Implemented

Warn new community registrations that their username will be public

• 1 December 2020
  • 12 replies

You did this previously with forum posts. It’s worth doing it here too to help people depersonalise their usernames. This might help avoid requests for changes as well as protecting privacy. 

12 replies

I’m sure this can be easily done @25 quid :slight_smile:

Thanks for posting this

“Choose your publicly shown username”

I reconsidered...

Hey @25 quid 

We’ve updated the wording used on this screen now :) 

Er, @Nataly, that wording change misses the point and doesn’t really warn users that their name is publicly seen. 

But anyway, it’s nice to have a change. 😉 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Nataly and @25 quid 

I don’t see the point of that wording at all, I think it’s superfluous.

If someone chooses a username already taken that’s the point at which a message should say “That username is already taken , please choose a different user name.”

Choose a username: -the initial message should say “Please be aware that your username is public and could be used to identify you if you use your real name.”

That way people who don’t mind or don’t care can make whatever decision suits them without PP being over prescriptive. (and no one should come back for a change of name afterwards unless they didn’t see the message)

Quite wordy our @woz, That’s why I suggested: 

“Choose your publicly shown username”

May I suggest:

‘Select your forum username, do not use your real name, or anything rude.’

Although this member seems to have got away with it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

May I suggest:

‘Select your forum username, do not use your real name, or anything rude.’

Although this member seems to have got away with it.

@Gwyndy blunt and overly prescriptive, (a bit like my answer here) - you can’t tell people not to use their real name if that’s what they want..and you aren’t talking to children. Anything “rude” will soon be flagged anyway.

@25 quid I know you wrote that and I agree mine is wordy, but it includes the reason why.

What about “Your username is public, please avoid using your real name”

Hee hee, maybe that idea politely falls fowl of your own rule @woz. Anyway, it seems PP have ruled on this and we’re quietly rearranging the deck chairs as the Titanic sinks. Perhaps an overly negative futility metaphor, but it sprang to mind.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hee hee, maybe that idea politely falls fowl of your own rule @woz. Anyway, it seems PP have ruled on this and we’re quietly rearranging the deck chairs as the Titanic sinks. Perhaps an overly negative futility metaphor, but it sprang to mind.

@25 quid yes it’s a fine line between a polite request and an edict, I toyed with many options, it’s best not to, it’s advisable, anyway, I have some deckchair rearranging to get on with...

@Nataly perhaps you can reassure us of the thinking in your chosen wording — we’re concerned it doesn’t really address the original issue. 😊 

Hi @25 quid 

Sure - we’re trying to strike the right balance between giving (prospective) Members enough info, versus not scaring them off creating an account. 

Feedback noted, though - we’ve updated it further :thumbsup: