Solved

Question prior to switching to Pure Power

• 31 August 2018
  • 10 replies

Hi there.

I'm currently looking to switch suppliers and Pure Power seem to offer the best prices for me at present. But before switching I have some questions I'd like to get answered please.

I'm currently with EON and have a smart meter installed. I'm aware that this meter, or the display gadget at least, will only work with EON as the supplier. But can you please tell me what would happen if I switch to Pure Planet? For example, will the display stop working but the supply continue through the current electric and gas meters? Or will the meters need to be swapped out? Should I expect a Pure Planet smart meter, and if so would this mean replacement of the meters themselves or just the display gadget?

Also, I'd just like to say... I understand that Pure Planet is an app based supplier with all account management and contact carried out via the app. But right now I'm typing this in on a web browser window on my phone since I can't even access the this forum from a desktop PC I'm sat infront of. Clicking 'log in' on the desktop sends me to a page telling me to check my email... the email has a 'log into your app' link in it which opens a web page telling me to follow the link from the email on my phone. I understand the nature of how Pure Planet operates via the app, but the fact that I can't even write this in a web forum via my desktop and I'm instead forced to write it via a browser (not even the app!) on my phone is ludicrous.
icon

Best answer by woz 31 August 2018, 21:41

MikeyB1979;11022:
Hi there.

Also, I'd just like to say... I understand that Pure Planet is an app based supplier with all account management and contact carried out via the app. But right now I'm typing this in on a web browser window on my phone since I can't even access the this forum from a desktop PC I'm sat infront of. Clicking 'log in' on the desktop sends me to a page telling me to check my email... the email has a 'log into your app' link in it which opens a web page telling me to follow the link from the email on my phone. I understand the nature of how Pure Planet operates via the app, but the fact that I can't even write this in a web forum via my desktop and I'm instead forced to write it via a browser (not even the app!) on my phone is ludicrous.

hi Mikey
I've been scratching my head (mind you this may just have been caused by fleas from the cat) trying to figure out what was causing this desktop login confusion, it was staring me in the face, and is in fact caused by the wording in the email. This needs fixing and I'm sure it will be picked up when Marc (from PP) reads this.
The problem is the wording in the email is misleading if you are logging into the community from a pc based browser:

Quite simply the wording should read log into Pure Planet.
edit: Close any browser windows which are looking at purepla.net, (more of this in a later post when I've done some checking)
If you open the email on your computer and either click on the pink block, or copy the link embedded in the block (right click, copy link address) and paste into your browser, it will open a window in which you are then logged into the community on your desktop. It's persistent, as long as you don't log out you won't have to repeat that step. I never really noticed the wording was incorrect for desktop users, and for once I'm going to apologise on PP's behalf - and mine for missing something so obvious!
Does that solve the issue?

I would also suggest a vast and necessary improvement to the login process would be a message, when login is not successful, to say authentication has failed please check you are using the latest email.
View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Hello mikey.
Ok lets try and answer your queries without confusion.
Once you switch your in home display gadget will become useless after a few days.
The actual meters will not need to be changed but you will have to wake them up in order to get the meter readings. Have a read in knowledge section on how to read a smart meter for more info.
The electric and gas will not go off.
Pure planet hopefully early next year will be installing (if you want them) 2nd generation meters which continue to work with any supplier.these will replace your current meters.
It is app based only and you will need a compatible phone/tablet type device to run the app iphone or android. You can i believe access the community via desktop but im not sure how as i dont have one @woz can help you with that.
Granted the whole app based idea is not for all but no expensive and usually pointless call centre is one of the reasons PP (in my case ) are 20% cheaper than SSE.
Hope you join it is worth it.any more queries just ask on here. I had a few before i signed up but once i got my head round how it works ive had nothing but excellant service.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
MikeyB1979;11022:
Hi there.

hi Mikey
I've been scratching my head (mind you this may just have been caused by fleas from the cat) trying to figure out what was causing this desktop login confusion, it was staring me in the face, and is in fact caused by the wording in the email. This needs fixing and I'm sure it will be picked up when Marc (from PP) reads this.
The problem is the wording in the email is misleading if you are logging into the community from a pc based browser:

Quite simply the wording should read log into Pure Planet.
edit: Close any browser windows which are looking at purepla.net, (more of this in a later post when I've done some checking)
If you open the email on your computer and either click on the pink block, or copy the link embedded in the block (right click, copy link address) and paste into your browser, it will open a window in which you are then logged into the community on your desktop. It's persistent, as long as you don't log out you won't have to repeat that step. I never really noticed the wording was incorrect for desktop users, and for once I'm going to apologise on PP's behalf - and mine for missing something so obvious!
Does that solve the issue?

I would also suggest a vast and necessary improvement to the login process would be a message, when login is not successful, to say authentication has failed please check you are using the latest email.
Hi Jon1, hi Woz. Thanks for the replies!

Thankfully I'm now logged in at my desk and typing this on a keyboard instead of with my fat thumbs on a touchscreen. I'm not sure what was going on earlier, or what I might have done. But clicking the "Log into your app" button in the email did not bring me back to the forum cover page and log me in. It took me to a page directing me to click that pink button by opening up the email on my phone. Unless, as I say... I messed something up?! Logged in now on my PC anyway as I said, so all good.

Regarding the points about the meter, thanks very much for those answers. Just what I was after! So, I should not need to have my current meters replaced, though the smart functionality of my wireless device will simply stop - got it. I did also notice that the meters themselves have LCD displays, but they're blank. Each meter has a keypad, but no obvious button for turning the display on. I guess this is what you referred to as the need to "wake the meters up"? I'll check out that FAQ as you've suggested, thanks. Do either of you know if Pure Planet are offering current gen smart meters if customers want them? I'm not saying I definitely would (might just wait for the next gen), but if PP do offer them would I need new meters then? Or just a new wireless gadget that would read from my current meters?

Good to hear a bit of a thumbs up for the service too. I'm pretty comfortable with the idea of it all being app-managed and I'm tech savvy (I do a techy job), buuuuut... I do have some niggling reservations about the idea of not being able to speak to anyone directly on the phone if it comes to it. Trustpilot reviews are glowing though. And the tariff offered is far and away the best available to me. Though it's variable of course, so.... hmm, a bit to think about.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Hello again.
Firstly no PP will not be installing 1st gen meters at any point.
To wake up the meter is a sequence of numbers or letters depending on the meter. Your current supplier could tell you what it is i presume.
When the 2nd gen ones are ready PP will offer them and if you want them will install them free of charge.
The need for contact is an issue for a lot of people but really how often do you need to speak to your utility company? Marc the community manager can answer most queries and the bits he cant he can ensure the relavent person makes contact via email.
Yes its variable but since i joined at start of year only seen one price change whuch was on par with all the other suppliers so the price gap between them was the same.
Userlevel 6
Hi Mikey and welcome.
I wouldn't worry about not being able to speak to a person on the phone (it's what makes PP so unique and keeps the costs down anyway) and you should be able to find the answers you need via the app or the community in the most case anyway (there are a few of us lurking here that work in the industry anyway 😉 so shouldn't be anything we can't answer).

As for the desktop thing, I suspect it has something to do with the embedded link within the email expecting you to use the app for the community but it is so much easier to type on a computer. I got around this infinite loop by copying the link (not clicking it) and pasting it into chrome.

I know quite a bit about 2nd generation smart meters if you would like to know more I would happily chew your ear off for days on the subject! You will need a full new set of meters as the 1st generation and 2nd generation are not compatible with each other, which therefore means a new in home display which will all be offered by PP when the time comes. I wouldn't worry about losing your smart functionality for now because it won't be long before the meters are swapped by Pure anyway. Eventually 1st generation will be enrolled into the central network to operate like 2nd generation but that's sometime off yet and needs testing.
Hi @MikeyB1979
Welcome to the community!
Great stuff getting stuck in with these questions
Nice one @Jon1 and @woz and @MrSmart for helping out a new community member
You guys rock ⭕️foldedhands:
Hi everyone, thanks for all of the replies. All sounds pretty positive :)

So, what I've taken from this in all is:

I would NOT need to have my electricity and gas meter replaced. Supply would continue through my current meters, but my current 'smart' device (EON) will stop working.

I will need to take monthly meter readings and supply them to PP via the app. This requires 'waking up' my current meters. Doing this requires a sequence of numbers of other keys which my current supplier may be able to provide.

PP will NOT be offering G1 smart meters of their own.

PP plan to offer G2 smart meters sometime in the future (possibly 2019). Taking advantage of one would require replacement of the current electricity and gas meters

One last thought - my current electricity meter is an economy 7 meter and the PP tariff doesn't appear to be. It has a single rate 24 hours per day (12.180p per kWh). Does this effect the need for the meter to be changed or not?

It's nice to hear some praise on here for PP anyway, gives me a bit of confidence. I think my apprehension over there being no phone line is mainly down to the idea that having someone to speak to live, there and then, would be more beneficial. Though that's not necessarily true - a phone line doesn't necessarily mean better customer service of course. The main thing is that I can get in touch and can rely on someone getting back to me if need be, preferably without being expected to wait a week at a time - can anyone vouch for PP in this manner? I gather there's no form of live chat through the app, so I guess everything is via mail if there is a need to communicate?

Cheers
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Hi again mikey.
All your points are correct.the last one about economy 7,when you give your readings you will still need to provide day and night readings from your meter. The app will allow this.
But yes you still pay the same price for all your usage.
Ive never had communication problems and if its a real big time emergency PP will phone you if need be. But has that one off emergency ever happened to you?
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
MikeyB1979;11172:
Hi everyone, thanks for all of the replies. All sounds pretty positive :)

One last thought - my current electricity meter is an economy 7 meter and the PP tariff doesn't appear to be. It has a single rate 24 hours per day (12.180p per kWh). Does this effect the need for the meter to be changed or not?

Cheers

Just to clarify, PP DO offer an Economy 7 tariff, it's just that their day and night units are the same price. If you have an E7 meter, as jon says you will be prompted to enter 2 readings.

Suppliers can treat your readings in whatever way they wish, for example previously with one of the big 6 it benefited me not to be on an E7 tariff for a while, the meter stayed the same and they just added up the two readings. (Not all suppliers will do that)
(If the meter database says you have an E7 meter you will be asked for 2 readings)
Hi @woz. What would we do without you! We've got a fix for this now - I'll let you know once it's gone in. Thanks again for your investigative work 😃