Solved

I'm switching to Pure Planet. Do I need to tell my old energy supplier?

• 21 September 2020
  • 9 replies

Hello, I switched from British Gas to PP yesterday. How will PP know to contact British Gas to cancel them and start PP ? I dont recall mentioning BG anywhere in the online switch.

Thanks.!

icon

Best answer by Gwyndy 21 September 2020, 16:05

Hello, I switched from British Gas to PP yesterday. How will PP know to contact British Gas to cancel them and start PP ? I dont recall mentioning BG anywhere in the online switch.

Thanks.!

Hi @Saibharat 
Welcome to the community.

There is a National Energy Industry database which will ensure your previous supplier is contacted, there is a 14 day cooling off period, during which British Gas may contact you to confirm that you want to switch to Pure Planet.

There is more information on switching here:
https://community.purepla.net/joining-and-switching-13/the-top-11-things-you-need-to-know-when-you-switch-to-pure-planet-1031

@Marc supplies a better explanation than I can, on the database and the way it affects the switching procedure here:
https://community.purepla.net/joining-and-switching-13/i-ve-switched-to-pure-planet-so-why-is-my-old-supplier-still-charging-me-1373?postid=4933#post4933

I can’t ‘quote’ the post here, so this is a copy and paste of the contents.
‘We sometimes get questions from members who have switched to Pure Planet but get a bill from their old supplier, or are still making Direct Debit payments to their old supplier.

They want to know how their old supplier can still be charging them when they have switched away and are already on supply with Pure Planet?

And then, to make matters more confusing, if they contact their old supplier to query this, some people are incorrectly told that we haven’t sent them your meter readings.

It takes about six weeks from the date you switched to Pure Planet for your old supplier to send you a final bill.

This is what happens in those six weeks:

From your switch date we send your opening meter readings (the ones we ask you to submit in the app about five days before your switch date) to an energy industry database.
If you don’t send us the opening meter readings we use an estimate based on previous usage.

Two things can then happen after that.

One
The industry database matches your opening meter readings. We and your old supplier are informed. If you’ve got electricity and gas, one set of meter readings may be sent to your old supplier several days before the other (this is why some old suppliers claim to only have received one).

The switch then progresses and your old supplier issues you a final bill.

But, occasionally, your old supplier may dispute the reading, for instance if your opening meter readings do not match their own records by a big margin.

If this happens we will liaise directly with your old supplier to reach an agreement. To help this process we’ll use the photos you took of your meter(s) when you sent us your first reading(s). We may need you to send us new meter readings and/or photos.

Two
We have a query with your opening meter readings, because there is a large difference between your opening meter readings and the estimated readings held on the central industry database, based on your previous energy usage.

If this happens, we will then liaise with your old supplier to reach an agreement. To help this process we’ll use the photos you took of your meter(s) when you sent us your first reading(s). We may need you to send us new meter readings and/or photos.

You will remain on supply with Pure Planet throughout.

It usually takes six weeks, after which you will get your final bill from your old supplier, and if you’ve been paying them for energy you haven’t used, you can expect a refund.’

Hope this helps.
Kindest Regards
Gwyndy

View original

9 replies

Thanks.!

Hi @Saibharat 
Welcome to the community.

There is a National Energy Industry database which will ensure your previous supplier is contacted, there is a 14 day cooling off period, during which British Gas may contact you to confirm that you want to switch to Pure Planet.

There is more information on switching here:
https://community.purepla.net/joining-and-switching-13/the-top-11-things-you-need-to-know-when-you-switch-to-pure-planet-1031

@Marc supplies a better explanation than I can, on the database and the way it affects the switching procedure here:
https://community.purepla.net/joining-and-switching-13/i-ve-switched-to-pure-planet-so-why-is-my-old-supplier-still-charging-me-1373?postid=4933#post4933

I can’t ‘quote’ the post here, so this is a copy and paste of the contents.
‘We sometimes get questions from members who have switched to Pure Planet but get a bill from their old supplier, or are still making Direct Debit payments to their old supplier.

They want to know how their old supplier can still be charging them when they have switched away and are already on supply with Pure Planet?

And then, to make matters more confusing, if they contact their old supplier to query this, some people are incorrectly told that we haven’t sent them your meter readings.

It takes about six weeks from the date you switched to Pure Planet for your old supplier to send you a final bill.

