Solved

Switching is a con

Switching is a con. Attractive rate at first but actual costs soon outstrip original amount debited per month and a negative balance is soon a reality.
icon

Best answer by talldave 9 June 2019, 10:32

Jarl;30875:
Switching is a con. Attractive rate at first but actual costs soon outstrip original amount debited per month and a negative balance is soon a reality.

Switching is a customer choice, how can it be a con? Advertising false prices or hidden price increases might be a con. So how exactly have you been conned?

If you entered false consumption data into a comparison site and switched on the basis of its results then you have conned yourself and are presumably unhappy that you actually use more energy than you said you did?

From Pure Planet's perspective, the only price change recently has been a gas price reduction. I would suspect, therefore, that most of their customers would describe this positively and not as a con.
View original

12 replies

Hi Jarl,
Welcome to the Community Forum for PP members.
Are you having a "go" at PP specifically......or is this just a "gripe" at switching in general.
The accuracy of your "new" pricing (DD) for your switched supply, is purely dependent on the accuracy of the details of consumption, that you supplied to your new prospective supplier.
​My own experience is that my "expected annual usage" is right on track with the figures that I supplied to instigate my switch.
If you feel that you have been "conned" then I would suggest that you may wish to "review" the information that you supplied for your switch.
If you could supply a few more details regarding your usage......then maybe we can understand the reason for your dissatisfaction with your switch process.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Jarl;30875:

The rate hasn't changed recently except to go down - so as Gray says, it's your usage that has made it cost more and/or your initial direct debit was fixed too low - and that was based on info you gave. On this basis, even if you hadn't switched you would still be paying more, possibly a lot more.

Hard to see how switching was a con...

Stephen
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi Jarl
Please can you post some details?
What attractive rate were you quoted, When has the rate has risen?
Also it would help if you could please post details of your original quote?
Finally have you submitted regular meter readings and have the readings appeared on your statement?

If you're referring to Pure Planet, you pay only for the energy used plus monthly charge, and your monthly payments are fixed according to your original annual estimate. Which part has gone wrong for you?
The community are helpful, we don't like to see unhappy customers....

...oh, I forgot to ask, can you post the including vat unit rates and standing charge of the company you switched away from so we can compare?
​thanks
Jarl;30875:
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Jarl;30875:

Hi Jarl, I hope the community can help your current situation, the replies above are spot on and I look forward to your response.
​Regards.
Jarl;30875:

Switching is a customer choice, how can it be a con? Advertising false prices or hidden price increases might be a con. So how exactly have you been conned?

If you entered false consumption data into a comparison site and switched on the basis of its results then you have conned yourself and are presumably unhappy that you actually use more energy than you said you did?

From Pure Planet's perspective, the only price change recently has been a gas price reduction. I would suspect, therefore, that most of their customers would describe this positively and not as a con.
Hi Jarl,

Any more information/details for our members to consider??
I did not enter any false information. The rates and charges based on my consumption were lower than my previous supplier, that is why I switched. Net result? Almost 300 pounds in arrears..
Userlevel 7
Badge +1
Hi jarl.
When did you switch?
When you switched if you stated that you used 10000kwh of leccy for example but in reality you used 15000kwh then this is why you are in arrears.
The rate per kwh is as you say lower than your previous supplier then either your using more or the inital usage estimate was too low.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi Jarl
That's interesting, and we'd like to help you work out why this has happened.
Please ignore that comment about false information, the point being made was did you give information which reflected the real amount of energy you use or was it a best guess?
You say you've compared the rates and charges old supplier and PP, and PP's are lower - by how much approximately?
Read through these questions:

1.Presumably your statement is now showing -£300?, is that after you've made the DD payment or before?

1. Can you tell us how much you were paying your old supplier monthly?
How much is your summer payment with PP? (you do know it's split winter/summer?), or better still what was your annual quote from PP?

2. How long have you been with PP? What was your switch date? (it matters because of the Summer/winter split)

3. Also as I mentioned earlier (with typos, sorry) can you check your statement to see if the readings you've submitted are appearing on the statement
AND
4. I don't know how long you've been with PP?? but have you had a final bill from your old supplier? Was it as expected and do the start readings on your PP statement agree with what you submitted and are those the figures the PP statement started from?

If you are able to answer these questions we can start to figure out exactly what's happened. I am certain you haven't been conned, PP are not in business to con people, but clearly something has gone amiss and we'd like to help you find out why.

If you don't want us to help you just say so, and we'll retire gracefully and point you in another direction.

P.S. we are all happy customers a bit like yourself, we don't work for PP.

Jarl;30900:
I did not enter any false information. The rates and charges based on my consumption were lower than my previous supplier, that is why I switched. Net result? Almost 300 pounds in arrears..
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Hi Jarl, you can see that the above comments, from community members, are supportive and intended to drill down to the core of the issue. We only want to help a fellow customer so, post back if you want, and hopefully a resolution can be found.
Regards
Jarl, maybe the fact that PP takes your monthly payment in advance has got something to do with it? Also I would say that lt took a couple of months before my account was 'straight' after switching to PP. It didn't bother me as I keep track of how much electricity I use and how much I pay so I knew exactly what my position was each month and I was confident that my account would appear correctly eventually, which it did. If your consumption figure was correct initially and you've not used an excessive amount of electricity since joining then your account will come right in the end. Remember the 'MONTHLY IN ADVANCE' bit tho'.
Hi @Jarl
Welcome to the community!
Thanks for posting. 🆙
You've had some fantastic replies from fellow Members here :foldedhands:
No need for me to add anything, except to say I hope it's being sorted for you.
Our Member services team have picked up your message in WattBot.