Solved

Gas meter incorrectly registered to wrong address

I am in the process of switching suppliers, and the new supplier has told me that the gas meter is incorrectly registered to a different address in the industry database. This mistake will have been made by Pure Planet as this was not a problem when I switched to Pure Planet.

As a result of this, the new supplier is unable to progress with registration.

How will I be able to get this changed on the industry database?

icon

Best answer by Angelabikerbabe 7 June 2021, 11:58

Hi
You're talking to fellow PP customers on this forum, and as such we don't have access to customers accounts. But we will help if we can.

You need to send your message to the team directly via Wattbot.

if you go to the app and click on the
☰ menu at the top, then click on help, then ask Wattbot, 

Then you need to type in 'message the team' .

It will then offer you a few options of faq,  if none apply - then click on the box that says 'message the team',

Then wait until you see the reply from Wattbot saying 'OK, I've passed our conversation to the team. Anything to add? Send it below and the team will see it.'

You can then type in your message (and any photos), then send it 

please note it’s not a live-chat and it’ll be 2 or 3 working days before they’re able to reply.

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi
You're talking to fellow PP customers on this forum, and as such we don't have access to customers accounts. But we will help if we can.

You need to send your message to the team directly via Wattbot.

if you go to the app and click on the
☰ menu at the top, then click on help, then ask Wattbot, 

Then you need to type in 'message the team' .

It will then offer you a few options of faq,  if none apply - then click on the box that says 'message the team',

Then wait until you see the reply from Wattbot saying 'OK, I've passed our conversation to the team. Anything to add? Send it below and the team will see it.'

You can then type in your message (and any photos), then send it 

please note it’s not a live-chat and it’ll be 2 or 3 working days before they’re able to reply.

Thanks for the guide Angela.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks for the guide Angela.

No problem 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Camaban 

Has your meter been changed?

No, the meter has been the same since I moved here 6 years ago.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

No, the meter has been the same since I moved here 6 years ago.

@Camaban thanks, thought it was worth checking…

but the mystery is that since PP use the same database as everyone else and they won’t have updated your meter (or at least not if they don’t have a report that it’s been changed) then I can’t see (this far) how you conclude that it’s something PP have done.

(unless they took wrong info from a meter change, very unlikely I would have thought...)

anyway do update when you find out what if anything has happened?

This has been going on for about 6 weeks now. PP clearly made an intentional error by entering the wrong address on the industry database, and are dragging their heels correcting this mistake to squeeze as much out as they can of your custom.

They’re ignoring my messages, I have provided them with all they have asked, and now they are just outright ignoring. I should have been switched over to new supplier already. These intentional errors are really, really poor, and this is disgraceful way to run a business.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I’m so sorry to hear you are having issues, there seems to be a lot atm. 😞 hope they are resolved for you soon. 

Hi @Camaban 

Just to let you know, I’ve merged your posts together as they’re about the same issue. That helps make sure the advice you’ve received is easy to find, and helps other Members see all the info posted to try and help. :slight_smile:

I’m really sorry about this - having flagged your post with our Member Services team, it seems their latest messages to you on 14 June may not have reached you. They’re going to email you today with all the info needed. They want to investigate fully to make sure your meters have been labelled correctly, before updating the national database. 

Any issue will have occurred when your meter was first installed - sometimes, it can take switching supplier for issues with the database to be unearthed. The team are working to get this sorted for you. :thumbsup:

No, you are incorrect. There was never any issue registering my meters with PP from previous supplier, and I have even sent a scan of my previous suppliers bill with correct meter numbers on correct address. This has only become a problem during my time with you.

Upon sending of the evidence from previous supplier a month ago, you have not responded or done anything about it. This is pathetic.

No, you are incorrect. There was never any issue registering my meters with PP from previous supplier, and I have even sent a scan of my previous suppliers bill with correct meter numbers on correct address. This has only become a problem during my time with you.

Hi @Camaban 

I think you are confusing two things here:

1: The National Database - this is where PP would have got your meter details.

2: The Supplier’s Database - this is where the installing supplier would have kept your meter details.

The fact that the installing supplier, or any interim supplier, had the ‘correct’ details, is not the same thing as ‘the national database’ having the correct details - although you would hope that every supplier would have got their details from that database.

Pure Planet should, at least unless there was something wrong with your existing entry, have no reason to touch the details on the National Database. 
I’d presume, but can’t prove it, that just like Central Register, PAF, and a number of other ‘National Databases’ the Energy Industry’s ‘National Database’ is manually firewalled, and that the ‘original’ entries in the database are considered to be 100% correct, (something which is a complete pain with the posh folks who want PAF to stick ‘em in Surrey rather than ‘ampshire) without a process being followed to say otherwise.