This is what happens in those six weeks:

From your switch date we send your opening meter readings (the ones we ask you to submit in the app about five days before your switch date) to an energy industry database.
If you don’t send us the opening meter readings we use an estimate based on previous usage.

Two things can then happen after that.

One
The industry database matches your opening meter readings. We and your old supplier are informed. If you’ve got electricity and gas, one set of meter readings may be sent to your old supplier several days before the other (this is why some old suppliers claim to only have received one).

The switch then progresses and your old supplier issues you a final bill.

But, occasionally, your old supplier may dispute the reading, for instance if your opening meter readings do not match their own records by a big margin.

If this happens we will liaise directly with your old supplier to reach an agreement. To help this process we’ll use the photos you took of your meter(s) when you sent us your first reading(s). We may need you to send us new meter readings and/or photos.

Two
We have a query with your opening meter readings, because there is a large difference between your opening meter readings and the estimated readings held on the central industry database, based on your previous energy usage.

If this happens, we will then liaise with your old supplier to reach an agreement. To help this process we’ll use the photos you took of your meter(s) when you sent us your first reading(s). We may need you to send us new meter readings and/or photos.

You will remain on supply with Pure Planet throughout.

It usually takes six weeks, after which you will get your final bill from your old supplier, and if you’ve been paying them for energy you haven’t used, you can expect a refund.’

Hope this helps.
Kindest Regards
Gwyndy

Thanks Gwyndy,

but how do you know I am with British Gas as I do not recall mentioning that.

Thanks Gwyndy,

The database knows, and so far as I understand it, Pure Planet doesn’t need to.

At least so far as I understand it, very overly simplified.

Pure Planet tells the organisation that run the database ‘we’ve been asked to supply this address’ - the database automatically contacts the current registered supplier (in your case British Gas).

The current registered supplier then have 14 days in which to contact you to check you want to switch (I don’t think they ‘need to.’)

If at the end of 14 days, you haven’t contacted Pure Planet to cancel your switch, and your current supplier hasn’t contacted the National Database to say ‘don’t switch’ your switch goes ahead (this takes 3 days).

You send Pure Planet photos of your meter readings on the day you switch, they send them to a ‘third party verifier’ who are either subcontracted to, or are  part of ‘The Database’ (I assume it has some really boring acronym, like good old NHSCR did) - they ‘check’ the readings to your ‘estimated usage’ on switching day.

It may sound really complicated, but for most people all this stuff happens ‘behind the scenes’ - you’re only aware of it if something goes wrong, all you and I should see is the ‘get a quote, ask to switch, countdown to switch, switching day’ bit.

Hope this helps

Gwyndy

(who really should change his name to Gwynyd as it’s easier to type.)

Edited to remove big white space at the end.

many thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Thanks Gwyndy,

The database knows, and so far as I understand it, Pure Planet doesn’t need to.

Hope this helps

Gwyndy

(who really should change his name to Gwynyd as it’s easier to type.)

@Saibharat  your post said 

Hello, I switched from British Gas to PP yesterday.
@Gwyndy I quite like Gwynyd, it has a Olde  Sir Lance a lot about it...

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Gwyndy  I quite like Gwynyd, it has a Olde  Sir Lance a lot about it…

For an extra old penny you could become a Welsh county...

I tried quoting but it didn’t like it.

@woz , I think @Saibharat  was referring to Pure Planet knowing for the switch, not my knowing in this thread.

@stephenrand 
I’d need to change a ‘y’ to an ‘e’ and ‘Gwynedd’ doesn’t share the same etymology as ‘Gwyndy,’ however, one day I may consider asking @Marc  or @Nataly.

Is anyone else​ finding the @name, thing being a bit rubbish at finding names today?

​​​​​​

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Gwyndy ha! yes thanks,  I realised some time after posting but it was too late!

But that also implies he was under the impression that “you” was PP (sic)

Brain too slow I’m afraid.

by the way, do you want us to have a whip round and collect some vowels for you?

@I @thought @the @name @thingy @stumbled @earlier, @but @it @seems @ok @now..

@Gwyndy

by the way, do you want us to have a whip round and collect some vowels for you?

Considering Welsh has more vowels (a; e; i; o; u; w; y) than English, and I have one of them twice (pronounced two different ways), perhaps we should lend English one to even things up? - or you could dig out a few of your old ones, personally, I’d quite like to see ‘ǣ+sc’ returned to the English language - one vowel, one consonant, and one word (‘ash’ for those of you wondering).