Solved

Objection raised by current supplier

• 12 November 2018
  • 13 replies

When notified of my switch my current supplier objected and i understand this stops the switch? The reason was i had not given them a meter reading for 6weeks. I have done that today but until my direct debit goes out they say they will not allow my switch. My debit when paid will put me £70 in credit... Do i need to do anything or will it resolve the changeover automatically? I am paying the dd they suggested & setup. Is this a delaying tatic?
icon

Best answer by MrSmart 14 November 2018, 20:54

Just for context, a domestic supplier can only object for debt and it has to be over a certain level (£250 if memory serves) so the fact that they haven't had a reading for several weeks is nonsense and definitely a bad tactic on their part. Can you say who it is (PM me if you don't want to say publicly)

For non-domestic they can also object because you're in contract but that's not the same for domestic (which is why exit fees exist instead)
View original

13 replies

Limechase

Don’t worry it will resolve itself. It can take up to 6 weeks for your incumbent supplier to produce your final bill but dont worry you wont pay twice for the same energy. If you are currently paying in arrears with your existing supplier it is unlikely a delaying tactic, they just want to make sure you pay for what you have used. Remember that PP works on a monthly in advance basis and so you may have two DD coming out at the same time.

Hope you get sorted soon

TonyMcH
Limechase;16243:
When notified of my switch my current supplier objected and i understand this stops the switch? The reason was i had not given them a meter reading for 6weeks. I have done that today but until my direct debit goes out they say they will not allow my switch. My debit when paid will put me £70 in credit... Do i need to do anything or will it resolve the changeover automatically? I am paying the dd they suggested & setup. Is this a delaying tatic?

It’s my understanding that a Supplier is only allowed to “object” to a transfer once. Ordinarily this would be to protect the financial position of the Supplier, e.g. customer owes money. I don’t believe a Supllier can object / prevent a switch a second time. Give it a try!
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi @Limechase
I could be wrong here but since I'd like to know the answer I'm replying...

There is a mechanism for PP to talk to your supplier and then if your supplier has removed the objection PP can re-appy and in theory you need do nothing.
However...
As far as I can make out from the Ofgem license document, that process isn't mandatory or automatic, but I would have thought it was in the interests of the would-be-new-supplier to communicate because they want you as a customer, however I can't put my hand on heart and say that PP will do this automatically, only @Marc Will be able to clarify that, (and I'd like to know the answer.)

If they did nothing it would simply time out and you'd need to re-apply

They can object because of debt, but even if they haven't had a reading for 6 weeks they must have a very good idea from your historic usage whether the account is likely to be in debt, I don't think it's a delaying tactic but it does sound like over zealous revenue assurance.
It's understandable if you don't want to say but who are your supplier?

Limechase;16243:
Limechase;16243:

Hi @Limechase
Welcome to the community!
Thanks @TonyMcH @Hanny @woz for helping out a new Member :raisinghands:
I've checked this out with our Member services team and your switch is still on course for 29th November
You don't need to do anything else until we ask for your opening meter readings about 5 days before 🆙
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
@Marc
Do PP chase it up in every case when there's been an objection, and do they then reapply (assuming the objection has been addressed that is)?
Marc;16360:
Hi @Limechase
Welcome to the community!
Thanks @TonyMcH @Hanny @woz for helping out a new Member :raisinghands:
I've checked this out with our Member services team and your switch is still on course for 29th November
You don't need to do anything else until we ask for your opening meter readings about 5 days before 🆙
woz;16378:
@Marc
Do PP chase it up in every case when there's been an objection, and do they then reapply (assuming the objection has been addressed that is)?

Hi @woz
No we don't. The person's account is reset, so that they can sort out whatever needs sorting with the current supplier, and then switch again.
Hi,
so you mentioned my application to switch is ongoing & I need do nothing, however then state its not usual, just checking, mine is still ontrack?
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
@Marc
limechase beat me to it, your reply is at odds with what happened here where you've replied that the switch is still on course after the objection has been addressed?

Marc;16486:
Hi @woz
No we don't. The person's account is reset, so that they can sort out whatever needs sorting with the current supplier, and then switch again.
Hi @Limechase
We can't see any objection yet.
But it's possible that your current supplier is going to. Seeing as they told you they would!
Just to be safe our Member services have cancelled your switch and reset the app.
You need to start the switch again via your app.
Userlevel 6
Just for context, a domestic supplier can only object for debt and it has to be over a certain level (£250 if memory serves) so the fact that they haven't had a reading for several weeks is nonsense and definitely a bad tactic on their part. Can you say who it is (PM me if you don't want to say publicly)

For non-domestic they can also object because you're in contract but that's not the same for domestic (which is why exit fees exist instead)
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
That seems a bit drastic if you didn't have an objection, Limechase I hope you don't blame me for that...
Marc;16512:
Hi @Limechase
We can't see any objection yet.
But it's possible that your current supplier is going to. Seeing as they told you they would!
Just to be safe our Member services have cancelled your switch and reset the app.
You need to start the switch again via your app.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi @MrSmart
is the £250 a rule or a guideline, I can't find a rererence to it?
MrSmart;16548:

Userlevel 6
You may be right @woz. I'm not sure where I got £250 from. Re-reading some Ofgem-y stuff looks like the Supplier can object for any debt as long as it has been outstanding for 28 days.

For prepayment customers the magic number is £500 but that is where the supplier can choose to use the Debt Assignment Protocol and port it to the new supplier (if agreed).