Question

Landlords - don't let your tenants use this supplier - very very hard to interact

• 31 July 2020
  • 3 replies

I am a landlord and my previous tenants signed up with this supplier. Because of the mad rules here, I have to sign up with the previous supplier in order to then switch.  It’s simply impossible to open an account then submit a reading. I have a period of about 8 weeks when the property is empty so because I can’t start the account properly, so my new tenants now can’t register and switch to their chosen provider. There is no process. The instructions are rubbish too, where is this Wattbot? No link in the app or in browser. The FAQ’s don’t work, so the instructions to use >Menu> Meter readings>   does not have a link to enter the readings, it’s yet another link to the FAQ or the community. I don’t want to ask the community! I don’t want to trawl through 319 replies on the same topic I just want to submit a reading! What’s so hard about that simple thing when you are a company that invoices based on a meter reading? My previous tenant said the same thing to me when leaving - this company is very very difficult to deal with. I am resorting to a good, old fashioned letter and they will have to deal with it that way. Look at how the other companies do this, copy their good practices and web interaction. End of rant. Sort it out and make it easy. 

3 replies

Hi @W2_3UW 

Thanks for the feedback. We’re working to make things easier for landlords and estate agents.

Check out this FAQ - it’s guide for landlords. It’s also got some useful info on what to do if you don’t want to join but just want to make a one-off payment.:thumbsup:

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I am a landlord and my previous tenants signed up with this supplier. Because of the mad rules here, I have to sign up with the previous supplier in order to then switch.  It’s simply impossible to open an account then submit a reading. 

hi @W2_3UW 

just a couple of points for anyone else reading this in the future, the “mad rules here” which you mention don’t exist, what you’re referring to applies to every single domestic energy company and is government/ofgem legislation. When you either move into a property supplied by a supplier or you become responsible after a tenant leaves you are what’s known as “in a deemed contract” with that supplier. You can switch away, but the supplier may, not unreasonably, want to ensure that you have an opportunity to pay what you owe.

The second point is as tens of thousands of customers have found is it’s really easy to open an account.

Where I will agree with you is that improvements are obviously needed particularly with communication (or you wouldn’t have ranted), .

I don’t work for PP

I am a landlord and my previous tenants signed up with this supplier. Because of the mad rules here, I have to sign up with the previous supplier in order to then switch.  It’s simply impossible to open an account then submit a reading. 

hi @W2_3UW 

just a couple of points for anyone else reading this in the future, the “mad rules here” which you mention don’t exist, what you’re referring to applies to every single domestic energy company and is government/ofgem legislation. When you either move into a property supplied by a supplier or you become responsible after a tenant leaves you are what’s known as “in a deemed contract” with that supplier. You can switch away, but the supplier may, not unreasonably, want to ensure that you have an opportunity to pay what you owe.

The second point is as tens of thousands of customers have found is it’s really easy to open an account.

Where I will agree with you is that improvements are obviously needed particularly with communication (or you wouldn’t have ranted), .

I don’t work for PP

Hi Woz,

Thank you for clarifying, I am aware that every energy supplier is governed by these rules, by ‘here’ I should have referred to the UK, not just this supplier. I am sure that the tens of thousands who have signed up are okay (although my previous tenants voiced the same concerns about communications in a parting email to me). Perhaps landlords and agents are a special case and Marc of PP has now kindly provided the link to a specific FAQ. I’ll cool down my rant now!