Solved

Moving into Pure Planet supplied home

• 24 October 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

I am at my wits end and in desperate need of help/advice. I’m sorting out my own electricty for the first time ever and somehow was under the impression it would be a pretty seamless thing.

The property I’m moving into is being supplied by Pure Planet but as the previous tenant moved out a few weeks back, the supply has been switched off. 

I followed this link to sign up https://purepla.net/rfo/movein but it didn’t send me through the same steps as this community post suggests https://community.purepla.net/moving-home-42/moving-in-property-supplied-by-pure-planet-10312

Specifically, it didn’t ask me when I’m moving in, and tells me I’ll be switched in 17 days. I’m moving house on October 27 and worried I’m going to spend two weeks without electricity.

I did reach some posts here and everyone was assured, but I’m extra worried as the electricity is currently cut off in the property and because the move-in date step wasn’t in my sign-up process. Panic!  

Thank you in advance!

icon

Best answer by Gwyndy 24 October 2020, 11:11

I’m extra worried as the electricity is currently cut off in the property and because the move-in date step wasn’t in my sign-up process. Panic!  

Hi @babyalien2000 

Welcome to the Pure Planet Community.

I’m not sure, but I think this may be part of your issue.

Normally, when you move into a property, you become a ‘deemed customer’ of the ‘existing supplier’ - even if someone moves out before you move in, that supply should still exist - so you should not have ‘the supply switched off’ therefore, can you just check:

That Pure Planet is the ‘existing supplier’?

That your supply is not just ‘switched off’ inside the property?

Your impression that it should be ‘seamless’ is indeed, reasonably correct, OFGEM (the regulator) has the process set-up in such a way that it should avoid a property being without a supply in all but extreme circumstances.

So far as I understand it, if you are moving into a purchased property, the situation is:

Occupier ‘A’ moves out - for example on 1st October.
The supply becomes in effect ‘dormant’ - as it’s not being used - but it still exists.
Occupier ‘B’ moves in - for example 1st November.
Occupier ‘B’ gives meter readings, which should be the same as those ‘Occupier A’ moved out with to the supplier of the property when ‘Occupier A’ lived there.

If you are moving into a rented property, the situation is:

The supply becomes the responsibility of the landlord of the property.
Occupier ‘B’ gives meter readings, which  may differ from ‘Occupier A’ but any difference should be paid by the landlord.

In either situation, ‘Occupier B’ can then, should they so wish, either:

Remain with the ‘deemed supplier’ (who you believe is Pure Planet), 

or move to another supplier (currently Pure Planet believe they are not the ‘deemed supplier’ and you are trying to do this.)

Please advise which situation should apply to you.

I can’t see any reason why you should have moved into a property that has been ‘cut off’ - unless the previous occupant did something to cause it to be deliberately disconnected - and so far as I understand, disconnection is not an ‘easy process.’

There’s an ‘emergency’ option if your supply isn’t working within the Pure Planet app, but as you are being offered ‘quotes’ I’m not sure Pure Planet actually think the property is theirs to allow you to use that.

@Marc and @Nataly, who are the two Pure Planet staff members on here, will likely not be in until 27th, and none of us have access to account information.

Kindest Regards

Gwyndy

View original

4 replies

I’m extra worried as the electricity is currently cut off in the property and because the move-in date step wasn’t in my sign-up process. Panic!  

Hi @babyalien2000 

Normally, when you move into a property, you become a ‘deemed customer’ of the ‘existing supplier’ - even if someone moves out before you move in, that supply should still exist - so you should not have ‘the supply switched off’ therefore, can you just check:

Your impression that it should be ‘seamless’ is indeed, reasonably correct, OFGEM (the regulator) has the process set-up in such a way that it should avoid a property being without a supply in all but extreme circumstances.

So far as I understand it, if you are moving into a purchased property, the situation is:

The supply becomes in effect ‘dormant’ - as it’s not being used - but it still exists.
Occupier ‘B’ gives meter readings, which should be the same as those ‘Occupier A’ moved out with to the supplier of the property when ‘Occupier A’ lived there.

Occupier ‘B’ gives meter readings, which  may differ from ‘Occupier A’ but any difference should be paid by the landlord.

or move to another supplier (currently Pure Planet believe they are not the ‘deemed supplier’ and you are trying to do this.)

I can’t see any reason why you should have moved into a property that has been ‘cut off’ - unless the previous occupant did something to cause it to be deliberately disconnected - and so far as I understand, disconnection is not an ‘easy process.’

There’s an ‘emergency’ option if your supply isn’t working within the Pure Planet app, but as you are being offered ‘quotes’ I’m not sure Pure Planet actually think the property is theirs to allow you to use that.

@Marc and @Nataly, who are the two Pure Planet staff members on here, will likely not be in until 27th, and none of us have access to account information.

Kindest Regards

Gwyndy

Userlevel 1

Hi @babyalien2000 

Kindest Regards

Gwyndy

Thank you Gwyndy! So it appears there was a miscommunication between the letting agent -- it turns out there’s actually a top-up key that simply wasn’t in, thus they thought the electricity had been turned off. So crisis averted, I can move in and have heating, and then figure out my next steps. Sorry for the panicked alarm bells and *huge* thanks for such a thorough and helpful reply! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

👍👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏Gwyndy and Babyalien

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @babyalien2000 

If your meter gas a top up key, the supplier will not be Pure Planet. At the moment PP do not support prepayment meters.