Solved

im owed over £100

• 22 November 2021
  • 22 replies

Hi everyone 

I don’t know if anyone can help with your planet only over £100 how do I get this money back. 

icon

Best answer by Duppy 23 November 2021, 17:49

View original

22 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Refunds are on hold since pure planet went into administration. Once your account is rolled over to Shell (prob in January) they will issue any money owed to you. 

Hi everyone 

I don’t know if anyone can help with your planet only over £100 how do I get this money back. 

I’m owed nearly £350. It will come back but in time. Sadly some months ahead.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi everyone 

I’m owed nearly £350. It will come back but in time. Sadly some months ahead.

@G4RHL 

is that assuming future energy is free or have you allowed for future costs?

I’m just making the point that on one hand one is “owed” what was left with when PP went under, and on the other hand energy costs ae still ongoing, people don’t seem to count the latter part.

It isn’t helpful for anyone to suddenly change the assumption from “I have ongoing credit to pay for my energy costs” to  “I am owed”  because in essence nothing has changed apart from increased costs. All that leads to is a future bill shock.

“is that assuming future energy is free or have you allowed for future costs?” An odd comment to make in the light of the discourse. No need to complicate a simple issue. 

What I wrote assumes nothing, it is a statement of fact. I have credit with PP.  That means I am owed that money. We all know that the cost of energy supplied, whether by PP or Shell,  will be offset against a credit held.  We agreed to our accounts being set up on that basis.

Indeed it has happened this afternoon. My credit has now dropped to £306.27. I will owe something to Shell. Don’t know how much, although I can now work it out. It may be the case that they owe me once it is sorted. I expect the latter, particularly assuming my DD payments continue as they are now. 

Hello @Mot77 

Thanks for posting! Spot on advice from @Lapa here - this may also be a useful read:

I’m in credit. Will I get my money back?

Yes. Your balance will be carried over to Shell Energy. They will be in contact with you soon and will let you know how to manage your balance.

Why can’t I get a refund?

Any credit you have with Pure Planet is protected and will be transferred across to Shell Energy. Once your new account is set up with Shell Energy, you’ll be able to request a refund from them.

I hope this helps!

I’ve contacted shell apparently  because I switched to SSE and pure planet went bust they won’t refund me so it’s still with pure planet 🤷‍♂️

Hello @Mot77 

When did you receive your final bill from PP?

Never did just logged into my account had +£115 cancelled the DD so never got the refund 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

“is that assuming future energy is free or have you allowed for future costs?” An odd comment to make in the light of the discourse. No need to complicate a simple issue. 

@G4RHL 

I disagree and your response is, to be blunt but said with a smile, rather patronising.  You’ve either missed the point of what I wrote or more likely seen the post as an attack which it wasn’t. It was said to make a general point about what people are posting generally. (“I’m owed” being the point). Perhaps my post was too subtle or not subtle enough.

I would also add that in 99.9% of the “simple” cases on here there is usually every need to complicate a simple issue. 

(and it transpires that in the context of further information posted by the OP, that it isn’t relevant to this particular thread anyway)

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Mot77 

If I understand your post correctly, this may help 

@woz Definitely too subtle.  I would not complicate the simple issues too much. You will lose the reader!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@woz Definitely too subtle.  I would not complicate the simple issues too much. You will lose the reader!

the reader or all readers? Do you think some people might actually be capable of understanding?

(that isn’t subtle and there are no longer any simple issues, sadly that’s life these days..)

@woz “Do you think some people might actually be capable of understanding?”

Yes, when handled relatively simply, but in my experience over many years there are quite a number who struggle no matter how simply you put it That is life sadly. A number of our popular tabloid newspapers (but then are they not all tabloid now!) are written assuming their readers have a reading age of a 9 year old, if not younger.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@G4RHL 

well that explains it,  your first assumption is that most posters/other people are stupid whereas my first assumption is it’s more likely to be me who is stupid. It’s not as bad as you think it is to be stupid, because by being stupid you generally aren’t aware of the fact until someone else points it out to you, so you can just saunter along in your own way being oblivious of your own stupidity.
It works for me…

Best left there I think.

Nope, I never assume anybody is stupid, quite the reverse. If you have a reading age of a 9 year old it does not make you stupid. Far from it. There are not many people who are stupid, thank goodness. To be stupid one needs to be right at the bottom of the spectrum and only a few are there. But there are some, whilst certainly not stupid,  who sometimes don’t always engage the brain as they should, yet are able to,  and for whom gentle guidance produces  a eureka moment. That blindness is sometimes triggered by some event or cause. Nothing to do with intelligence either.

