Solved

MoneySavingExpert Switch - ACTION Email Link Not Working

Hello community

I switched to PurePlanet today using Money-savingExpert - and shortly afterwards received an email saying 'ACTION: Finish your energy switch to Pure Planet' with a link to verify my email and finish the switch.

Now when I try and click the link it says…

'Sorry, your log in didn't work

Please make sure you're clicking on the link in the most recent email from us. Each log in link we generate is unique and can only be used once.

If you use a Virtual Private Network (VPN), this may prevent you from being able to log in. Try turning this off and trying again. Thanks.'

​I'm not using a VPN so that isn't the problem. I have, however, used this same email address to get some quotes on the PurePlanet website for other family members over the past 2 days - so wonder if that is why things are being confused.

I'm hoping to get the switch all sorted ASAP as moving into my new flat in 2 weeks - so if somebody could offer any help it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks, Joe

icon

Best answer by Nataly 17 July 2020, 15:02

Hey @jww95ting 

I can see how this is causing confusion! Let’s get this sorted for you :smiley:

The issue here will be the multiple quotes for one email address - since we can only support one email address per account, when you’re going through to the ‘confirm’ page it’ll be showing you the most recent quote you got for that email address! Hope that makes sense? 

I think the next steps would be to a) delete all the recent login/verify emails from your email inbox, as that may cause confusion and then b) to get a new quote for the property you’d like to switch to start the process again. 

Big thank you @Dunroving @Duppy @woz for the really useful help for another Member!:heart_eyes:

View original

16 replies

Hi @jww95ting it may be that this email was not the latest - check your Spam/Junk folder in case there’s another email from Pure Planet. You always have to use the most recent email containing a “password link”, as every time you log in this way, a new “password link” is generated and the old one no longer works. 

(Also, as a side note, if you don’t close the tab in your browser, you will stay logged in, even if you turn off your computer)

Thanks @Dunroving - I do have more recent emails, yes - but they're in relation to a different quote I was doing for my parents' house - and then even newer emails about logging in to the PurePlanet community. 

But none of the email links are working now - and I'm worried my switch details have disappeared into the ether somewhere...

Thanks @Dunroving - I do have more recent emails, yes - but they're in relation to a different quote I was doing for my parents' house - and then even newer emails about logging in to the PurePlanet community. 

But none of the email links are working now - and I'm worried my switch details have disappeared into the ether somewhere...

Hi @jww95ting , I’m not 100% sure (things change after you actually switch, compared to when you are trying to switch - when weird things can happen, as you are finding!) but some possibilities below.

First though, I’m wondering whether the fact you are/have been logging in to two accounts on the same computer may be the issue (i.e., cookies trying to log you in to account A, when the “password link" you clicked on is for account B?) You could try clearing cookies and trying again, before you try anything else?

The other *possibility*, though unlikely if you initiated the switch only today, is that your switch has been blocked by your current provider - do you have a negative balance with them at the moment? If so, I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the issue. If it is, then some time in the next 24 hrs (maybe not, as it’s the weekend), you would get an email from your current provider telling you they have blocked the switch, and an email from PP saying they have cancelled the switch.

I don’t want to confuse things by adding more detail, because it may not even be this - but it’s a possibility (my first attempt to switch was blocked and cancelled within 24 hours).

Alternatively, type the site address below in your browser, and you should get this page:

if you click “Go to account”, you should receive a new email with a “login/password link”

@Dunroving thanks again, so here’s what I’ve tried…

Tried clearing cookies and trying links again, no joy.

Definitely no issue with previous bills, I have double checked.

Tried going to purpla.net and clicked Log In - got a new email link - but when I followed that, it showed me details of a different quote from my family. 

I found this community thread below which says, having gone through MSE, the email link should take me directly to a summary of my switch - like the screenshot below...

https://community.purepla.net/switching-supplier-30/switching-to-pure-planet-from-a-price-comparison-website-10438

Starting to wonder if the only way ahead might be to setup the switch all over again through MoneySavingExpert but using a different email address?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @jww95ting 

I'm not sure what's going on but you can only have one property per email address. Trying to get your account details and family quote details from one email account is bound to cause problems.

Hi @Duppy 

I just used my email for getting quotes for them quickly - to see whether they might want to look into switching in future - never intended to follow through, but little did I know how complicated it would make things - doh!

@Nataly I wonder if anyone from Pure Planet could assist, please?

@Nataly **

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I’m wondering if the issue is that where the MSE PP email should link to a unique quote irrespective of email used it doesn’t, it uses the email as unique identifier.(that’s not good, I can see why it might but that could easily be fixable during the verify process where the customer could be asked to either verify or use a different email address)

If you’re on gmail you could easily amend your email (dot or +) on MSE and start again with no downside

As an alternative you could just start again on PP and join and ask PP to sort out the mse incentive flag afterwards, but without their confirmation that they will do that or it will work I can see why you might not want to.

Hey @jww95ting 

I can see how this is causing confusion! Let’s get this sorted for you :smiley:

The issue here will be the multiple quotes for one email address - since we can only support one email address per account, when you’re going through to the ‘confirm’ page it’ll be showing you the most recent quote you got for that email address! Hope that makes sense? 

I think the next steps would be to a) delete all the recent login/verify emails from your email inbox, as that may cause confusion and then b) to get a new quote for the property you’d like to switch to start the process again. 

Big thank you @Dunroving @Duppy @woz for the really useful help for another Member!:heart_eyes:

Okay thanks @Nataly!

If I start the quote through the Pureplanet website now, I assume I won't get any of the switch bonuses from MoneySavingExpert? (They're offering £30 credit and £25 cashback.) Or would the PP website still register me as coming from MSE if I use the same email?

@jww95ting 

Good question! Since there have been a few different quotes for different properties, to make sure you get the switching incentive I’d say it’s best in this case to get a new quote via MoneySavingExpert, to make sure the incentive is registered against the correct property! 

If you’re unable to get a new quote because you’re still showing as ‘switch in progress’ on their site, you can email energyclub@moneysavingexpert.com to have that updated :slight_smile:

Hi @Nataly 

I emailed MSE and they said to make sure you have cancelled my switch first before they update my account from their side. If you could check that for me, it would be great.

Thanks for your help.

Hey @jww95ting 

On the Community we don’t have access to your energy account - you could get in touch with the Member Services team to ask! In your Pure Planet app tap ‘get help and support’ > ‘ask a question’ and let them know you need confirmation of the switch cancellation :thumbsup: