Ability to compare historical usage data

Related products: Pure Planet app & website Meter readings & usage

Under the usage part of the app allow the ability to flick back over the last 13 or 14 months. So that a direct comparison can be made with june this V june last year. Currently as soon as one statement arrives then the info for that statement last year vanishes. I know i could look back and work it out but im lazy like that and to be able to flick across and see if ive used more or less than the exact same period as last year would be nice.

..or a slideable bar chart to allow scrolling back through your history..
Jon1;31390:
Under the usage part of the app allow the ability to flick back over the last 13 or 14 months. So that a direct comparison can be made with june this V june last year. Currently as soon as one statement arrives then the info for that statement last year vanishes. I know i could look back and work it out but im lazy like that and to be able to flick across and see if ive used more or less than the exact same period as last year would be nice.

Thanks for posting this one @Jon1
Top idea and we def need to do this IMHO
Our tech team are looking into it
On the roadmap now @Jon1
Exciting stuff.
Of course we'll share some designs and more ideas soon!

Not long now! I’ve seen some designs and I’ll be able to share them very soon :relaxed:

How exciting! This might put those toting spreadsheets out of work...

Potentially linked or related :https://community.purepla.net/ideas-board-25/data-from-the-smart-meter-11610

Hi everyone, 

Just to confirm, I’ve now changed this to ‘working on it’, as the ability to compare year on year usage is being included in this work. A sneak preview of how this’ll look is available now, too. :ok_hand:

I too think that the 2 proposed solutions are terrible. The consumption is shown in the app on a monthly basis. Why is there not an option for the app to show consumption between any 2 dates [obvs. these would be dates of valid readings before anyone jumps down my throat] which could be for the previous 2, 3, 6, 12, or any number of concurrent periods of time? Thus a customer could view their consumption for the previous month, quarter, six months, year and even compare consumption for previous years with the current one. Or even compare consumption from, for instance, Jan to March over the previous 2, 3, 4, 5 years [provided they were a customer and the data is held of course].

The suggestion that you can copy the figures into Excel is frankly ridiculous when the functionality can be provided in the app. Besides, not everybody has the skills, time nor inclination to copy the figures accurately. Nor even access to [or the knowledge of how to] a spreadsheet application.

As for the calculation of consumption from readings gleaned from statements 12 months apart! You may as well go back to paper statements and calculations on the back of an envelope - because that's pretty much what that suggestion is.

As for the "estimate of annual consumption" itself, given on the statement, if that is indeed calculated from the current month's consumption multiplied by 12, then it is as much use as a chocolate teapot and a darned sight more [financially] dangerous.

For heaven's sake PurePlanet, to implement a proper consumption display in the app shouldn't take a decent developer much me than a day to implement the algorithm. Maybe a bit more than that to sort out the output as a meaningful display but frankly, it's a doodle to do. And, yes I do know what I'm talking about, I'm a retired developer and this kind of stuff is bread and butter.

@Nataly 

is this supposed to be in below thread?

It must be exceptionally easy to have the app to show on each anniversary after joining the kWhs used for each fuel and the amount paid. An annual statement could also be emailed showing that. The nerd that I am I extract the info from each statement each month and stick it in a spreadsheet but when the app has all that information already I think it must be a simple task to annualise it. Nearly typed analise!

Hi @Rix000, nice one for posting in the Community :slight_smile:

We hear you! I’ve merged your post into an existing idea in our Ideas Board, all about comparing annual usage - hope you find the changes that’re coming soon useful. :thumbsup:

Hi @Rix000, nice one for posting in the Community :slight_smile:

We hear you! I’ve merged your post into an existing idea in our Ideas Board, all about comparing annual usage - hope you find the changes that’re coming soon useful. :thumbsup:

Hi Nataly

Thanks for the welcome. And yes, I await the changes [hopefully they’ll be classifyable as improvements] with interest.

Hi, could I suggest that on your usage chart you show at least 13 months so that I can compare my current usage with the same month of the last year.

Thanks

Hi, could I suggest that on your usage chart you show at least 13 months so that I can compare my current usage with the same month of the last year.

Thanks

Although not as accurate as the total month figure, the basic information is on your statement, it tells you how much you used on average per day, compared to the same month last year - annoyingly mine almost always seems to go up.

Hey @Bluenose 

Welcome to the Community’s Ideas Board, and thank you for posting an idea. :heart_eyes:

A similar idea has actually been posted about previously, so I’ve merged your post together with the original. You’ll be pleased to hear this is being worked on and is coming very soon, so great timing. :grinning:

If you have any other ideas or feedback, we’d love to hear it!

Scottish Power show lines for this year and last year in their graphs. Makes it very easy to compare…

My problem, well more of a niggle, is my year seems to vary. I changed to PP in September 2018 so my spreadsheet starts then and the year to year figures are September to August. But then last year I fixed for 12 months in July and that seems to start a year afresh if I I am trying to compare. I have fixed again  from July next to July 2023 so I suppose I could adjust my spreadsheet to suit. PP I think use a different period to calculate their estimate. It is certainly not a year’s figures. I suspect, may be Marc and/or Nataly and/or Mads can confirm, PP simply look at the past few months and work an average from that. PP estimate more kWhs than I am consuming.

It also looks like I may have an estimated reading again in my June statement. The app tells me Smart readings have been taken for Gas on the 4th June and for electricity in the 5th June. Looking at the history it seems it has always taken the gas reading on the 4th of the month but in some months it takes another gas reading on the 5th. Nothing to cause bother ‘cause it all balances anyway but somewhere the PP system is causing itself extra work.

all balances eventually

Hey everyone, thanks for adding your feedback to this idea. Happy to say it’s now been implemented (woohoo!) in today’s app release.  :slight_smile:

@Nataly Not entirely. Annual historical usage is shown b ut not cost per fuel.

Hmm - just tried in my own app and I’m able to choose ‘yearly’ > toggle to £ > switch between combined, electricity and gas. You can also then tap on the bar in the graph for more info. :) 

Is that not working for you @G4RHL? If not, it may be a bug/specific to your account. It’s certainly a feature that should be there! 

Yup, ok for me @Nataly

@Nataly @Marc In another section with Marc I have explained more. I found the way to see what the annual cost per fuel is but the figures displayed do not match reality. Don't panic, I think this relates to a problem PP had last year when I had no statements for 4 months. So far this year the app accords with my sheet. What is helpful is that I can now identify exactly how much in kWhs I used for gas and electricity in 2020. I could not do that before. Using my new tariff starting next month my calculations now just about equate with PP’s estimate.

Plus one must keep remembering that it is a month in arrears so that my June statement relates to May or more precisely the period ending 5th June 2021.