Solved

Switch from business to home tarrif

• 17 October 2020
  • 6 replies

We run our business from our home address and so can have either a business or home tarrif for electricity. Currently we have a business contract from EON which is ending soon. We wish to change to a home tarrif so we can use 100% renewable energy from Pure Planet. Is this possible and if so how do we apply?

Many thanks 😊

icon

Best answer by Mavis1 18 October 2020, 20:32

Im around. 

If the current supplier has the meter registered as a commercial meter, you will have to get them to reregister it as a domestic meter. Once the meter is registered as domestic then you can switch to PP.

If you get a refusal from current supplier then remind them that if the meter supplies any part of a property that you pay council tax on then by law they have ro change it to domestic. 

Obviously if its already domestic then you can switch now  

View original

6 replies

Welcome to the community @Hanholt :relaxed:

That’s a spot on reply from @Mavis1 :thumbsup:

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Im around. 

If the current supplier has the meter registered as a commercial meter, you will have to get them to reregister it as a domestic meter. Once the meter is registered as domestic then you can switch to PP.

If you get a refusal from current supplier then remind them that if the meter supplies any part of a property that you pay council tax on then by law they have ro change it to domestic. 

Obviously if its already domestic then you can switch now  

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Hanholt 

I apologise my reply was misleading, when I said meter I should have said supply or meter point. The physical meter is the same. 

I believe although I have no experience personally (@Mavis1 does if he’s around?) that the supply is either treated as a domestic supply or business. If it’s designated as a business supply or if you need the account as a business account PP can’t take it on.

Have a look at your MPAN, does it start with 01?

I don’t know how e.on do things as far as business supplies go but as far as PP go  if it’s a standard domestic meter and you don’t need business invoices and the account is a personal account you should be OK.

Switch and see what happens? You’ve lost nothing if it doesn’t work.

As far as I know the meter is home use. We changed supplier a few years back and as we used around 50% of our use for business during peak season we went onto a business contract. Our meter is the same as when we moved in 10 years ago though

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Hanholt 

hi

If your meter is registered as a business meter you can’t switch to PP.

Badge

Hi @Hanholt 

@Marc should be able to let you know on Monday. 

It may depend on your usage/business.

Unless any of our other lovely community know the answer. 

Great to have you on board 👍