Solved

cancelled switch but first payment taken

• 18 October 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

I have been charged £66.30 but cancelled my switch to Pure Planet weeks ago. Have tweeted and emailed but no replies or refund. How do I claim this money back??? So frustrated having never actually been provided with energy and yet they have my money!! My direct debit is still active so should be easy.

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Gwyndy 19 October 2020, 01:06

Hi @CHillier 

Welcome to the community.

This can happen and it rather depends when exactly you cancelled, it takes at least 3 full working days to set up a direct debit, and at least 3 full working days to process any future payments (the recommended lead notification time is actually 10 working days.)

Therefore, although you say, you ‘cancelled your switch weeks ago,’ at least so far as I understand it, if your switching date was less than 10 working days ago, it may well still be the case that your refund is still processing.

Please, also bear in mind that Pure Planet were using processing company ‘Go Cardless’ therefore refunds could appear under a name other than Pure Planet, we’ve heard of ‘GC’ and ‘GC’ followed by ‘01’ or similar being used.

I hope you either find your refund has already been received, or that it arrives shortly.

Kindest Regards

Gwyndy

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

hi @CHillier This simply should not happen, the taking of the payment sometimes can’t be avoided due to the time constraints of PP cancelling the DD at their end so that is understandable but not repaying it after weeks is unacceptable.

You have 2 options:

The easy option, ask your bank to refund it under the DD guarantee.​​​​​​ This could lead to some confusion if there is a crossover and you get a refund at the same time (This in theory should not happen as presumably having asked for a refund you would cancel the DD thus PP won’t be able to refund.
Before you do that make absolutely sure 1. you haven’t missed the payment into your account AND 2. that your cancellation option was invoked and you haven’t actually switched (logging into your account should clear that one up.)

The lengthier option which involves sending a message through the app (help and support >ask a question> work your way through bot replies until it says your message has been sent to the team) and wait 2-3 days for a reply. If you don’t have the app that option doesn’t exist.

I know which I’d choose after waiting several weeks if it is several weeks (I’d give it a reasonable 10 working days myself) , but others may have different opinions.

If, before you take any action  either @Marc or @Nataly see this perhaps they can look into it for you and give you an update tomorrow?

Hi @CHillier 

Welcome to the community.

This can happen and it rather depends when exactly you cancelled, it takes at least 3 full working days to set up a direct debit, and at least 3 full working days to process any future payments (the recommended lead notification time is actually 10 working days.)

Therefore, although you say, you ‘cancelled your switch weeks ago,’ at least so far as I understand it, if your switching date was less than 10 working days ago, it may well still be the case that your refund is still processing.

Please, also bear in mind that Pure Planet were using processing company ‘Go Cardless’ therefore refunds could appear under a name other than Pure Planet, we’ve heard of ‘GC’ and ‘GC’ followed by ‘01’ or similar being used.

I hope you either find your refund has already been received, or that it arrives shortly.

Kindest Regards

Gwyndy

Userlevel 1

Thank you both for the great advice. I received a direct message vis Twitter this morning to say my refund is being processed and will be with me in 5 working days. Will be watching and waiting 👀 Have a great day all.

Nice one for updating us here in the Community @CHillier :thumbsup:

Thanks @woz @Gwyndy for being so swift to help out another Member! :smiley: