Implemented

Web Page Portal

• 4 November 2018
  • 30 replies

Userlevel 6
Idea Status: Implemented

I have searched for this but cannot see it, but I feel would already be covered, anyway, here is my idea.

To develop a Web Page portal to access your account, which mirrors the functionality of the App. This would help everyone who did not want to access by their phone / pad all the time but is using a PC or a Mac.

30 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Already covered somewhere Gil, and can’t do links, but it’s deffo no. PP are cutting edge ✂️, and Windows and PCs are antiquated and ancient 👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎. Seriously, the whole cutting edge feel is what truly drew me into PP and IMO that would sooooo be going backwards, and would seriously deter me. No lie. Just my opinion like.
Userlevel 6
Apologies to all and @Bev, I assumed this idea would have been but I probably cannot find it for looking.

Just for clarity, I am suggesting the App is also created for the Windows mobile platform, with the option then to add to Windows store. This is in-keeping with iOS and Android app functionality, just an additional platform. I personally don't see that as a step backwards, it will be down to how many users are not able to join because they do not have iOS / Android mobile platforms.

Similarly, the web portal idea is the same app approach, just another platform to run exactly the same "app" functionality as we see today.

I'll shut up now and move swiftly on....:o
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
No, never apologise Gil, it wasn’t put forward as an actual idea here as such, just a passing comment in a thread if I remember rightly. Only vaguely read it, as wasn’t for me, but somehow remember it’d be such a small percentage who’d require it, so think it was a no.

But dont let that deter your idea, no way. That was just my own opinion, Gil 👍
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Yes bev i remember a post that said only 1% of phones are windows based so the cost of development and license fees would be too expensive for any possible benefit.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
hi gil
no apologies necessary, it has been covered but I'll tell you why I think the web portal isn't going to happen.
PP have made a conscious decision to be an app-only based supplier and that is the direction they want to develop.
I've pointed out (ad nauseum) that it strangles the demographic, but that's the way they want it. (I agree with you about the web portal)

Also the windows mobile is so small a market it's not worth the development costs.
dgilbert2;15616:
Apologies to all and @Bev, I assumed this idea would have been but I probably cannot find it for looking.

Just for clarity, I am suggesting the App is also created for the Windows mobile platform, with the option then to add to Windows store. This is in-keeping with iOS and Android app functionality, just an additional platform. I personally don't see that as a step backwards, it will be down to how many users are not able to join because they do not have iOS / Android mobile platforms.

Similarly, the web portal idea is the same app approach, just another platform to run exactly the same "app" functionality as we see today.

I'll shut up now and move swiftly on....:o
Userlevel 6
I'm still going to vote for a "same functionality" web portal, it would be so helpful in my book, even if the Windows platform idea gets booted out. Just look how many people who had problems with the app, for whatever reason, "may" have found such a portal more natural to navigate around. PC's and Desktops (& web browsers) are going to around for many years to come 🙂
Hi @dgilbert2
Nice one for posting this. 🆙
We're looking into it.
FYI if you hadn't spotted it yet, I've split your idea into two threads. One thread for the Windows Phone idea, and one for the web idea. Because it's two different things.
Userlevel 4
Hi @dgilbert2 :o

On my wishlist is a desktop progressive web app.

I'll be honest, and say that this is probably a long term item. We want to make our app the best available on the market, and for the moment, that means focusing on it, improving it, making it more reliable etc.

But as @woz says, this does exclude some people from our product which ideally we wouldn't do. A desktop progressive web app, I think, would go a long way to solving this. Thoughts?
Userlevel 6
Hi @Georgie, I don't pretend to know the in's and out's of "desktop progressive web apps", but they look like browser apps that will run with the likes of Chrome, Firefox etc.?

If I've understood that correctly, it gets my vote and would be so useful for when iOS / Android is not an option for whatever reason.
Hi @Gil
A progressive web app is basically a web page with some app functionality.
It doesn't do everything an app does, because apps like ours do pull in lots of data from different places. But it'll do some, for instance joining, sending a meter reading. And not, for example, changing DD payment dates.
The thing about PWAs is that they're supported by both Google and Apple which is great.
It also means that there will be rules about what kinds of app functionality will be allowed to go into the PWA versions.
Everyone's assuming that Google will be more lenient, Apple will be stricter!
Userlevel 6
Thanks for the update Marc, even with reduced functionality it will bridge the gap between those wanting PC access as well as mobile devices 😮
Userlevel 7
Badge +1
Interesting. If a 'progressive web app' fails to get past the 'under consideration' phase, would it be possible to view our account status through a browser, be it Chrome, Firefox, Edge, whatever? Even if it lacked the functionality of the app, just being able to view and print from a 17" screen would make things easier (for me at least).
Hi all
I've changed the status of this idea from 'On hold' to 'Looking into it' because we're, erm, looking into it! :rolleyes:
It's not something specifically for Windows users, but for all internet browsers.
The app will still be really important, especially with notifications and eventually close-to-real-time data info from smart meters.
What we're looking at for the browser version is basic account info, as well as the ability for people to join Pure Planet of course, without needing an app.
I'll share some more info here soon. And when we're closer to going live with something I'll update the community more widely 🆙
Hi all
As most of you know, we're now working on this. 💪
I'm not a fan of the word 'portal' (unless it's in a sci-fi movie, in which case it's all good 😂) but it's basically the same functionality as the app, but in a web browser. So, a web app.
New features will be app first, and some will be app only like notifications of course when we get them.

