Change something about the text in a post when it represents hyperlink

Idea Status: Implemented

When you use the web URL link icon so that text in a post is a hyperlink to the URL supplied, it currently looks no different from any other text, meaning people are not aware it is a hyperlink unless they accidentally mouse over it, which itself is something they are not going to do when browsing on a phone/tablet etc.

It is possible to apply manual formatting to make the text suggestible as a link, but that would require everyone first doing it, then doing it all the same so it is obvious.

So how about changing the text of such hyperlinks so they standout as soon as they are posted?

Could be underlined, or a font type/colour change.....
That's a good suggestion @Jenam93.

I always just post the link as text so people know immediately that it is a link.
Nice idea @Jenam93 :D
This would save people time having to fiddle with formatting, and make it clearer to others that there's a tapable/clickable link.
Our tech team will look into it.
My biggest bug bear of this forum software (that and the 1990's reply box and emoji's)

The community members are trying to help out and finding what is a link and what is text is way more difficult than it should be - even for me. Unless a poster explicitly says THIS IS A LINK PLEASE CLICK IT, it's so easy to miss

/first world problems
Hi @Jenam93
A quick update. This has been tested, looks good and is scheduled to go live later this month (end of May).

Hey @Jowl
Not an emojis fan then? ;)๐Ÿ˜‚
on the contray @Marc, I like Emoji's - just like to have ones from the the current decade 😃
Jowl;28906:
on the contray @Marc, I like Emoji's - just like to have ones from the the current decade :D

OUCH!! :eek:;) Thanks for that feedback @Jowl 😮
lol sorry - I didn't mean it to sound harsh. Not sure what platform you use here but the forum text, icons, text boxes etc all seem dated to me

But it's our content that counts, right ?1
Just use ya own emojis Jowl ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘โ—๏ธโœ…๐Ÿฆ„๐Ÿป๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿฅ‡๐Ÿคน*โ™‚๏ธ๐ŸŽค๐Ÿ›ดโ›ฝ๏ธ๐Ÿ—๏ธ๐Ÿ•น๏ธ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
Jowl;28926:
lol sorry - I didn't mean it to sound harsh. Not sure what platform you use here but the forum text, icons, text boxes etc all seem dated to me

But it's our content that counts, right ?1

Wasn't harsh at all @Jowl
Anyway, I agree with you! It is dated.
We're due for a text editor upgrade. It's likely to come in different phases in the coming months but it'll give us emoji plugins (careful @Bev ;))), autocomplete, @ mentions, new fonts, easier way of adding pics and embedding tweets and so on.
As soon as our tech team gives me some ETAs I'll be sharing that info with the community for feedback and testing too.
ah, all sounds good. It's a minor thing really but if we're building a community here then i guess appearance/ease of use does matter too
Which community platforms do you like @Jowl ?
I'm a big fan of Discourse. :o
Also quite like the look of Insided.
To be honest @Marc not sure I could name a platform now. Discourse does look good though.

I just want it to look pretty 🙂
Hi @Jenam93
Good news! This is now live. If you add a link in your post, once you've hit the 'post' button you'll see that your link is blue and underlined.
Here's a link to the BBC news website, for example.

Nice one for suggesting this :raisinghands:
Great stuff! 😃