Implemented

What should be included in a community newsletter?

• Community Manager
  • 6985 replies
Idea Status: Implemented

Good morning all

We (well, me really...) are/is finally getting around to sorting a community newsletter which I will send members once a month by email.
The idea is to show off some of the best discussions, ideas, feedback, tips, photos, polls (you name it, we got it) here in the community, so that some of our occasional community members get more involved.

What I'd like to know is what everyone thinks should be included. The plan is to send it once a month with a look back at the previous month.
I'm leaning towards 'less is more' and ending the newsletter with a sign-off along the lines of 'for more community highlights in check out this post' - linking to the highlights post such as this one for May.

The newsletter therefore could have:

Three top dicussions - ideally one 'general', one about renewables, one about smart meters.
One community spotlight on a member
Summary of new features (either community ones or app) or general releases
One featured post (such as a community Q&A, or a significant piece of news such as a price change).

Does that sound OK or too much? Or not enough?!

What about a leaderboard summary? Maybe for points, or number of best answers? Or most popular polls?

Also I'll be mindful to include a prominent 'unsubscribe' button as I'm aware that not everyone wants an email.

This is very much a blank slate right now. So if you've got some preferences and ideas, I'd love to hear them!

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Hi marc.
I agree less is more. Too much will become a boring read, could include things like what happen last month, what to expect next month in PP world. Big environmental news. Then off the cuff summery of community activity.
Also how about a fact section showing updated and latest numbers every month, could include:- how many.. community members, meters installed, etc etc.
Also would be nice to know how you carbon offset the gas. Actual facts like how many trees have been planted, how much rainforest has been purchased, most people know you pay to offset but what happens to that wonga ? For example when i take a flight and it costs £30 to offset it then i buy 3 trees with that money from woodland trust etc. Not always them but you get my drift.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Yep less is absolutely more.

The opening of the news letter needs to strike a chord so that the content is mostly directed to and favours those who are not active in the community. Its should be about encouraging engagement, without trying to be overly technical by updating members on PP's initiatives and objectives. If peeps want more in-depth stuff then theres always those lovely links.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Write your fab monthly community highlights thingy as always Marc, then just summarise that. You don’t wanna make more work, and the highlights thing is always superb, so with a bit of editing, and tweaks to aim it at the less engaged, you’ll have a winner 👍.

The monthly highlights covers all; with the emphasis on the rewards, and mentions of the PP open days and competitions etc, it’ll hopefully grab the attention of those that might not even realise such a community exists 🙀or have just never shown an interest before.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Good suggestions from jon1 and Strutty da G
I quite like the looking ahead section too, but in mind of conciseness (not a nice word...) how about a few words on major developments in the pipeline if there is anything significant to report?
I don't think it should contain or be too centred on individual members because that's what the highlights post is for, but as said it should encourage community involvement whilst being more global in it's approach.A fine balance indeed.
Although the May post is lengthy it's well written and interesting.

​Cynical though this may sound, there will be lots of customers who have come to PP mainly because of price, and the green credentials are secondary. Obviously it's important to push the competitive prices aspect because that's what attracts the most customers, but I'd like to see the green part reinforced more in the newsletter.(Jon's point regarding that is very good).
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
What about mine, Wozeeta? 😫😫😫😫😫😫🤪😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Oh...you're not going to believe this but it wasn't there when I started my post, sorry Bev, not intentional and I agree, the highlight is/are good (kudos @Marc) the problem is it's too long for a newsletter (unless you skim read...lalala...), the obvious thing to go in my view is a very long list of members, but that said, you could have a list of those who have joined the community since last month
A welcome to new members: Tooflowerywizz, jonnybee, ali-gspeak, Thelion, Eminencegris, Gorewinder and Bevvypoohahha etc to the community..(any resemblance unintentional)

Bev;31451:
What about mine, Wozeeta? ������������������������������������������������
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
I absolutely do believe you our Wozeeta bless, you’re ultra honest. 👍😉

​Indeed re list of names, but LOVE idea of replacing that with new members names 🙀👍👏👏👏👏. Love your fabricated members names 😂😂😂😂😂😂, not sure why I’m 💩tho 🤨😛😉😂
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Sounds like a good idea, Marc, specially for those members who are inactive. I guess I would highlight: useful info about Pure Planet (as in changes that affect customers), improvements, short term future plans, Q&As, etc. It feel like it should be engaging and educational.
Hi Marc.

