Expensive energy

• 16 October 2020
  • 16 replies

I have just joined Pure Planet 13.10.20 and my energy costs, according to my smart meter, are double my previous supplier OVO. I was led to believe, through U switch. that my energy would be cheaper through Pure Planet! What’s going on? Is my smart meter wrong? Have I made a bad mistake and been conned? I certainly home not! Very difficult to speak to anyone at Pure Planet!

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Believe it or not, Pure Planet will charge you exactly what they told you they would charge you for each unit of gas and electricity when you switched. 

And, without wishing to sound harsh, just as they indicate they don't have a call centre!

(Just to contribute to the gushings)

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

hi @TonyH 

The theory is as follows:

You only pay for the energy you use and at the rates specified in your quote, if you use more you’ll pay more, if the rates were cheaper than OVO you’ll pay less for using the same amount of energy you used when you were with OVO.

Ignore the IHD. (as per other replies)

However

it is possible but quite unlikely that your meter itself (the one on the wall attached to the wires or pipes) has developed a fault so if you need to set your mind at rest (and it sounds like you do) gather some evidence, take readings from that meter over a few days (morning and bedtime) and report back if you suspect something looks out of kilter. (Do  you know what your usual daily consumption is? You can get a good idea from looking at your ovo statements. This method won’t work well for gas as the consumption is too variable because of the weather but it will work well for your electric as long as you don’t heat with electricity.)

There you go @TonyH, consider yourself gushed! Is that a word??

Pick yourself up off the floor and tell us what you think. 🤔

Hi @TonyH,

Welcome to this collection of community folk.

My first reaction is that your Smart Meter is misleading you. Unfortunately, if it’s an original SMART 1 meter, it’ll never show actual money costs again. Just usage.

I’d say wait on your statement to confirm that all is (hopefully) well. You can always talk to us folk here. Just wait and see the gushings that will appear below… 😉

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

My smart meter recognises Pure Planet as my new provider and the amount of fuel I am using has not changed, its between 80 and 100KWh, the meter also keeps the last 7 days readings which were with OVO so I can compare like for like and my costs have doubled with Pure Planet!  I’ll leave it until Monday and see if there’s a change [a fault in the meter?] and if necessary join another provider and learn a lesson. I am also having problems logging on to the PP web site, having to be sent a logging on email everytime which does not help with my confidence in PP capability. Every day is a school day!

Hi @TonyH 

1. I will state with confidence that your costs have not doubled with PP.

2. Switching again won't solve your problem.

3. If you don't log off you don't have to log on again.

Stephen

Hi @TonyH 

I’m fairly certain that Pure Planet getting access to your Smart Meter (assuming its SMETS 2) takes more than three days, (it’s been mentioned here somewhere before, but I can’t find it) so although I don’t know what exactly your Smart Meter is telling you, I think it’s a fairly safe bet that it’s not an accurate representation of  Pure Planet’s costings.

Are you able to enlighten us (without sharing personal details) what exactly the Smart Meter and/or In Home Display is showing you?

Bear in mind, the meter doesn’t ‘stop working’ during the transfer, and will be ‘stuck’ on whatever your previous supplier sets up, until Pure Planet takes it over.

My SMETS 1 meter is still operating on the basis that I’m with my, now defunct, supplier, and is using two year old rates for its cost estimates.

Kindest Regards

Gwyndy

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

hi @TonyH 

At the risk of being thought of as a right royal ****as  has been said, several times so far by others as well as I, ignore the ihd.

Start taking some meter readings. You simply cant rely on the IHD and if your meter has gone wonky you won’t know until you read it. The one thing PP can’t do (unless you believe in conspiracy theory),  is intentionally make your meter register more energy than is passing through it. It  can however (again not intentionally) screw up the telemetry /reporting chain and tell you you’re cheese consumption has increased, you’re about to go bankrupt, and you should make yourself a cup of tea.(Don’t blame me I didn’t write the software in fact from what I’ve seen so far I doubt anyone will own up to the great cock up that is gen 1 / 2 smart meters and ihd’s)

That’s not to say you don’t have a strange meter fault, never say never, but you aren’t going to find anything useful interrogating the ihd (or at least not until you’ve discounted the meter.)

Keep us informed, this is interesting.(to the resident nerds).

gush is now depleted...

