• 6 January 2019
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10
  • Rocket Scientist
  • 9760 replies
Idea Status: Implemented
​​​​​​​

It's surprising how difficult it is for someone who doesn't know their way around the community (and for someone who does!) to easily find the current tariff and details of the membership fee (or standing charge) and the discount.
If you don't believe me try it.
A simple link on the top line with "tariff" linking to an up-to-date page and a tweak on the search heuristics to ensure that if anyone types the word tariff or prices or rates or charges into search, then that page comes up at the top of the search list.
The page could also have a "get a quote" link on it.
Not everyone who visits the community is already a member.
I'd add that if they do manage to eventually hit lucky and find the members rate increase post, that post doesn't mention the dual discount.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Have to agree with this one fully Wozeeta 👍👏
Userlevel 7
Badge +1
While I agree with Woz regarding the ability to view the tariff, including membership fees/standing charges and dual fuel discount, I'm not convinced a "get a quote" link is a good idea. In my opinion the web portal should be for viewing information (including our statement) while getting a quote, entering meter readings etc. should be via the app.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
You can also get a quote on the main PP website; the get a quote link idea was merely to save the reader an extra journey...
Oakbank;20851:
While I agree with Woz regarding the ability to view the tariff, including membership fees/standing charges and dual fuel discount, I'm not convinced a "get a quote" link is a good idea. In my opinion the web portal should be for viewing information (including our statement) while getting a quote, entering meter readings etc. should be via the app.
Badge +2
Historic values would also be useful.

It would also be helpful to have the ex-VAT price. I've noticed from the bills that PP (so far) have stuck to just 2 decimal points for electricity unit costs (I think a previous supplier went to 4).

Trying to calculate the ex-VAT cost from the quoted inc-VAT costs gives rise to rounding problems.

Example, my current rate in the South West is shown as 14.543p, which when divided by 1.05 gives 13.85047619, rather than the correct figure of simply 13.85

It is the ex-VAT prices that are used to calculate the bills, with VAT then added at the final step.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi Lenny
The problem is the prices shown in the list
HERE andHERE and not hereand HERE and *HERE show inc. vat to only 3 decimal places AND AS YOU SAY THEY DON'T TALLY WITH THE EX-VAT BILL PRICES.
My bill appears to have 4 decimal places for unit cost, albeit the last 2 digits are zero.

1. I think the best solution would be to make it much clearer that the published price list includes vat and to provide a link to an exceptionally clearly titled price list that is vat exclusive

2. It would also be good if you didn't round the published inc-vat price list to 3 places but used 4.
So I'm adding a suggestion for these please @Marc

as an example (both end in 5, well they would wouldn't they..):-
The rate is quoted on the price list:-
12.506 is billed at 11.9100+ vat which is 12.5055
2.930 is billed at 2.7900+ vat which is 2.9295
(and Lenny's example
14.5430/1.05 = 13.8505)

(I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth - thanks, I appreciate the 0.004% discount! It's small but if you're dealing with a few thousand units as you will especially with gas, as Lenny rightly says produce errors compared to the published prices.
...and before anyone says it's tiny, get a life, we can't help it, we're built that way...
and what is a gift horse anyway?

P.S. Links to a historic page? Agreed.See links above but..
Links to a historic page showing each change would be nice, it's quite hard to find each change by searching. You have no idea how long it took me to find the links above (grrr) and in the end I still couldn't locate the original price list.(unless it was link 1 for 1/8/17?)
*The last link image is dated 27th Nov but didn't apply to existing customers until 15th Jan
Lenny;21474:
Historic values would also be useful.

13.8505 x 1.05 = 15.5430 25 so that one would be OK to 4 dp's

It would also be helpful to have the ex-VAT price. I've noticed from the bills that PP (so far) have stuck to just 2 decimal points for electricity unit costs (I think a previous supplier went to 4).

Trying to calculate the ex-VAT cost from the quoted inc-VAT costs gives rise to rounding problems.

Example, my current rate in the South West is shown as 14.543p, which when divided by 1.05 gives 13.85047619, rather than the correct figure of simply 13.85

It is the ex-VAT prices that are used to calculate the bills, with VAT then added at the final step.

Hi @woz
This is a great idea.
Now that the new community homepage is live we've got a bit more breathing space.
Well actually we've got shed-loads of breathing space - have you seen the size of our new office?!

Anyway, this will soon be done as an FAQ. 🆙