Pure Planet, or any other supplier, can query things, they can send information, but they can’t actually ‘enter’ or ‘change’ anything at the ‘National Database’ only at their own local level. Someone at ‘National Database’ has to manually check and enter the information on their systems to defend system integrity. 

So, even if your entry was ‘correct’ when you joined Pure Planet, that does not mean ‘Pure Planet are responsible for changing it’ - it’s far more likely if anyone changed it, that person was someone at the database itself.

You also have to consider the possibility that, if the gas meter is registered to the wrong address, it’s actually the supplier/customer at the other address who has caused this  - perhaps someone else has misread, or mis-entered their meter number, and the system has now thrown a wobbly over the fact that ‘the meter’s been moved’ - after all it’s far easier to take a meter out and move it to another address, than it is to move the house to where the meter is.

I’m also sorry to tell you that your claim that:
‘PP clearly made an intentional error by entering the wrong address on the industry database, and are dragging their heels correcting this mistake to squeeze as much out as they can of your custom.’

Seriously overestimates the value of your custom to Pure Planet, the costs involved in correcting the error, and the charges levied by OFGEM for the error, would far outweigh any likely profit they’d make from you in the space of 6 weeks - in fact it would probably outweigh any profit they’d make over several years.

Kindest Regards
Gwyndy

Hey @Camaban 

Happy to hear from Mel in our Member Services team that she’s been able to discuss and explain the situation with you now. :thumbsup: 
It sounds like they want to check everything out to make doubly sure that your meters have been registered correctly on the national database, to avoid any future issues for your property when switching. Hope it gets sorted swiftly for you. :slight_smile:  

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Gwyndy 

Your reply was interesting. I’ve never understood why or how some companies are able to get accurate local details for a switch when the National database is wrong, and seemingly how some get it right despite the National database being wrong. ( meter replacement issues aside). It makes no sense to me still. I think we are missing a piece of the puzzle as to how meter details are actually checked in practice, not just with PP but in general.(It’s almost as though there were two databases in which case you would think both should be checked and any anomaly presented to the customer as a query.) I do wish someone could fill in the missing bits of this in my brain...I’ve seen it before where a customer says “the last x times I switched there was no problem and now you’ve got it wrong” - I have no doubt whatsoever that this must also happen with other energy co’s.

I must admit I was quite shocked at the level of errr..’cynicism’  for want of a better word contained in that sentence, (PP clearly made an intentional error...) but there were two reasons I didn’t reply:

1.  It was so ridiculous an accusation that ANY energy company would deliberately enter wrong information that I felt any correction was pointless (There seemed very little point in arguing with someone who could think that was a reasonable point of view, but hey why let facts and evidence get in the way of a good accusation), and

2. From past hard experience if I defended PP and said it wasn’t deliberate, I might be accused of being a shill for them, and it could provoke errr...some breaking of the community rules (as has happened on the odd occasion). I thought best avoided.

and to finish with - Of course anyone can make an error, but it’s how it’s put right that really matters, hurling accusations of deliberate malfeasance isn’t how I would tackle it but everyone to their own I suppose. 

Still sometimes it has to be said and you said it very tactfully if I may say so. 

Have a housepoint.

@Gwyndy

Your reply was interesting. I’ve never understood why or how some companies are able to get accurate local details for a switch when the National database is wrong, and seemingly how some get it right despite the National database being wrong. ( meter replacement issues aside). It makes no sense to me still. I think we are missing a piece of the puzzle as to how meter details are actually checked in practice, not just with PP but in general.(It’s almost as though there were two databases in which case you would think both should be checked and any anomaly presented to the customer as a query.) I do wish someone could fill in the missing bits of this in my brain...I’ve seen it before where a customer says “the last x times I switched there was no problem and now you’ve got it wrong” - I have no doubt whatsoever that this must also happen with other energy co’s.

I don’t understand it either to be honest @woz - what I do know from a combination of my time in the NHS, and the fact that one of my friends is responsible for a series of ‘government databases’ - is that, as a ‘general rule’ - government departments (of any shape and form, and we were an agency, not a department) take their basic data seriously, even if they can be a bit rubbish at ‘keeping it to themselves’ at times, they don’t like the recorded information being changed.
I can’t imagine OFGEM, or whomever runs the database of meter serial numbers is any more willing to allow ‘outsiders’ to mess with it - anyone who has access is only likely to be able to change a limited number of things without passing it up the chain of command - in our case it was limited to ‘marital status, surname, and registered address’ - anything beyond that required lots and lots of paperwork, sometimes with the same basic thing being asked 3 or 4 times to make sure it wasn’t someone being stupid - and trust me, when it comes to NHS records, some members of the public are very, very, stupid.