Solved

making sure my switch date is alter my contract ends

• 31 July 2020
  • 5 replies

I've had confirmation that my 1st payment will be on 17th August but my  ontract with my current supplier doesn't finish until e1st August and I don't want to pay an early exit fee. Can you make sure this happens, thanks. 

icon

Best answer by Jon1 31 July 2020, 13:57

Hello Lickley1.

Fear not, if you are in the last month of a contract then your old supplier is not allowed to charge any exit fees. This is a rule governed by the regulators.

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hello Lickley1.

Fear not, if you are in the last month of a contract then your old supplier is not allowed to charge any exit fees. This is a rule governed by the regulators.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

hi @Lickley1 

A switch date can’t be changed unless you cancel and set it up again later, but the good news is that you can’t be charged a penalty if you switch 49 days or fewer before the end of your contract date, which you obviously have.

Don’t forget your old supplier will need to produce a final bill which can take up to 6 weeks so you may be paying 2 suppliers for a while. Your old supplier may agree to reduce or suspend the dd if you talk to them.

sorry @Jon1  posts crossed

Hi and thank you for your reply. I dont really want to be paying 2 suppliers for a while because that will cost more than the £35 exit fee. Am I better just cancelling and setting up in future? 

Hi and thank you for your reply. I dont really want to be paying 2 suppliers for a while because that will cost more than the £35 exit fee. Am I better just cancelling and setting up in future? 

Whenever you leave, you will be ‘paying 2 suppliers for a while’ about the only thing you can really do about it, provided you are in credit, is ask your current supplier if they can take a ‘minimal’ direct debit during the switchover.
The ‘switchover’ process is OFGEM mandated, it can take up to 6 weeks for your final meter readings to go through ‘validation’ - this is carried out by a third-party to ensure that each supplier charges you for what you used while with them.

This process is described here

It may  help this process if provide both suppliers with readings on switching day (Pure Planet will also ask for photos of the readings in case there are any issues.)

Once the process of validation has completed, you will receive a final bill from your current supplier, and shortly after that, you should receive either a final charge, or a refund.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

hi @Lickley1 

Although you may be paying 2 suppliers for a short period you will only ever ultimately be charged for the energy you use with each supplier, (and of course the standing charge while you are a customer).

You won’t end up paying twice for the same energy You will get the excess money back (if there is an excess) after the final bill is produced.