Add last post of previous page to top of next page for multi-page threads

Related products: Pure Planet Community

When a thread has more than one page the topmost post on pages other than the first page  is the first post in the thread, not the last post that was posted. 

As a result the latest post looks like it’s in response to the first post, (it never is, or that’s my experience)

I think all pages should start with the last post on the previous page.

Opinions will vary.

Thoughts anyone?

Interesting one @woz 

What I see is a choice to show the first post. The idea is so that you can always see the orgininal question / discussion starter, no matter if you’re on page 2 or page whatever. So it helps people understand what the thread’s about. But only if you want to.

For example, here’s page 4 of the ‘What made me happy today’ thread, which has 37 pages at the moment. 

I also have the choice, and personally, I like to have that choice.

On a slightly unrelated note, may I just say how nice it is to be able to see your images as you create your post.

ahhh thank you ...it’s not the show first post it’s the hide first post which I missed, as it’s at the bottom of the first post, and very easily missed because focus is on the post you’re reading not the first post.

However... my suggestion of repeating the last post on the previous page at the top of the next page still stands.

my suggestion of repeating the last post on the previous page at the top of the next page still stands.

Shall we amend the title of this idea? 

‘Add last post of previous page to top of next page for multi-page threads’

?

good call!

Yes please. 

Normally when you reply, you can see what you wrote in the thread. However, when the reply appears alone on the next page (as it didn’t fit on the preceding page), it seems like the reply didn’t work.

You have to spot the pagination count and think, I know, I’ll click on the next page. Oh look, there is my reply, it did work!

So, if a reply takes a thread to a new page, show it after the page reloads.

Hello @25 quid adding your idea to this existing one! 

Would it not be better for the listing of replies to posts for the default setting to start with the newest? I am sure most probably go to that anyway.

Would it not be better for the listing of replies to posts for the default setting to start with the newest? I am sure most probably go to that anyway.

That's true, I always go to the " X new " link to take me there

Hello @25 quid adding your idea to this existing one! 

It seems like a different thing than the @woz idea and just about to how pagination is handled… 

I’m not sure how the last post in @woz’s idea could be in two places at once… 😉  

When a new page is started in a thread it would be useful to start the new page with the last post on the previous page, rather than having to click back  a page to see what the last post was on the previous page.

(Or am I being picky?)

...and if you can include the one before that too just to give more context… 😉 

But seriously, I proposed a different solution to a similar problem. Namely when a new reply takes a thread to a new page, show the new reply on its new page rather than leaving me on the previous page wondering where my reply went.

@25 quid haha, I knew you’d say that!

not too much context, though, why spoil a perfectly good reply with relevance.

Hello @woz 

I’ve merged your idea into this existing idea about the same thing. And I see that it’s idea you’d already suggested!! 

Normally when you reply, you can see what you wrote in the thread. However, when the reply appears alone on the next page (as it didn’t fit on the preceding page), it seems like the reply didn’t work.

You have to spot the pagination count and think, I know, I’ll click on the next page. Oh look, there is my reply, it did work!

Thanks for suggesting @25 quid  - I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve had to double check if my reply actually registered as the last thing you see after you press ‘send’ and the page refreshes is the original post you were replying to without your response! 

ahhh thank you ...it’s not the show first post it’s the hide first post which I missed, as it’s at the bottom of the first post, and very easily missed because focus is on the post you’re reading not the first post.

However... my suggestion of repeating the last post on the previous page at the top of the next page still stands.

There’s a Hide first post button??? I’ve never noticed it - and even now that I’ve tried to look for it I can’t find it :thinking:

It probably only appears on multi-page threads @myauntie 😊 

@Marc I’m sad my idea has been relegated to a contribution to what to me seems like a different idea. I (and @myauntie) would just like to see the new post if it starts a new page.

We can leave @woz’s context of context idea to evolve here. 😉  

It probably only appears on multi-page threads @myauntie 😊 

I don’t seem to be able to view that button @25 quid  - not sure if it’s browser related? I’ve looked at conversations with multiple pages but the option doesn’t appear for me.

e.g. there are 6x pages in the Photo Challenge below but I am unable to view the Hide first post button:

It only appears on pages after the first page… 😇

Hello @woz 

I’ve merged your idea into this existing idea about the same thing. And I see that it’s idea you’d already suggested!! 

@Marc 

ha!

This is what happens when your memory goes and you can’t remember what was bugging you in the first place…

Now what did I go upstairs for?...