Hot Topic

The top 11 things you need to know when you switch to Pure Planet

• 5 February 2018
  • 47 replies

• Community Manager
  • 6028 replies

So you've visited the Pure Planet website or downloaded the app, used it to find your address, sent us your annual electricity usage (and for some of us, gas too) from your current supplier's latest statement, or used our handy estimate figures, received a quote and switched. What happens next?

Here’s a quick guide, with some handy links to more tips from other members of the community, and our FAQs.

One - it takes 17 days to complete your switch
When you join, we'll show you the date we expect to start powering your home.
It takes about 17 days for your supply to be switched across. You will not be cut off from your old energy supplier.
A day after you join you will get your welcome pack by email and we'll confirm your switch date.

Your account will show you a countdown to your switch date:

Counting down to your switch

We’ll also tell your old supplier that you're leaving - you don't have to tell them, but remember that you should NOT cancel your old Direct Debit either, as your old supplier will need to be paid in full for any outstanding usage, or to give you a refund if they owe you.

Two - we'll let you know when we're ready for your first meter reading

A few days before your switch date you will be asked to submit your first meter reading.
The 'Send a meter reading' moon will appear in your account's homepage, and you will get an email from us to remind you.

Please don't try to send us a meter reading before then.

Three - what to do if there's a glitch

We’ll email you if there’s any delay in your switch. Your old supplier may block your switch. They can't tell us the reason for the block, so if this happens we'll email you to let you know your switch has been stopped and recommend you contact them to find out why they've blocked your switch - for example, they may block it if there's an outstanding balance on your account with them.

Four - explore the community
While the switch process is taking place you can explore the Pure Planet community for latest news including updates and energy news.
It’s also the best place to ask other members any questions, or add your own answers to their queries, about renewable energy or for general tips for reducing your carbon footprint.

Five - send us your first meter reading
About five days before your switch date, submit your first reading. You'll get an email to remind you. At the same time this 'Send a meter reading' moon will appear on the homepage in your account.
Follow the
simple instructions. You’ll just need to type in the meter readings and send them, and we’ll do the rest.

Six - what we do with your first readings

We will send these readings to your previous supplier, and based on those readings they will be able close your old account and give you a refund if you’re due one - this can take up to six weeks from your switch date.

Seven - switch day, spend your rewards
Switch Day! Congrats - from now you’re paying less for cleaner energy. If you joined us from a friend’s referral, you’ll both be able to claim your reward about two days after your switch date. The voucher code will be sent to you via email. Happy spending!

Eight - your first payment
Your switch date is also your first payment date. This is because we estimate your energy spend in advance so we can buy it at the lowest possible rate.

Nine - your monthly statement
A day after your first month anniversary - a month after your switch date - you get your first monthly statement. This is also the date that your energy tracker appears in your account, showing your daily forecast and energy usage and monthly spend. We'll send you a statement each month. Remember to send new meter readings each month.

Ten - your final bill from your old supplier
Typically this takes six weeks from your switch date to reach you. Your old supplier will work out whether to refund you any credit or collect any payment owing.

Eleven - help other members
The community has loads of useful information - use our search bar at the top of the every page.
If you can’t find what you need - Ask the Community. Don’t be shy! And if you see another member in need of advice, please post a reply to help them out if you can.

Not switched yet? Simply
download the Pure Planet app or go to the Pure Planet website

47 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8
This thread and links are proving extremely beneficial 👍👏, as I think about starting the switching process this month for my parents. Many thanks 👏 for the refresher. Extremely helpful 👍
I already have a barn conversion that has a supply registered to Pure Planet, we are now having a new supply installed in our main house (after two years or refubishment) and I just received the new MPAN number, at this stage we dont have a meter or a supply to switch. Is a new supply something that Pure Planet can facilitate?
pooresj;17272:
I already have a barn conversion that has a supply registered to Pure Planet, we are now having a new supply installed in our main house (after two years or refubishment) and I just received the new MPAN number, at this stage we dont have a meter or a supply to switch. Is a new supply something that Pure Planet can facilitate?

Hi @pooresj
Welcome to the community!
We're not quite ready to connect new supplies.
What you should do is sign up through one of the 'Big 6' and once you're up and running, switch to PP. 🆙
After starting my switch successfully for the last week I’ve been unable to get the app to work
It crashes every time I try to open it on my iPhone.
I’ve tried deleting and reinstalling but still doesn’t work.
I’ve now managed to open app on my iPad. Why is now no longer working on my iPhone when it did to begin with ?
Hi @LH22
Thanks for posting. 🆙
Are you still having an issue with your iPhone?
If it's working OK on the iPad it sounds like a hardware issue, not an account issue.
Might be worth deleting the app from your phone and reinstalling it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Good Morning Marc,

On Saturday 8th the moon appeared and I submitted both metre reads and two photos.
No email reminders or a message noted below.
Today the 10th the moon had the message we're ready for your first metre readings.
So I'Ve submitted both G&E readings and no option for photos.
Photo's via wattBot today the 10th.
Still no email reminder unless that comes if a customer does not respond..sorry guess I'm splitting hairs.
Hi @Strutt G
Yep, there's a bug currently which means your app will ask for your opening readings twice.
It's being worked on.
By all means send them twice to be sure 🆙
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Hi Marc, re system Bug....which dated readings and photos where sent to EE Bacause T G's response via Wbott was unspecific?

