Solved

Switching and Direct Debit

• 5 August 2019
  • 3 replies

Hello,
After living in student accommodation for a year, I've decided to move into a flat for the first time. The house is currently under SSE for electricity and gas, but I've decided I want to switch to Pure Planet. Now, since it's my first time living in a flat and I have no idea of how much I consumed last year, to get my quote as realistic as possible I typed in my sister's yearly use (since she's had a very similar living arrangement). I've then gone through the rest of the steps but I stopped at the Summary, where it says "Your payments will be:...". This is where I'm confused, because I still don't know if the kwh usage I put it is what I'll actually use!
My question is, is the quote just an estimate or is it what they will actually charge me every month? Because if I end up using more or less that just doesn't make sense. Why are they saying "this is how much we'll charge" is no one knows how much I'll consume yet?

This is the only thing keeping me from switching, can someone please clarify this for me?? Thank you.
icon

Best answer by Jon1 5 August 2019, 19:14

Hi cami uche.
All you can do is make an educated guess as to what your usage will be. This will set your payment plan, but once you have been with PP 3 or 4 months you can review your payments and adjust them as required, its an easy thing to do.
If you post back with size of flat, how many rooms type of heating and hot water then members will give their opinion on an estimated usage.
View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Hi cami uche.
All you can do is make an educated guess as to what your usage will be. This will set your payment plan, but once you have been with PP 3 or 4 months you can review your payments and adjust them as required, its an easy thing to do.
If you post back with size of flat, how many rooms type of heating and hot water then members will give their opinion on an estimated usage.
The flat is ground floor of a semi-detached house, with two bedrooms and kitchen/lounge in one room. Heating is gas and I don't know about electricity. The estimates I put in were 1800kWh for electricity (yearly) and 8500kWh for gas (also yearly).

Does that mean that for the first 3-4 months PP will charge me the quote I got as a fixed price even if I consume more or less than those kWh?
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi Cami
It is NOT a fixed price for however much you use. You will get charged for the amount of energy you use. (plus membership fee aka standing charge at £8 per fuel per month less dual fuel discount £2.50/month in your case as 2 fuels)
You will be expected to submit meter readings, once a month is fine but more frequently if you wish and you get a statement every month, the balance of which will vary according to how much you've used.
The payments are split so you pay 40% of annual estimate in warmer months, 60% in colder months. (it changes in October)
Your estimates don't look too bad, it depends how cold it is and how well insulated the house is, if anything I'd say the electric is a bit on the low side if there are 2 of you. If the hot water is heated by gas then go with those figures, as said you can always adjust if you find the statement balance goes too far in debit. if it's an electric shower I'd up electric a bit if gas hot water I'd up the gas a bit.
In answer to your question PP's charges are like any other company, there is no conspiracy or trick to charge you more. If you use more you'll pay more in the end, use less you'll pay less. PP won't adjust the DD unless your balance goes way out of kilter or if prices change substantially (down or up- it's a variable rate)
The charges are based on what they estimate (or you estimate) you'll use.
​I think you're over complicating, you'll use what you use, and if necessary adjust the DD accordingly as said.

Cami Uche;34693:
The flat is ground floor of a semi-detached house, with two bedrooms and kitchen/lounge in one room. Heating is gas and I don't know about electricity. The estimates I put in were 1800kWh for electricity (yearly) and 8500kWh for gas (also yearly).

Does that mean that for the first 3-4 months PP will charge me the quote I got as a fixed price even if I consume more or less than those kWh?