Solved

help understanding a quote

• 9 October 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello everyone,

I'm considering joining pure planet and have received my quote. I’m just a little confused trying to understand it if anyone is good with this kind of thing!

So I’d be looking at the 100% green variable tariff rather than the fixed contract. However, looking at the details of the tariff it says membership fee- £8 per fuel per month. I don’t understand what this is, what it’s paying for or why it’s included. 
The rest sounds great eg no fixed term, no leaving fees. 

If anyone is on this tariff has some feedback or could maybe simplify for me, I’d very much appreciate it!

icon

Best answer by Bev 9 October 2020, 20:02

Hi Marty

The Membership Fee is what some providers term a standing charge. Same thing. 

If you have both electricity and gas, you’ll pay a membership fee of £16. As you have both fuels, you’ll receive a Dual fuel discount of £30 pa, which amounts to £2.50 per month.

So you’ll pay a total monthly membership fee of £13.50 

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi Marty

The Membership Fee is what some providers term a standing charge. Same thing. 

If you have both electricity and gas, you’ll pay a membership fee of £16. As you have both fuels, you’ll receive a Dual fuel discount of £30 pa, which amounts to £2.50 per month.

So you’ll pay a total monthly membership fee of £13.50 

Userlevel 1

Hi Bev,

thanks for replying. 

So you’re saying we pay an extra £8 on top of our fuel consumption? £16 if both gas and electric

Sorry for not understanding but why do we pay this? I don’t understand why we would pay a membership fee at all. 
TIA

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Marty852 

Almost all supplies have a standing charge, it's just that Pure Planet call theirs a membership fee, £8 per fuel less dual fuel discount of £2.50 per month.

It pays for PP's running costs, infrastructure and a small profit. The unit charge for energy is a pass through rate, we pay what PP pays

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Marty852 

and just to point out that if it’s the fixed tariff the standing charge or mem. fee is £6.67 per fuel per month, less discount of £2.50 per month so £10.84.

The variable tariff is £13.50.

If you get a quote from *almost any other supplier (*I can’t be sure there isn’t one that doesn’t but I’ve never come across one) it will also have a standing charge on top of the energy cost.

Userlevel 1

Thankyou for the info, everyone! This has cleared things up 

Thanks for posting back @Marty852!