whilst trying to ask this question today my IOS 9 iPad kept crashing. So reloaded App and could not re logon. Reloaded App and re loggged using my partners Ipad IOS 10 without a problem.
Hello, since it's a direct debit only payment, what happens if my energy usage is lower than th stated at the beginning, please?
For example, assuming I am on holiday for a month and now using the energy. Wat happens to my payments in this case?
Thank you
I have been charged £108.35 for gas you are not supplying me!!! Your agent Niall confirmed that you had taken this in error and that I would have the money put back into my account within 5 days. That was -0 days ago. I have messaged and been told you are looking into it. It’s reall not hard. I only have electricity with you as my gas switch did not go through. I really need this money back as it’s not yours!!! Can someone pls do something to sort this mess out. I have written to your complaints department but again nothing heard from them
Good morning @Maralyn
Let me flag this up with our Member services team and get it sorted
If there's any account info I need I will send you a direct message 🆙
milaia;19660:
Hello, since it's a direct debit only payment, what happens if my energy usage is lower than th stated at the beginning, please?
For example, assuming I am on holiday for a month and now using the energy. Wat happens to my payments in this case?
Thank you

Hi @milaia
Thanks for posting. 🆙
The DD payments stay the same - with the 60/40 winter and summer split.
But we review DD payments periodically, and we'll be in touch if you're building up too much credit, to adjust the DD payments.
Does that answer your question?
To be honest, not really... So, effectively, the meter readings don't matter, as well as energy usage that can fluctuate. And people can submit understated numbers to get their pricing lower...?
milaia;19780:
To be honest, not really... So, effectively, the meter readings don't matter, as well as energy usage that can fluctuate. And people can submit understated numbers to get their pricing lower...?

Hi @milaia
Meter readings are really important. It makes sure that your DD payments are aligned to your energy use.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi milaia
Yes you could submit understated numbers for your quote, and it would result in your pricing (the amount of your DD) being lower. Of course if the pricing was substantially lower than your usage this would catch you up as the meters are currently read twice a year by meter readers; it's always going to catch up with the customer eventually it will just take a bit longer if they don't submit meter readings.

This falls to a number of arguments
1. The case for submitting what you think you're going to use based on your previous usage..not everyone knows their exact amount but figures are available for your supply. This is the preferred option because short of a catastrophic weather event (think the big freeze of '62) there will be no nasty surprises for the customer.

2. Submitting a yearly estimate that's a little bit lower, this is also OK for some because the first payment is taken up-front so if the discrepancy is relatively small (<10%) this will amble along nicely for a year, where it will be reviewed and the new DD set according to what you've used over a year. (not great if everyone did it - see below)

3. Submitting an over-estimate - some like to do this to make sure they are well and truly covered for the year.

If you're talking about submitting incorrect readings on a monthly basis, well that's up to the customer, it won't affect the DD amount for quite a while, but it will catch you up eventually.

PP work on forward buying some of their energy so it's important that they have a reasonably accurate idea of the figures, hence why meter readings are important to them.
Of course there are going to be fluctuations, the largest variable is the temperature, but they have to start somewhere so averages are a good starting point.

To put the cat firmly among the pigeons, my question would be are you saying it would be fairer to pay for exactly what you use when you use it? If so, until smart meters are firmly established, that becomes an argument for pre-payment meters (and look where that leads).

milaia;19780:
Marc;19172:
Hi @Strutt G
Yep, there's a bug currently which means your app will ask for your opening readings twice.
It's being worked on.
By all means send them twice to be sure 🆙

Hi @Strutt G
I know you're way past the opening meter readings stage now.... but just wanted to let you know that we've updated the app today which has a fix for this.
Thanks for flagging it 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Cheers Marc
Hi, I have just completed purchase of my house and would like to use PP from now on. Previous owners have notified their energy supplier that thay are moving out and I do not wish to use that supplier even for one day. How do I get PP supply me right away? Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Gintas;21833:
Hi, I have just completed purchase of my house and would like to use PP from now on. Previous owners have notified their energy supplier that thay are moving out and I do not wish to use that supplier even for one day. How do I get PP supply me right away? Thanks

Hi Gintas, welcome to the PP community!

I think the answer to your question is that you can't, however keen you are! I think you will need to initiate the switch immediately and it will then take 17 days to go through. I don't think you can sidestep the process that Marc describes at the top of this thread.

Hope all goes smoothly

Stephen
how do I post a message?
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi David9
It looks like you've answered your own question unless you aren't talking about the community.
If you need to contact someone at PP you use the app, 3 white lines, dropdown menu, click on help, click on ask wattbot, type "message the team" and ask. Replies are not instant.
Is there something the community can help with?
David9;26308:
how do I post a message?
Can I switch if I’m on prepayment meters
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Hi Glen65.
In a word, yes, but, you will have to contact your current provider and ask them to switch your meters to credit mode before you switch
Hi,
Switching from NPOWER to PP is in progress - first payment to PP is going to be taken 18th Oct.

Question: Before I signed up to PP, I had booked installation of a smets2 smart meter on the 9th October by NPOWER. Should I cancel that, do PP prefer to install their own smets2? Or okay to let NPOWER go ahead and me to pass details to PP for them to link to it?

​andee

​ps. if this is posted in wrong section, feel free to move it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi andee
tough question
and what would be a very long answer, which I've tried to compress - my advice is to cancel
1. It will confuse your switch because the meter database may not update immediately (it never does) so PP will have the wrong meters listed- this will cause you much grief.
2. The npower meter will become dumb when you switch (I know the the interoperability theory but forget it, it won't be smart at least not for a long while)
On the minus side you may be waiting a while for a pp meter but that's better for you as they are currently ironing out lots of issues.
Cancel it - is my opinion but do take advice from others...
andee;39191:
Hi,
Switching from NPOWER to PP is in progress - first payment to PP is going to be taken 18th Oct.

Question: Before I signed up to PP, I had booked installation of a smets2 smart meter on the 9th October by NPOWER. Should I cancel that, do PP prefer to install their own smets2? Or okay to let NPOWER go ahead and me to pass details to PP for them to link to it?

​andee