Then there is the need to gauge whether a person is genuinely not seeing what may lie ahead, and why,  or just wants to be awkward and for whom when the obvious is outlined they become more awkward, sometimes objectionable, particularly when they have realised they are wrong. The problem is to weigh up the nature of the person to be advised and adapt the advice to suit, ensuring it is not made over complicated. Not always an easy task, it can take time.

So no initial assumptions. 

Life would be easier if we were all the same, but thank goodness we are not, which makes people interesting, some difficult, some a joy to be with. Long may that be so.

..and my brain now being knackered, it is bedtime for me!😴😴😴

Hello @Mot77 

When did you switch to SSE?

Hello @Mot77 

When did you switch to SSE?

We moved in Aug 30 ( with pure planet)

Unknowingly letting agent swapped us to SSE on the 9th sept but we had payed our £150 bill before this, but we only needed to pay £35 for the 7 days with pure planet. so this had left us with £115 credit in our account. only realized we switched  when we had bills from SSE that we had moved .

We are now with Scottish power and shell are saying as we left before the liquidation (to sse) its not down to them and we have to contact pure planet.

@Mot77 There are two approaches here for you.

Firstly check your letting terms to see if it was the agent’s job to engage the energy supplier and why he changed the supply. The agent could be liable for your loss if you end up with one. Even if the agent has the power to change supplier he or she ought to have engaged with you first. It seems to me the agent has been negligent. Suggest to him that if you cannot get a refund as a result of his actions you will have to consider deducting it from the rent.

Secondly, and this is not the easy one for you. If you switched before PP stopped then you may be simply classed as a creditor. Your claim is against the administrator but he or she can only pay you if there is a surplus. According to PP’s last filed accounts there never has been one in which case there could be difficulties getting a refund. Hence my first suggestion of checking the terms of your letting and querying why the switch was made. 

What I don’t know, and there may be others here who do, is whether Ofgem have provisions covering this. Check with Ofgem.

@Mot77 There are two approaches here for you.

Firstly check your letting terms to see if it was the agent’s job to engage the energy supplier and why he changed the supply. The agent could be liable for your loss if you end up with one. Even if the agent has the power to change supplier he or she ought to have engaged with you first. It seems to me the agent has been negligent. Suggest to him that if you cannot get a refund as a result of his actions you will have to consider deducting it from the rent.

Secondly, and this is not the easy one for you. If you switched before PP stopped then you may be simply classed as a creditor. Your claim is against the administrator but he or she can only pay you if there is a surplus. According to PP’s last filed accounts there never has been one in which case there could be difficulties getting a refund. Hence my first suggestion of checking the terms of your letting and querying why the switch was made. 

What I don’t know, and there may be others here who do, is whether Ofgem have provisions covering this. Check with Ofgem.

Thanks for your help. At first I didn’t think they could then on reading over my tenancy agreement again it does say they do it will all new lettings. I’m waiting on a replyfrom ofgem thanks for your help 👍🏻

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Mot77 

the simplest approach is ..hopefully even if PP can’t refund your credit they may be able to pass it along to Shell who will then eventually refund you, after all it’s essentially no different from a credit on any other account. I hope that’s the case and apologies for all the previous (and what must have been rather frustrating) above banter. I strongly suspected it would end up being a lot more complicated than originally thought to be.

Perhaps I am too much of a cynic @woz but if this turns out to be a voluntary arrangement to pass it on to Shell, I hope it isn't, then the PP’s administrator may take a different view as his job is if debts are to be repaid, only pay those he has to and where unsecured, proportionate to the funds held. There are no funds held other than Ofgem earmarked credits of existing customers. I have little faith in the magnanimity of Administrators. It is not something they possess or are even permitted to have.

@Mot77 Try your landlord’s agent, ask him what the hell did he think he was doing. Please report back, we would like to hear if this is resolved and how. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@G4RHL​​​​​and @Mot77  

I don’t know how it will pan out but it would also be interesting to see what would happen if unsuccessful and then subsequently referred to the Ombudsman whether the Ombudsman would find against the administrators. What a bl**dy awful minefield the whole thing is which is why I’m hoping the simple approach will work.