Hi @TonyH,

Top tips so far. Yes, the PP website login system is novel. You also have to use a normal browser window with cookies, not an incognito or private one.

As you say your consumption hasn’t changed, there’s no way your cost will actually have doubled.

Good luck figuring it all out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

My smart meter recognises Pure Planet as my new provider and the amount of fuel I am using has not changed, its between 80 and 100KWh, the meter also keeps the last 7 days readings which were with OVO so I can compare like for like and my costs have doubled with Pure Planet!  I’ll leave it until Monday and see if there’s a change [a fault in the meter?] and if necessary join another provider and learn a lesson. I am also having problems logging on to the PP web site, having to be sent a logging on email everytime which does not help with my confidence in PP capability. Every day is a school day!

Hi @TonyH 

Stephen

Not so sure that is entirely correct I have had occasions when I have had to log in again when I have not logged off nor invoked a VPN, nor cleared cookies. Just as I still get the privacy notice from time to time (which remains in breach!).

Hi @TonyH 

You say ‘your costs have doubled with Pure Planet’ - to me this makes no sense, as my friend is with OVO owned Swalec, and switching to Pure Planet would save her £425 a year.

Even if I knew what your meter was, I couldn’t comment on what it says, as I only know roughly how mine works, so may I ask again, if you are willing to share it:

‘what exactly is the meter telling you your ‘costs’ are compared to what it told you they were with ‘OVO.’

Is it giving you a breakdown of how those costs are calculated, so that you know you are comparing like with like?

Do both OVO and Pure Planet include the ‘Standing Charge/Members Fee’ in your costs on the meter? 

If so, are Pure Planet ‘front-loading’ the members fee into your costs as you pay on the day you join?

Did OVO include their members fee at start of month, daily, at the end of the month?

Are both prices either inclusive, or exclusive of VAT?

There are a number of variables here, and even if I could see your meter, I wouldn’t be able to definitely tell you what’s going on, what really matters, is ultimately not what the meter says, but what the per unit rates are on you statement at the end of each month.

Probably the easiest way to allay your concerns is to just go onto a Price Comparison Site, and see what they say OVO/Pure Planet are charging at the moment, ultimately Pure Planet can’t agree a contract with you, then change the rates on that contract without providing prior notice.

I have already paid £98 up front for my first months dual fuel. The smart meter is saying I am spending over £4 per day so, if the smart meter is correct, I will be in debt by the end of my first 4 week period and the winter is yet to come. Maybe the idea is that by next October I will be in credit as I will use less fuel in the summer?  

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @TonyH 

Stephen

Not so sure that is entirely correct I have had occasions when I have had to log in again when I have not logged off nor invoked a VPN, nor cleared cookies. Just as I still get the privacy notice from time to time (which remains in breach!).

Fair enough - presumably this is using the website? I've only ever used the app, and never had to login...

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I have already paid £98 up front for my first months dual fuel. The smart meter is saying I am spending over £4 per day so, if the smart meter is correct, I will be in debt by the end of my first 4 week period and the winter is yet to come. Maybe the idea is that by next October I will be in credit as I will use less fuel in the summer?  

Most people go into debt in the winter months and get back into credit in the summer months, just by the nature of heating usage.

But if you start in October you wouldn't expect to be in debt after that one month. But if I've understood this thread correctly, most of us are not convinced your IHD is a reliable guide to your expenditure at the moment. Your monthly statement certainly will be! When is that due? You've already told us - 13 November.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I would ignore the portable smart meter display. Mine often tells me power is being used to some extent when it isn’t. However, the readings that go in each month are consistent with my usage and comparable with last year.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@TonyH 

If you don’t mind me asking, can you go back to your quote and see what annual consumption the figures are based on?

I don’t know what sort of property you have but my gut tells me that a winter payment of £98 (and £65.34 next April) isn’t very high. Of course you may live in a well insulated  mid-storey 2 bed flat in which case it would be entirely reasonable.

My thoughts are I wonder if you’ve underestimated your annual consumption for the original quote because although it’s true that you will use more than 60% of your energy costs in the colder months, (probably nearer 70%)  from what you’ve said and it isn’t that cold yet, if you’re using £120 a month now (if the ihd is to be believed which I don’t) then you’re off track for annual consumption.

Did you enter the estimated figures from your OVO bill and had it run for a year (thus making the annual more reliable)?

enough meandering….