Solved

Can I join Pure Planet without having data on my phone?

• 11 December 2020
  • 35 replies

Userlevel 1

I am trying to switch to Pure Planet. I have confirmed my email address. They now want me to confirm my phone number by clicking on a link, but I don't use data on my phone, only phone calls and texts. How can I confirm my phone number?

icon

Best answer by Nataly 14 December 2020, 12:12

View original

35 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi.

can you Confirm it via email on your laptop/computer? 

Userlevel 1

Thanks, Angela. To what address? And what reference can I give so they know who I am?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi

are you not able to click on the link you mentioned Earlier? 

I presume you have received an email from PP with the link on?

Before you do so, can you check this email is actually from PP, they don't normally want to confirm your phone number, the accounts are all managed via the app, so they normally just send you a link to confirm the switch /email.

(I don't work for PP)

Userlevel 1

The link was on a text to my phone. I can't click on it, not having data.

I don't want the app and was using the browser. I clicked on the link in the email they sent or in the browser (sorry, I forget which).

Thanks for your help so far, Angela.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

So, you confirmed your switch via the email PP sent you.

Have you received your welcome pack yet? Confirming your switch date?

Are you able to log on via the website? 

Userlevel 1

No welcome pack yet, Angela. I wouldn't expect it until the phone no. has been confirmed.

How would I log in? But one thing at a time: I need to confirm the phone number. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi

I don't know if PP need to confirm your phone number, maybe other community members can advise, as the link i shared with you doesn't mention about confirming your phone number, only your email confirmation  .

To log onto PP website via a laptop/computer>go to purepla.net/login > enter your email address > it will then send you an email with a link for you to click on, do this also on your laptop (to ensure your account is secure).

You will then be taken to your account.( as long as you have confirmed your switch, as explained on the link I sent you)

Userlevel 1

Thanks, Angela. I'll read this again in the morning. I may not manage any more answers tonight.

It doesn't sound like enough, as some t. & c.s that I read before starting the switch said that both email and phone had to be confirmed. So I don't want to go through all the steps you list here when it might be for nothing. 

They could give me a code by phone, which I could give tgem back by email, but there is no way of contacting a human being to ask for that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I haven’t experienced this - in fact I don’t think it’s been mentioned previously nor is it mentioned in any of the faq’s, but may I ask is the link readable and how long is it? 

As far as I know you don’t need to confirm your phone number via a phone to join.

(If it’s genuine and not too long you could copy the link into a browser)

I didn’t think it was necessary to verify your number UNLESS, it’s part of the new system for making sure those on the PSR can be contacted. (which in itself would be an odd way forward as the more elderly are less likely to have a smartphone)

Userlevel 1

Thank you very much, Woz, for your help. The t.&c.s that I read before trying to switch said you did have to confirm your phone number. 

The link sent me by phone ends in about 30 nonsense characters. With determination I could copy it, though I resent being expected b y Ure Planet to do so. I may get down to that much later today, but have some more urgent tasks first.

Thanks again, Woz and Angela, I'll get back to it later.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @Alive5 @woz @Angelabikerbabe 

I'm really confused by this, it will be interesting to see what the staff say on Monday.

I've never heard of a request for phone verification either. I don't recall ever giving Pure Planet my telephone number. If the text came from PP, you would have to have given them your number as part of your application process. Did the text arrive immediately after the email verification arrived?

I'm just concerned that this may be a spam. I would personally not make any attempt to access this link.

If you verified your email address I would expect a pretty much instant response email with your welcome pack, and I can't see how or why this would depend on a verification of your phone. Is there an email in your spam folder?

Stephen

PS I've just scan read the terms and conditions on the website and didn't spot any reference to phone verification. If it's not a lot of trouble, it would be helpful and interesting to know what was said where...

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thank you very much, Woz, for your help. The t.&c.s that I read before trying to switch said you did have to confirm your phone number. 

The link sent me by phone ends in about 30 nonsense characters. With determination I could copy it, though I resent being expected b y Ure Planet to do so. I may get down to that much later today, but have some more urgent tasks first.

Thanks again, Woz and Angela, I'll get back to it later.

@Alive5

I don’t think PP expect you to copy it!

