Improving meter readings for Android users

Idea Status: Implemented

I’m using the Android app on a Moto G5 with Oreo 8.1

When I open the meter reading screen the numeric box for capturing the reading has the flashing cursor at the far righthand side and the words Elec Standard and an electrical symbol on the left.

I don’t believe the text and symbol serve any useful purpose and should be removed, allowing the flashing cursor to be on the left, which is the usual convention.

Having entered the reading, the keyboard on my phone has a ‘Go’ button, which the app should recognise and proceed to the next step. The keyboard is now on top of the app 'Next' button, so the screen has to be scrolled up out of the way of the keyboard before you can proceed.

The answer would be to proceed to the next step when the ‘Go’ button on the android keyboard is pressed.
Hi @Lenny
Not sure about removing the electric symbol and the words. Doesn't the electric symbol and the words 'elec standard' make it clear that this is the electricity reading we're after? (I'm a dual fuel Member).
What will be gained by moving the flashing cursor from the right to the left?

I like the idea of the 'Go' button on Android phones working as a 'next' command when pressed. (On iPhones there is no 'Go' button. It shows a 'Done' button which when tapped on removes the keyboard).
I'm sure @Georgie will be interested too. Although I have a feeling there might be an issue in that different Android phones have different behaviour, depending on make, model, version of Android. So not all Android phones might have a 'Go' button on the keyboard, and also might not work as a 'Next' command.
Marc;22756:
Hi @Lenny
What will be gained by moving the flashing cursor from the right to the left?

Hello @Marc

The flashing cursor in a text box is on the left by convention and I believe that is where people will look. I'm not sure I've ever seen one default to the right hand side?
Marc;22756:
Hi @Lenny
Not sure about removing the electric symbol and the words. Doesn't the electric symbol and the words 'elec standard' make it clear that this is the electricity reading we're after? (I'm a dual fuel Member).

Hello @Marc,

Point taken about dual fuel.

Leave the elec text and symbol, but perhaps make the line into a box with the text and symbol above it? this would make it clearer as user entry fields are usually boxes?
Hi @Lenny
We're looking into the Android keyboard 'Go' button.

Also, I've had an interesting chat with our product peeps about where the cursor appears.
Turns out this is by design because with the cursor on the left our Members are more inclined to enter the wrong reading - what they tend to do is include numbers which come after the decimal point. And that causes an incorrect reading.
Having it on the right means the figure they're typing appears directly above the previous reading. Which leads to less margin for error.
See what I'm saying? It's quite interesting, isn't it?
Marc;23013:
Hi @Lenny
We're looking into the Android keyboard 'Go' button.

Also, I've had an interesting chat with our product peeps about where the cursor appears.
Turns out this is by design because with the cursor on the left our Members are more inclined to enter the wrong reading - what they tend to do is include numbers which come after the decimal point. And that causes an incorrect reading.
Having it on the right means the figure they're typing appears directly above the previous reading. Which leads to less margin for error.
See what I'm saying? It's quite interesting, isn't it?

Hello @Marc,

I take your point about typing above the last reading, but unfortunately the keyboard I'm using blocks out that part of the screen so the previous reading can't be seen.

Any chance you could move the meter reading field a little higher up on the screen?
The previous reading could sit quite happily between the 2 lots of text (between torch and tap)
Thanks for the screenshot @Lenny
I'll report this to our tech team to take a look 🆙
Thanks @Marc,

I also noticed that if you (incorrectly) type a decimal point during entry it appears in the field. I would suggest changing the code so that only the digits 0 to 9 are registered? This would reinforce the point that decimal entries are not valid.
Hey @Lenny
Quick update for you on the previous reading covered by keyboard bug.
It's now on the roadmap to be fixed in an upcoming meter reading redesign.
Thanks for flagging it 🆙
Hello @Marc,

Thanks for the update.

How about changing the code to ensure only the valid digits 0-9 are entered? Particularly not the decimal point, given that the reading should be a whole number?
Hi @Lenny
Yep, that's on the to-do list too! It won't stop everyone from add the numbers which come after the decimal point, but it'll help 😮
Hello @Marc,

Your right, though when combined with the high/low warning it should prevent people from ignoring the decimal point and entering a value that is x10 too high?
Some nice improvements are coming. Will make sending readings much clearer.
Check it out here 😀