New guides which explains community basics

Idea Status: Implemented

It took a question from a new user to make me realise that either premature senility has set in (there's a Spanish joke in there somewhere but that's for another time) or I actually know s*d all (I hope it's that) Anyway, to the point, a guide on how to use the community is called for, it should include: How to post How to reply (with/without quoting etc) Where to post (i.e. to encourage not posting in "wrong" place) How to find your posts How to find your replies Community etiquette Settings, and which ones you might want to change Profile ​I'm bound to have missed something obvious, anyone?
And include how to use the search bar, so that the same questions aren't asked time and time again!
Hi @woz @Scubaseahorse
Thanks for this. I like this one. It's easy I suppose to assume that everyone knows how to use a community.
Is there a definitive list of guides you guys think we ought to have?
Something like the following?

How to create a community account
How to post a new thread
How to reply to another post
How to quote another member
How to use search
How to report a post
How to follow a thread
How to find your posts

We do already have a section called Community how-to guides which has info on how to add photos, how to create polls, the guidelines etc.
Do you see these added here?
Hi @Marc,
Yes I think that's an ideal place, but also a line or two below the actual search bar to help and encourage more people to use it.
Scubaseahorse;33184:
Hi @Marc, Yes I think that's an ideal place, but also a line or two below the actual search bar to help and encourage more people to use it.

Not exactly sure what you mean @Scubaseahorse 😕
We've got the words 'what are you looking for' in the search bar.
@Marc. Perhaps something more encouraging in that box or below it to get people to search for an answer rather than keep asking the same questions.
I agree, but...even when the search is working well it's awfully difficult to find stuff, and I know because knowing there was a post I've frequently tried to find what I need, but mainly failed. From a less seasoned customer's perspective if the first few hits on a search don't bring up what you want, it's a lot easier to just post the question. I've used google before now to better avail to find info in PP before now. I know this is not what PP or others want to hear, but that's the way I see it. That is precisely why some communities have a google search embedded too.
​On the other hand for the most basic questions it should bring up the faq's - no excuse if that fails.
Scubaseahorse;33329:
@Marc. Perhaps something more encouraging in that box or below it to get people to search for an answer rather than keep asking the same questions.

Or, as a lot of peeps immediately hit the post a thread without even trying the search, maybe as they start typing their question, it jumps in asking them “Have you tried our FAQ.” , for eg.
great idea Bev (seriously), but...
1. The AI isn't up to that yet (or it appears not to be)
2. Wattbot will explode, splattering his insides all over the office
Bev;33334:
Or, as a lot of peeps immediately hit the post a thread without even trying the search, maybe as they start typing their question, it jumps in asking them “Have you tried our FAQ.” , for eg.

Bev;33334:

Hi @Bev @woz @Scubaseahorse
Some progress! :D
Our tech team are currently looking at the specs for building a way of suggesting threads and FAQs based on the title of new threads, as they're being composed.
We'll be using our search tool, and then displaying the suggested posts/FAQs between the search bar and the compose box. Which might be a bit of a squeeze on mobile, but we'll limit the number of suggestions, probably to 4 or so.
The suggestions will be titles of other threads and FAQs, and will link to them should the person tap/click on them.
Scubaseahorse;33329:

Hi @Scubaseahorse
What if we changed the default words in the search box from 'What are you looking for?' to one of the following:

Start your search here
Search the Pure Planet Community
Search the community

What do you think?
Marc;34726:
Hi @Scubaseahorse
What if we changed the default words in the search box from 'What are you looking for?' to one of the following:

Start your search here
Search the Pure Planet Community
Search the community

What do you think?

I think you should keep it simple
Start your search here, covers all bases. Some newbies don't necessarily understand what the community is about, keeping it simple removes the confusion
Hi @Marc,
Start your search here seems to be a good one.
Also the suggested threads sounds really good.
As you said not everyone understands the benefits of a community like ours.
I'm sorry to go on about it but I find the same things are being asked day in and day out and admire our stalwart members for answering the questions with such patience 😊😤😊
Keep up the good work guys 👍👍👍
Duppy;34731:
I think you should keep it simple
Start your search here, covers all bases. Some newbies don't necessarily understand what the community is about, keeping it simple removes the confusion

Good shout @Duppy
Keeping it simple works for me! 😉
The search text has been done @Scubaseahorse @Duppy 🆙

Now we've got some guides to write.

Any thoughts on these. Anything missing?

How to create a community account
How to post a new thread
How to reply to another post
How to quote another member
How to use search
How to report a post
How to follow a thread
How to find your posts
Seems like you have it all covered @Marc 😊
How to find unread threads each time visit, ie Pinkys?
I've been busy! Going to post some draft guides here. (It would be great if the community had a way of collaboratively editing articles. This'll be OK for now)

How to create a Pure Planet Community account

To create a Pure Planet Community account you can sign up via your PP energy account. Open your app or account in a web browser, make sure you’re logged in, and tap or click on the community moon.

If it’s your first time in the community you’ll be asked to choose a username. This is the name which will be next to all your community posts. It can be any name you want!

Once you’ve done that, you’ll be able to start posting and talking to other community members.

If you’re not yet on supply with Pure Planet, you can still create a community account. This could be handy if you’ve got a question about PP which other members might be able to help with, or if you wanted to take part in some of the existing conversations.

Instead of going via your account or web, just head straight to https://community.purepla.net/ and click on ‘register’ - this will be in the top right of your screen if you’re on a desktop or laptop computer, and in the main menu if you’re using a mobile phone.

After you choose ‘register’ you’ll need to complete an account sign-up page, which includes your email address. We’ll send a verification email to your email address to complete your new community account set-up. Once that’s done, you’ll be asked to choose your community username.
How to post a new thread in the Pure Planet Community

If you want to start a new conversation (aka thread) in the Pure Planet Community, the first and most important thing is to make sure you’ve registered an account and that you’re logged in.

After that, you’ve got a couple of options.

If you’re on the community homepage you just need to tap or click on the pink ‘Start a conversation’ button - this will create a new thread for you. You give your thread a subject title, choose the right section for your thread, and then fill in the ‘text body’ box with details of what you want to chat to other members about.
You can also add photos or include links.
When you’re done, select the pink ‘Post’ button. You’ll then see your published post. Nice one!

The other route to starting a new thread is first to navigate to the section of the community you want to post in. You can see links to all our sections on the homepage. Once you’re in the right place, choose the pink ‘Start a conversation’ at the top. Then follow the same steps as above. Your new thread will automatically be posted in the section you’re in.

How to reply to another post in the Pure Planet Community

If you want to reply to another Member’s post in the Pure Planet Community, the first and most important thing is to make sure you’ve registered an account and that you’re logged in.

Next to their post, you’ll see a pink ‘Reply’ button.

This will open a new text box at the bottom of the thread. When you’ve finished typing, choose the pink ‘Post’ button.

How to quote another member in the Pure Planet Community

If you want to reply to and quote another Member’s post in the Pure Planet Community, the first and most important thing is to make sure you’ve registered an account and that you’re logged in.

Next to their post, you’ll see a grey ‘Quote’ button. Click or tap on that button, and it’ll open a new text box at the bottom of the thread. You will also see the other Member’s post above yours. When you’ve finished typing your reply, choose the pink ‘Post’ button.

Your reply will appear in a new post, with the other Member’s post quoted above it.

How to edit your Pure Planet Community post

If you’ve just posted in the Pure Planet Community and you’ve made a small error which you’d like to correct, don’t panic!

Below your post you’ll see a great ‘Edit post’ button which if you select will open a new text box where you can edit your post.

The ‘Edit post’ button appears for 3 minutes after your post is published, so if you need to make a change, don’t hang about!

The reason there’s a time limit on editing posts, and no option to delete them, is to keep us all honest

How to search the Pure Planet Community

To search the Pure Planet Community use the search bar which sits at the top of every page.

Type your search terms and then click or tap on the pink ‘Go!’ button.

You’ll be taken to a list of results, ordered by relevance and date.

There’s also an advanced search page if you want to search a specific section. Using advanced search means you can define a date range, choose whether to search our FAQs section or community posts (or both).

How to follow a conversation in the Pure Planet Community

If there’s a conversation or thread in the Pure Planet Community you’re following there’s an easy way to be notified of new updates.

To follow a conversation in the Pure Planet Community, the first and most important thing is to make sure you’ve registered an account and that you’re logged in.
Then, when you’re in the thread you want to follow, go to ‘Thread tools’ at the very top of the page, and choose ‘Follow this thread’.

This will mean you’re notified whenever there’s a new post in the thread you’re following.

How to find your posts in the Pure Planet Community

The Pure Planet Community has thousands of members posting daily.

If you’ve posted in the Pure Planet Community and you’re looking for your old posts, the first and most important thing is to make sure that you’re logged in.

Then, just click/tap on your avatar photo and you’ll see a list of your latest posts.

Your avatar is in the top right-hand corner of the community if you’re using a desktop or laptop computer.

If you’re using a mobile phone, tap on the hamburger menu in the top right-hand corner and you’ll see a list of menu items. Your avatar is at the bottom of the list.

How to find new, unread threads in the Pure Planet Community

You can find the latest conversations as they’re posted in the Pure Planet Community by going to the latest posts page.

Here you’ll see all the posts, in date order, with the most recent at the top.

If you’re looking for new, unread replies to a thread, look out for a pink exclamation mark next to the thread title.