Solved

I owe 500 pounds all of a sudden after paying 40 pounds a month, is this a mistake?

• 10 June 2019
  • 4 replies

So for the winter months ive been paying £60 a month and for the warmer months ive been paying £40. I had £240 given back to me in credit and after giving the first meter reading in a long time i owe £530. Is it possible that this is legit?
icon

Best answer by stephenrand 10 June 2019, 13:23

Hi there
As this is your first post, welcome to the Pure Planet community! When you post here you are talking to your fellow customers, not directly to Pure Planet.

My first thought on reading this was that the likeliest explanation is that you have misread your meter. But if you hadn't given a meter reading for a long time, then maybe your usage has gone up over the months and now it's caught up with you. That's why Pure Planet send you an email each month to remind you to send in your meter reading!

Can you let us know your last three meter readings with their dates? That will help to give us some idea of what is happening

Best wishes
Stephen

How
View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Hi
I presume that when you say it's the 1st meter reading you've given in a while, that would mean PP wouldve had to estimate previous months readings.

Sounds like you've used more gas/electric than was estimated, that's why the new bill is so high.

So, yes it can be legit.

Have you checked your meter readings are correct on your bill?
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Hi there
As this is your first post, welcome to the Pure Planet community! When you post here you are talking to your fellow customers, not directly to Pure Planet.

My first thought on reading this was that the likeliest explanation is that you have misread your meter. But if you hadn't given a meter reading for a long time, then maybe your usage has gone up over the months and now it's caught up with you. That's why Pure Planet send you an email each month to remind you to send in your meter reading!

Can you let us know your last three meter readings with their dates? That will help to give us some idea of what is happening

Best wishes
Stephen

How
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi Asimhussain
hi Asim
It is possible, but I don't understand your post.
If the account is in debit by £500, why would PP refund £240? It makes no sense?
If that is what happened and you hadn't had the refund you'd be in debit by £260, if you know over how many months that is you can work out how much you're underpaying, but see below.

A couple of points to help you check all is well, have a look at your statement, and see if the meter readings you've given are on the statement.
Try to give readings more often, once a month is fine when you get the reminder. It'll help you manage the account better.
Also have a look at your usage on the statement, it should give a projection on the rhs.
Your payment is very low you must be a very very low user, my guess is it's not high enough for the energy you're using, but if you get some figures from the statement and from the meter readings you can work out whether you're paying enough (the community will help if you wish).
So in answer to your question I'm sure it's legit as long as the meter readings used are correct.
​Come back with some figures?

Asimhussain;30970:
So for the winter months ive been paying £60 a month and for the warmer months ive been paying £40. I had £240 given back to me in credit and after giving the first meter reading in a long time i owe £530. Is it possible that this is legit?
Hi,
I agree with what my Community friends have told you.
The implication from your comment about supplying a meter reading "first after a long time" would indicate that PP have been "underestimating" your actual usage over a longish period. This would be rectified upon receipt of your latest meter readings. This consolidated bill shows your actual usage over the estimated period..... hence the apparently high bill.
I am concerned however that you indicated that PP had previously paid you a refund. I'm confused that PP would apply a refund when your account was running on estimates.
I feel that there is more information needed to completely understand your situation.
Maybe you could supply more info on estimates and dates and usage figures.