A guide to average energy costs

Related products: Meter readings & usage

PP has a lot of information about customer’s usage. Has any thought been given to producing detailed figures showing what the average per customer is? I am not talking of a generalised average but one based on type of property, i.e. detached, semi-detached, terraced, apartment, how many rooms, when built, manner of construction, insulation and of course location (the latter in a general, regional sense).

Marc refers to general average figures produced by Ofcom or others but PP can produce real figures.

PP knows what we are all using and where we are but perhaps a survey of all members to ask for more detail about their properties. You could even go deeper by asking what controls does a member have over his heating system.

I don’t find generalised reports such as “For a typical dual fuel Member using the Ofgem average of 2,900kWh of elec and 12,000kWh of gas a year, the increase is 3.8%, or £34 a year.” helpful. It begs the question. What is a typical dual fuel member? 

I don’t find generalised reports such as “For a typical dual fuel Member using the Ofgem average of 2,900kWh of elec and 12,000kWh of gas a year, the increase is 3.8%, or £34 a year.” helpful. It begs the question. What is a typical dual fuel member? 

I can see​ your point, I don’t know anyone using the Ofgem average of 2,900kWh of elec[tricity] and 12,000kWh of gas a year - what are these people living in - a rabbit hutch?

For my 12 months ending September 2020 I used  16,725.50 kWh of gas and 3,776.80 kWh of electricity. Very little different to the previous year. I live in a 4 bedroom 1997 built detached house in the NE. An accurate calculation across the country would surely be helpful to suppliers and the all green planners?

Apparently I’m using 12,058 on gas and 7452 on electricity    My electricity went up when I switched over to a smart meter which may of course be co incidental and we were at home due to the lockdown but we’re now all out of the house during the day but still paying the same electricity    I’m supposed to turn all electricity off for 4 hours (including freezers) but that’s actually very difficult ultimately to do as we’re either in the house and needing elec or out for a lot longer than 4 hours and so can’t risk freezers defrosting.  Really I’d like to get rid of the smart meter as of course it doesn’t save you money but just makes you aware of what is expensive to run which I know anyway  

I like the sound of this @G4RHL 

I’m wondering whether some kind of short animation would be useful. That might be OTT… Either way a clear, visual guide to what uses the most energy would be great.

We’d need to be careful though. We can’t say for certain what someone’s energy usage will be based on the property. There’s so much else to consider, mostly what people’s behaviours/preferences are in terms of heating etc, and how many appliances they run.