It was a workaround suggestion, but if it’s going to be an issue moving forward for others in the same situation,  I would strongly suggest that PP use a link shortener to send a human easily type-able link (such bit.ly.xxxxx), at least that would get around the data issues. I recognise that suggestion is a fix for something that on the face of it appears to be an ill thought-out procedure, but we shall see…

(and some don’t have a mobile phone...are they excluded as customers?) 

@Marc consider this a proposal for the feedback section if appropriate

I have never given PP my phone number, so I think it’s not essential.

Just a thought, if you believe the link is legit, connect to wifi then click on it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Just a thought, if you believe the link is legit, connect to wifi then click on it.

@25 quid You’re assuming it’s a smart phone...

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Just a thought, we must have given, or PP have access to our mobile phone number, as when we get a reply from Wattbot, we receive an SMS to our mobile

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Just a thought, we must have given, or PP have access to our mobile phone number, as when we get a reply from Wattbot, we receive an SMS to our mobile

@Duppy 

indeed we did, it was an implicit part of the sign-up procedure, although I don’t remember being asked separately to provide permission else no sign up. There was a discussion a long time ago about those who never had a mobile being able to use a landline number, but I don’t remember exclusion if a number wasn’t supplied. That said it was a very long time ago, perhaps the procedures have changed, and since it’s fairly rare not to have a mobile perhaps things have moved on (if so and it’s led to this would be lousy implementation, in fact so badly thought out I don’t believe it could be the case) - there are mobiles and there are mobiles connected to a network...

Hey @Alive5 

We wouldn’t ask you to verify your phone number to complete your switch - you’d just need to verify your email address. It’s worth noting we’d ask you to do that by email, not by text. 

The email would look a bit like this…

verify your email

I hope that helps - I’ve also just replied to your DM about this :slight_smile:  

You can absolutely manage your account online at purepla.net if you don’t have data on your mobile.

Thanks everyone for jumping in to help a new Member :thumbsup:

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I am trying to switch to Pure Planet. I have confirmed my email address. They now want me to confirm my phone number by clicking on a link, but I don't use data on my phone, only phone calls and texts. How can I confirm my phone number?

@Alive5 

What does the text say verbatim and what number is it from?

Sounding more like a scam…

Yes, @woz, good call on my assumption!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Sounding more like a scam…

Yes, @woz, good call on my assumption!

Thanks, I’d agree (about the scam) but the OP seems to imply that it mentions PP which is a bit of a concern. I’d like to see a photo of the text...

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi there @25 quid 

I'm not sure this is wise advice? I'm trying to think a) if I've ever been asked to verify my phone number and b) if I would ever click on a link in an unexpected text message.

If this is a scam, as I suspect, then it's a little worrying - how did the scammers know our friend was in touch with Pure Planet and know her phone number?

Stephen

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi there @25 quid 

I'm not sure this is wise advice? I'm trying to think a) if I've ever been asked to verify my phone number and b) if I would ever click on a link in an unexpected text message.

If this is a scam, as I suspect, then it's a little worrying - how did the scammers know our friend was in touch with Pure Planet and know her phone number?

Stephen

@stephenrand my point exactly as per my reply above, if it turns out to be a scam either data from PP or the vector that led them to PP are suspect. I think we’ve been here before but I’d never find the thread.

Yes @stephenrand and @woz. Let’s see if @Alive5 gives us more clues...

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Yes @stephenrand and @woz. Let’s see if @Alive5 gives us more clues...

I love a good whodunnit (or whodidn’tdunnit)

Userlevel 1

Sorry for long absence, doing other stuff. Thanks for willingness to help.Text said: Hi, finish your energy switch to Pure Planet now. [Then there is a square, indicating a graphic or something not visible to me] Tap the link for cleaner, greener energy.

Then comes the link,  which begins https://purepla.net/complete_

Then, on the line below, it says login?token=

and then about 30 letters and numbers beginning srtyz3pzq

Then it says Thanks for being part of Pure Planet. Finally, two more of those squares indicating graphics or emojis that I cannot see, having no data. I have a simple 'brick' phone.

I tried, on my brick phone, to see who had sent it. It gave 'options' then 'details' 'number'. It said 'no number'. Under 'web address' it gave tge beginning if the one that started the text. I could only see one line of it and would have had to click on it to see more.