Solved

Paying twice

• 28 November 2018
  • 12 replies

In November my monnthly my previous suppler and my new fuel provider pure planet both took direct debit payments. Will this happen again in December? How will this duplication be rectified?
icon

Best answer by Gil 28 November 2018, 20:24

Yes, PP will take a payment on the 1st day of the switch-over, so you do pay in advance.

This is the trouble when you switch, you can get an overlap of payments from both suppliers. The important thing is to ensure that the opening meter reading matches the closing meter reading of the old supplier, then you are not double charged for the energy itself.
View original

12 replies

Same thing has happened to me, does that mean we pay in advance with pp?
Userlevel 6
Yes, PP will take a payment on the 1st day of the switch-over, so you do pay in advance.

This is the trouble when you switch, you can get an overlap of payments from both suppliers. The important thing is to ensure that the opening meter reading matches the closing meter reading of the old supplier, then you are not double charged for the energy itself.
Sharonmildren;18111:
In November my monnthly my previous suppler and my new fuel provider pure planet both took direct debit payments. Will this happen again in December? How will this duplication be rectified?

Hi @Sharonmildren and @Peanut
Welcome to the community! :)
@Gil is right, first payment is taken on the day that you switch to Pure Planet.
And it takes up to six weeks from your switch date for your opening readings to be validated and final bills from your previous supplier to get to you.

This thread has more info.
When did you come on supply with Pure Planet?
Thank you. As I can't afford for this to happen a second month in s row I have canceled my direct debit with my last provider. I appreciate this goes against guidance but the cost of transfer is too high for me to pay two providers two months in s row. Can I leave thi concern with Pure Planet to update previous supplier re meter readings and reimburse my account as part of supply transfer processes? Sharon
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi Sharon
No and yes
No PP won't reimburse you for anything your previous supplier may owe you once the bill is finalised, but your previous supplier will. Yes PP will agree closing readings with them.
The problem you have now is that your previous supplier won't be able to reimburse you as they won't be able to pay into the account you paid from because you cancelled the DD.
You should have first asked them whether they would reduce the DD to as low as possible, which many will do if you are in reasonable credit with them.
You'll need to contact them to instruct previous supplier where to pay any refund.

Sharonmildren;18257:
Thank you. As I can't afford for this to happen a second month in s row I have canceled my direct debit with my last provider. I appreciate this goes against guidance but the cost of transfer is too high for me to pay two providers two months in s row. Can I leave thi concern with Pure Planet to update previous supplier re meter readings and reimburse my account as part of supply transfer processes? Sharon
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
You are right Woz but if you take me current supplier they appear to be holding on to customers money with no end dates.....and deploy under hand tactics. All appears ok when you speak to the front line who are untrained or say anything ...as you said they might be next....
I've just switched and had the same problems. Double money out of my account. I've also cancelled my direct debit with outfox as I can't afford for the double bill again. Very unsatisfactory start with my new supplier. Maybe a bit more info would be helpful as this seems a common problem.
This is ridiculous Ive had the same with first utility . I switched to PP on 25nov and FU took out money on the 6th December . I wish I had cancelled the DD now . FU said 4-6 weeks for final bill then another 10 days to process refund. I’m going to escalate it with FU I need that money for xmas and want it back .
Nick cheatle;18886:
I've just switched and had the same problems. Double money out of my account. I've also cancelled my direct debit with outfox as I can't afford for the double bill again. Very unsatisfactory start with my new supplier. Maybe a bit more info would be helpful as this seems a common problem.

Hi @Nick cheatle
If you cancel your DD it means Outfox won't be able to refund you.
It can take up to six weeks for your opening readings to be validated and then used as closing readings for previous suppliers.
Here's a bit more info. Hope it's useful.
I too am having problems with Outfox The Market.

I’ve calculated they owe me money on the day I switched. They have the final electricity meter reading (it’s on my last statement) but they’ve carried on billing me after the move date based on their estimates. I’m not happy with them taking money each month which only puts them even more in debt to me. I’m not their bank!

I’ve already invoked the direct debit guarantee to stop more money going to them. Doing it that way doesn’t close the direct debit.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
I think the industry regulator/policy makers need to take a HARD look at the current switching system which seems archaic and clunky. Old & new suppliers have to send meter readings to the energy industry database for VERIFICATION etc etc.. This can be slow and issues arise at this point such as “reading disputes, meter serial number issues erroneous switching etc”. Not to mention suppliers holding onto customers credit. It will be interesting to see if system improves in the near future to help customers & suppliers.
Hi @David j
We agree.
Ofgem are looking to bring in much faster switching. So that it'll take just 1 day to switch.
It'll bring the whole switching system into the digital age. Giving people much more choice and opportunity to choose renewables and pay less.
More info here.