Solved

Newbie - membership fee?

• 17 September 2020
  • 7 replies

I’ve just signed up to PP and saw a random post about membership fees so thought I’d take a look on here. It looks like the term “membership fee” confuses a lot of people, and I can see why.

Why don’t they just call it a “standing charge”? My quote never mentioned a membership fee and included a very specific daily standing charge rate which will obviously fluctuate from bill-tobill, depending on the length of the month. So how can it be a fixed fee each month (£8, is that right)?  Does it only apply to variable rates and not fixed rates?

My brain is slightly scrambled by this, so if anyone can shed any light it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by woz 18 September 2020, 02:06

actually the above answer is sort of correct and not correct (sorry Angela!)

The mem. fee aka standing charge is charged monthly (I’ll get back to that point in a moment), but if you have both fuels there is a dual fuel discount  of £2.50 per month.

Also it’s £8.00 p.c.m on the variable tariff, but on the fixed tariffs it’s £6.67*

Thus the monthly charge on the variable is £13.50 if dual fuel (£8.00 if single) and
……… the monthly charge on the variable is £10.84 if dual fuel (£6.67 ish if single)

The fee is costed monthly unless you leave in which case it’s costed pro-rata daily, so the charge will appear differently in months with fewer or more days (in other words it wont calculate to the exact figure on any statement, but overall it will calculate to the the correct yearly figure which is either £96 per fuel or *£80 per fuel less d.f discount if two fuels.

...There’s no fuel like an old fuel…..(that’s not directed at anyone, I just felt like writing something)

If it makes you hap[y call it a standing charge, for reasons none of us will ever understand PP decided to call it a membership fee, perhaps it encourages a collective spirit...(or if it  doesn’t it should!)

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi
You're talking to fellow PP customers on this forum,. But we will help if we can.

The membership fee is £8 per month each for electric and gas. So, £16 per month for both.

This charge does not fluctuate month to month. 

And applies to both variable rates and fixed rates.

There is no difference from calling it a membership fee or standing charge, it equates to the same thing  

Hope this helps. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

actually the above answer is sort of correct and not correct (sorry Angela!)

The mem. fee aka standing charge is charged monthly (I’ll get back to that point in a moment), but if you have both fuels there is a dual fuel discount  of £2.50 per month.

Also it’s £8.00 p.c.m on the variable tariff, but on the fixed tariffs it’s £6.67*

Thus the monthly charge on the variable is £13.50 if dual fuel (£8.00 if single) and
……… the monthly charge on the variable is £10.84 if dual fuel (£6.67 ish if single)

The fee is costed monthly unless you leave in which case it’s costed pro-rata daily, so the charge will appear differently in months with fewer or more days (in other words it wont calculate to the exact figure on any statement, but overall it will calculate to the the correct yearly figure which is either £96 per fuel or *£80 per fuel less d.f discount if two fuels.

...There’s no fuel like an old fuel…..(that’s not directed at anyone, I just felt like writing something)

If it makes you hap[y call it a standing charge, for reasons none of us will ever understand PP decided to call it a membership fee, perhaps it encourages a collective spirit...(or if it  doesn’t it should!)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Let's face it, 'standing charge' is a ridiculous expression anyway, but it's just the one people (older people?) know. We could run a competition to find a better one, as no doubt Pure Planet's original founders did, but trying to change the English language is not always easy - lol?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I call it  " grundgebur   "  

Just getting in some practice.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I call it  " grundgebur   "  

Just getting in some practice.

Not sure it will catch on... !

Hi @atprice 

Welcome to the community! 

Thanks for posting.

You’ve had some great replies from other Members.

What @Angelabikerbabe said here is spot on: There is no difference from calling it a membership fee or standing charge, it equates to the same thing  

And @woz got it 100% here too: If it makes you hap[y call it a standing charge, for reasons none of us will ever understand PP decided to call it a membership fee, perhaps it encourages a collective spirit...(or if it  doesn’t it should!)

It also allows us to be a bit more flexible in the future. We could offer additional services and products as part of your membership fee. Say, a discount on charging EVs, as an example. Or some kind of home battery storage.

Thanks everyone, I think I get it now. Possibly because of the comparison sites PP have to show it as a standing charge otherwise it can’t be compared. I’m happy :-)