Ability for users to set their own 'default' viewing preferences

Related products: Pure Planet Community

Is it possible for users to change their ‘default’ setting to view comments? It appears to be that the oldest posts are shown as ‘Oldest first’ by default, and I must admit I find that a little misleading at times especially as some of the conversation threads are over a year old and may not have been commented on for weeks/months.

I appreciate people have different viewing preferences and understand that you can switch to view ‘most recent’ comments, however, if you then contribute a post to a conversation (when in ‘newest first’ view) thread reverts back to the default ‘oldest first’ view which is a little frustrating. 

Thanks for posting this idea @myauntie 

My personal preference is oldest first, so that I can see the context/background and how the conversation evolves. But I get that not everyone’s the same as me! (thankfully….)

And, yep, I can see why having to change it to newest replies first every time could become annoying.

I’m having a chat with the techies about it.

@Marc  did anything happen with this suggestion? Is there a way to pre set it to newest first?

@Lapa 

If you look below vthe main post, but before the first reply, you will see on the left the number of replies to the post, on the right you will see oldest first, by tapping that it gives the options of oldest first, newest first or best voted, each option is selectable

Thank you @Duppy. I just wondered if there was a permanent solution as I’m bored (to lazy) of changing  it on nearly every post I go on 😂 

Not disputing your preference and this idea, but I like date order thank you.

@Lapa

If you look below vthe main post, but before the first reply, you will see on the left the number of replies to the post, on the right you will see oldest first, by tapping that it gives the options of oldest first, newest first or best voted, each option is selectable

Yes but that should not be necessary. It must be 99% of readers will not want to start with oldest first. Indeed, opening this subject this morning, as something has been posted to it, it appears in “While you were away” so one knows something new is there. But find out what is tedious. Newest first is the most logical and yes @25 quid that is still date order, not only that chronological order.

@G4RHL 

Do you not have the xx new in red, for each post, clicking that takes you to the latest post(s) .

I find having newest first can sometimes be confusing as some replies can be out of context

@Duppy Nope.

This is how it appears for me, 

@Duppy I don’t get that. But it looks like a smart phone screen. I don’t use a smart phone to read these pages. Far far too much hassle

@Duppy I don’t get that. But it looks like a smart phone screen. I don’t use a smart phone to read these pages. Far far too much hassle

Ah! That may be why. My laptop died some time ago, all I use now is my phone

@Duppy  I don’t even see that on my iPhone. Going to the Community takes me to the web page as normal.

@Duppy  I don’t even see that on my iPhone. Going to the Community takes me to the web page as normal.

@G4RHL Which web page?

@Duppy This one where we are now.

@G4RHL 

I've just found this in the profile settings, it may be worth checking.

@Duppy That might be the answer. Mine was set to “no”. I have changed it to “yes” but currently no obvious difference. May have to exit and enter again. I am forever having to login these days despite not logging out.

@G4RHL 

Yes I'm the same lately, sometimes have to login after being away for 10 minutes other times a few hours, there's no consistency. But it's only a click on a button, no wait for email

@Duppy The change in my profile has made no difference. I don't get red Xs. In fact looking at your screen none are shown either. Your screen is the same as mine. What I thought was different was the data at the top but that is your phone’ data and not PP’s.  Where do the red Xs hang out? At present I am stuck with “Oldest first” being the default option, which is not good when it all goes back some time.

@G4RHL 

Sorry if I confused, it's not an X, I used that to signify a number, each of these show 1new, clicking on that takes me to latest post.

I'm using an android phone, so can't help with iPhone

Settings

At let @Duppy I have found what you refer to. @woz that setting was already in place. Do se it I had to go to the Home page and then scroll down, which I never do as got no need to and there it was! I usually go straight to Menu Latest posts or While you were away and I have not seen a reference to new postings there until now. Eyesight test needed?

@G4RHL 

Glad you found it, it does make it easier when the threads have multiple pages

At let @Duppy I have found what you refer to. @woz that setting was already in place. Do se it I had to go to the Home page and then scroll down, which I never do as got no need to and there it was! I usually go straight to Menu Latest posts or While you were away and I have not seen a reference to new postings there until now. Eyesight test needed?

LOL me too lockdown has b****xed my eyesight or the brain/eye interface, not sure which!

Sooo agree re eyesight! What’s happening to us! 😳🤓🤣

Sooo agree re eyesight! What’s happening to us! 😳🤓🤣

Staring at screens all the time