The other thing about web which is pretty interesting from a development/testing point of view is that it will be much easier for us to share beta versions with trusted Members (nudge nudge, wink wink!) before releases.
I'm looking at you @Lenny @woz @Jowl @MrSmart 😉 as I know you guys are into your tech! But I'm happy to involve more people.
Right now we're estimating it'll be in about eight weeks time (June!) when we'll need your help.
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Brilliant! Always happy to help @Marc 🙂
Badge +2
a web app is an absolute MUST. Sorry @Bev but you are very wrong. PC's and laptop OS' are still going to be around for a long time and as we are talking energy companies that can affect every generation, it's vital we cater for as many people as possible. As I mentioned in another thread Digital is good and a web app should absolutely tie in with that. It should be entirely possible, and good practice to make the App and Web side of things tie in together so they can be maintened in the back end easily. And half decent developer will do this (and I'm sure PP's are!!)

I'm more than happy to test anything. Portal is a word is fine but I guess Web App still features the 'App' so it's nice and easy.

I really feel a Web App will easy many new customers concerns/compaints and aid communication all around. If it works as it should, it will actually mean less work for PP customer services and submitting readings and checking bills and even enquires will mean a reduction is repeat questions.

I think I feel quite strongly about this 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
No, I do hear you Jowl. I do. I respect some may still want exactly what you’ve described. I just know my lappy is now in cupboard, unused, and can do everything I personally need to do via iPad. That’s just me tho, I know that.

But, as I’ve always said, one of the main attractions to me of PP, and is still the case, is it’s uniqueness, it’s cutting edge approach, it’s like no other. I’d be disappointed if it lost that, and went, dare I say, backwards.

Take ten years ago say, I bet lots were saying don’t take away landlines, I’m never moving to mobile. Now how many people use landlines and / or call centres? They’ll always be SOME but it’s a reflection on what a company represents as a whole, so introducing little things back into their current way of being very cutting edge, just taints it slightly for me.

But but but, that’s ME Jowl, as I say, and I do respect your words, and have no doubt quite a few will feel the same as you, maybe some the same as me, and if it doesn’t create any problems for PP, then I’m sure it’ll be done to accommodate those who want it. It’s just my feeling, Jowl.
Badge +2
That's what we're all here for Bev - our opinions 🙂 I like that we can share them even they are different sometimes.

I guess I don't see having other app versions as a step backwards. It's funny because I'm a IT Techy by trade and I love cutting edge stuff - and will hapily try it first. But I've also seen people get the latest 'new shiney' (especially in schools) and disgraded current tech as 'old'. Things tend to go in phases too. I think we all know portable devices are the future - but that's no reason that we can't use existing current web tech to help.
Badge +2
I've also just noticed Bev's Avatar 😃 😃
Badge +2
I think @Bev deserves to move up to Level 42...
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Thanks Jowl 👍, and ooooooh yes Lenny 🙀, hadn’t realised! Takes me back! Mark King ya bugger 🎸👍👏, giving me ideas already for my next avatar 😂
Hi all

Here's a few screengrabs of new PP account in web.
I haven't posted these in the community's testing & feedback section because we know they're going to need more polish.
In fact it's likely that we're going to sit down and completely revisit the desktop design again.
This is what we've got for now, coming to a web browser near you next week, to get the web service live.

Account balance page on web:

And WattBot in web:

Transaction history on web:

We know these aren't brilliant form a design perspective. They're very much step 1. What is cool though is that it shares the same code as the app. So when we make updates in the future, we'll only need to do it once.
Some elements (such as the torch) will be 'hidden' if not right for a desktop web experience.
And of course, the app will have notifications eventually.

For next's week first web version, there's going to be a couple of things missing. I'll send you guys a message on Friday to confirm date of go-live and what's new, what's missing, other useful info (such as which browsers will support it).

Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Lookin good, lookin good 👍👍👍
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
hi marc
​I know you haven't finished, why are the buttons so low? Also on first one text should be vertically central not low as it is now.
I know your designers are on the case, portrait to landscape...
Also you need to think about text contrast, the demographic using the web portal is likely to be older, so eyes not as good.
Marc;31061:
Hi all

Here's a few screengrabs of new PP account in web.
I haven't posted these in the community's testing & feedback section because we know they're going to need more polish.
In fact it's likely that we're going to sit down and completely revisit the desktop design again.
This is what we've got for now, coming to a web browser near you next week, to get the web service live.

Account balance page on web:

And WattBot in web:

Transaction history on web:

We know these aren't brilliant form a design perspective. They're very much step 1. What is cool though is that it shares the same code as the app. So when we make updates in the future, we'll only need to do it once.
Some elements (such as the torch) will be 'hidden' if not right for a desktop web experience.
And of course, the app will have notifications eventually.

For next's week first web version, there's going to be a couple of things missing. I'll send you guys a message on Friday to confirm date of go-live and what's new, what's missing, other useful info (such as which browsers will support it).

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Make sure it doesn’t interfere with my cutting edge app version please 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