Solved

Switching to Pure Planet with Economy 10

• 24 September 2020
  • 4 replies

Hi,

Can someone please: -

• Confirm for certain that Pure Planet has the facility to handle economy 10 with a configuration as follows:
    • all electric no gas, one address, one property, one account.
    • two separate “classic” meters, two different Mpans 
      •  one supplies normal domestic electricity only (currently termed standard), power available 24/7:
      •  other night storage heaters only (currently termed off peak), power on Midnight - 7am plus three hours 7am to mid night.
  • How best to get a sensible quote (give total Kwh or split off peak/standard)
  • Explain which or what tariffs would apply?
  • Can  I switch such a system using the online facility?

Thanks for any help in advance ,

icon

Best answer by Nataly 25 September 2020, 15:32

Hey @Tapper and welcome to the Community :relaxed:

Great, in-depth, first post! Nice one @woz for getting stuck in and helping, too. 

At the moment, you wouldn’t be able to switch to Pure Planet @Tapper, due to the metering arrangement you’ve described above. 

It’s taking a while to get our systems ready to support such structures - we’re working on a solution to get this right as soon as possible, though. :thumbsup:

If you’re happy to, we’d love to get back in touch once this is up and running, to get your MPAN’s onboard - and to understand a bit more about your experience when joining us/ on supply with us? That’d help us really understand this type of meter setup! 

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

hi @Tapper 

I can’t confirm as such because I don’t work for Pure Planet but I can tell you I think it very unlikely you will be able to switch if you have two separate (unrelated) supplies and two mpans as you describe. There was an FAQ explaining this but I can’t find it, but I’m more sure than not that with your configuration you can’t.

Read my reply from a while back here.

https://community.purepla.net/ask-the-community-15/econ-10-meter-change-over-5405

and

https://cosmos-api.purepla.net/upload/f6b65911-391f-410d-adf5-46c04c18e234

I’m sure @Nataly or @Marc (admin) will be along to confirm this is the case.
@Nataly wasn’t there an faq about this? I can’t find it.

If I’m correct sorry to disappoint, but have you searched for a supplier who can support it?

If none you might consider having it rewired to a single supply, with a 2 rate meter, the overall economy timing being done by the single supply two rate meter, but you would then need to have a separate timer to switch the heating as required because it would not then be timed by the meter,….to explain...

If the meter does do the heating timing it has 5 cables (2 in 3 out, the 3rd wire being the control for the heating) PP don’t support that, but if the meter is 2 in and 2 out and you are charged at the appropriate E7 rate (which is the same rate day and night for PP) but with a separate timer controlling the heaters, they do support that. That is my understanding,

I may be wrong as things move on, wait for further clarification.

(On a personal note I can’t see why they can’t configure a single account with two mpan’s and one standing charge  if that’s what the customer wants and the customer agrees, although there may be ofgem rules preventing it, but knowing the rate is the same it would be an expensive choice with economy 10. I’m sure there must be cheaper options?)

Hey @Tapper and welcome to the Community :relaxed:

Great, in-depth, first post! Nice one @woz for getting stuck in and helping, too. 

At the moment, you wouldn’t be able to switch to Pure Planet @Tapper, due to the metering arrangement you’ve described above. 

It’s taking a while to get our systems ready to support such structures - we’re working on a solution to get this right as soon as possible, though. :thumbsup:

If you’re happy to, we’d love to get back in touch once this is up and running, to get your MPAN’s onboard - and to understand a bit more about your experience when joining us/ on supply with us? That’d help us really understand this type of meter setup! 

Thanks for getting back to me Woz, easy this is not!

I was part way through answering and Nataly reply arrived (thanks also), all very helpful, even if PP can’t help now still worth finishing - slightly modified, one step at a time: -

What is meant by a 'related supply', PP site links all seem to lead to a dead end and I can't find anything sensible on the web? By 'separate' I meant one supply (supplier) split to feed two independent meters. All supply/meter wiring sealed (not visible) independent electrician cannot gain access or count wires as you suggest Woz.

PP's terms and conditions says : -

1. if you are on an ‘Economy 10’ (differential) electricity plan; or 

What does 'Differential' mean?

Understand that PP does not have two rates, that is not an issue. provided rate is competitive and PP’s is!

Nataly Presuming we have understood one another and you still can't help immediately, I'm sure you'll understand when I say I am obliged to try and find an alternative supplier, nevertheless I will be please to hear from you and help where I can when you are ready

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Tapper 

I’ve sent you a Direct message

It’s not so much the incoming wiring but the wires out of the meters, but since you have 2 meters and 2 supplies (or so you said) it matters not.

Differential is a posh way of saying it’s more than 1 rate, (see below, it’s ambiguous) the t+c’s are not easy to understand for most people, further disambiguation would help, (E7 is considered differential and they do support that if it’s one supply.)

Differential tariff is an example of demand side management where the price per unit of energy varies with the consumption. If a power utility uses differential tariff, it may change the rate per kWH of energy used during different times, such as raising the price during times of high energy consumption and lowering the price during times of low energy consumption. This helps balance the rate at which power is used and the rate at which power is created.