Will this newsletter be going to all registered members, or only the ones who have actually registered at the Community?

Not much I can think to add to what's already been said really, to my mind you need to find the balance between providing everything in the newsletter, and actually getting the members to come here.

To that end, I would not have more than 4-6 sections of the newsletter, you don't want it so long that people won't even glance at it, ideally a short paragraph on each topic with links to the relevant sections or threads here.

Gwynd
Gabolino;31548:
Sounds like a good idea, Marc, specially for those members who are inactive. I guess I would highlight: useful info about Pure Planet (as in changes that affect customers), improvements, short term future plans, Q&As, etc. It feel like it should be engaging and educational.

That's what I'm thinking @Gabolino
Not sure about educational! We're not the BBC 😂
Gwyndy;31628:

Will this newsletter be going to all registered members, or only the ones who have actually registered at the Community?

That is an excellent point @Gwyndy which I've been pondering.
We have options....

1. Everyone on supply with PP
2. Everyone who has registered in the community
3. Everyone who has registered in the community, and has a PP account and has already agreed to receive marketing emails.

Number 1 has the most number of people, Number 2 is what most communities do, Number 3 is probably what we should do, even if it's also the lowest number of people out of the three options.

😕

What does everyone else think?
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
3 👍
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
iii
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
3 :foldedhands:
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Marc;31689:
That's what I'm thinking @Gabolino
Not sure about educational! We're not the BBC 😂

By educational I mean posts that help people understand how to read their bill, the difference between types of smart meters, etc.
Gabolino;31761:
By educational I mean posts that help people understand how to read their bill, the difference between types of smart meters, etc.

Hey @Gabolino
Yes, I agree that's going to be useful too. 🆙
All that info is in our FAQs and a lot of it is already in joining emails, but it won't hurt to keep helping people get their heads around it!
Hi everyone
Thank you for this really cool feedback. Love it! :raisinghands:
Just to let you all know what's happening at PP Towers about this.

Taking on board what you guys have said about who to send this email to, we're thinking that a community newsletter to Members who are already registered with the commuity and have agreed to receive marketing emails may limit us a bit. That number is a bit low, and the whole point is to reach more people who don't yet know about the community.... To show them all the great stuff happening here.
Also listening to what you've said, we don't want to send it to people who have not agreed to receive marketing emails.
So, we're planning to combine community news with general PP news/updates into one monthly newsletter, going to all Members (registered with the community or not) who have agreed to receive marketing emails.
This does mean that the newsletter won't be exclusively about the community, which does make me a bit sad, but that it'll be sent to many more Members, giving us a lot more exposure, which is great news.:o And makes me happy!

Next step is to start looking at systems and designs. I will of course share these with the community 🆙
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Perfect Marc 👍👏👏👏
Hi all
Just a quick update on this. We're sending out a pilot newsletter to about 2,000 members this Sunday evening. Randomly selected from those who've agreed to receive marketing emails. We want to see if it drives replies as well as general feedback, before widening it out 👍
Did anyone get the first marketing newsletter over the weekend?
Any thoughts?
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Sorry Marc I was so busy thinking that I achieved bugger all.

Not true and forwarded PP's nice email to peeps I know because I liked the way it came across.
Strutt G;53217:
forwarded PP's nice email to peeps I know because I liked the way it came across.

Great to hear that @Strutt G
​​​​​​​Our marketing team will be pleased!
Nope. How about posting a link here?
Marc;53125:
Did anyone get the first marketing newsletter over the weekend?
Any thoughts?