Solved

SMETS2

• 11 August 2019
  • 6 replies

Hi I am in the process of switching from Shell Energy to pure Plant for gas and elec. I have a SMETS2 meter but cannot access usage numbers for opening balance. Presumably Shell, who obviously can read the meters at their end with know the closing figures. Just wondered do you find out from them as although I have a display machine showing how much I use each day I have nowhere that shows the 5 or 6 figure dial numbers I used to be able to see. Obviously if it is not possible for you to read my smart meter I will have to cancel the transfer. Any help before deadline of 22nd August greatly appreciated. Thank you
icon

Best answer by woz 12 August 2019, 21:18

hi alinobs
The numbers don't carry on from the previous meter; when the smart meter was fitted it will have started from zero, and your old readings will have been given to Shell for billing.
The numbers shown on the new meter assuming you've read the right numbers are the ones you should submit to PP.
Where you may find a problem is if the SM was fitted in the near past the meter database may not have been updated yet. It can take quite a while so when PP switch you over they may have the wrong meter info, and you'll need to send them photos of the new meters.

alinobs;35222:
Thanks for this, managed to get a display up but seems very low numbers, was expecting them to carry on pre smart meter. Will contact Shell and see if they can help.
View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Hi
you should still be able to 'wake up' your meters to take the readings.
have a look at this link
https://community.purepla.net/content/241-how-to-read-your-smart-meter#ckb_start
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Hi alinobs.

On the actual meter itself, pressing the correct button will bring the readings up on the display.
Not sure what to press as it depends what model you have.but doing random ones wont harm anything. Im sure someone will post the correct combination.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi ali nobs
​I'm sure you will get readings but don't worry about not getting them preventing the switch, it won't.
You can't be charged twice for the same energy so worst case scenario if unable to get the readings from the meters in time (which I'm sure you will) you could always contact Shell and ask them for the latest reading, it may be a bit askew from the exact reading on the meter, but it'll be corrected and as said what you pay shell for you won't pay PP for.
More to the point you will need to read the meters once a month, or if there's a difficulty post back and community/Pure Planet (or Plant) will advise.
No need to cancel.
alinobs;35120:
Hi I am in the process of switching from Shell Energy to pure Plant for gas and elec. I have a SMETS2 meter but cannot access usage numbers for opening balance. Presumably Shell, who obviously can read the meters at their end with know the closing figures. Just wondered do you find out from them as although I have a display machine showing how much I use each day I have nowhere that shows the 5 or 6 figure dial numbers I used to be able to see. Obviously if it is not possible for you to read my smart meter I will have to cancel the transfer. Any help before deadline of 22nd August greatly appreciated. Thank you
Thanks for this, managed to get a display up but seems very low numbers, was expecting them to carry on pre smart meter. Will contact Shell and see if they can help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi alinobs
The numbers don't carry on from the previous meter; when the smart meter was fitted it will have started from zero, and your old readings will have been given to Shell for billing.
The numbers shown on the new meter assuming you've read the right numbers are the ones you should submit to PP.
Where you may find a problem is if the SM was fitted in the near past the meter database may not have been updated yet. It can take quite a while so when PP switch you over they may have the wrong meter info, and you'll need to send them photos of the new meters.

alinobs;35222:
Thank you, I have managed to do this now. Was confused about numbers being so low. 🙂