Not for us

Support for joint accounts (two names on an account)

• 12 January 2021
  • 9 replies

It would be helpful to make it so that you do support two names on bills.  Many institutions ask for utility bills as proof of identity.  We pay our bill to you by direct debit from a joint account but the second account holder is then disadvantaged.

I realise identity is not your prime concern but would be good to understand why you don’t support joint names when houses and bank accounts are often (normally?) in joint names.

9 replies

Hi @AGCGreg,

Yes, it seems like you’re out of luck.

Whilst you can add a name to th account, it doesn’t appear on the bill.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@AGCGreg

Can anyone tell me if any energy company supports joint names on bills? I thought this was now frowned upon and had been stopped by all energy companies because of credit referencing issues.

I maybe wrong maybe there is an odd one who will allow it?

You  should be able to have joint names on your water account and  bank statement. Council tax is a possibility but if you live in the property you’re jointly liable for payment even if your name isn’t on the bill.

(I don’t work for PP)

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@AGCGreg 

I replied in your other post here

We have just moved from Tonik energy where we had both names on the account.  Why would water and Council Tax be different from electricity and gas?  Properties and bank accounts have facility for joint ownership/names why wouldn’t the liabilities that go with them?

Equally is good for the utility company as it gives two people to hold liable in case of default.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@AGCGreg 

I suspect it hugely complicates the credit reference check with more likelihood of refusal or issues if debt needs to be chased etc

I think it would be good to offer the option, I can’t see why it should be an issue as both parties agree to credit checks and are happy with the potential damage to a credit file if one of the parties defaults.
In a nutshell that is why a lot of companies have stopped offering it

Don’t shoot me I’m only the messenger...

Hey @AGCGreg, thanks for posting an idea! 

Can anyone tell me if any energy company supports joint names on bills? I thought this was now frowned upon and had been stopped by all energy companies because of credit referencing issues.

You  should be able to have joint names on your water account and  bank statement. Council tax is a possibility but if you live in the property you’re jointly liable for payment even if your name isn’t on the bill.

This is spot on from @woz. Many energy suppliers stopped allowing joint names on statements as it causes complications for liability and credit referencing. The credit checking complications mean in this case joint names on statements isn’t for us. 

A good solution to this is spreading the primary name across various bills as @woz suggested to ensure you both have proofs of address should you need. 

Please do add anything else you’d like to see to our Ideas Board in future or our testing and feedback section:slight_smile:

My wife, bless her, she’s doomed if anything happens to me, her name’s only on the bank statement, her benefits paperwork, and the agreement for the WAV (Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle.)
All the utilities are in my name, as I’m the one who has to deal with them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

My wife, bless her, she’s doomed if anything happens to me, her name’s only on the bank statement, her benefits paperwork, and the agreement for the WAV (Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle.)

Funnily enough, I only mentioned this to my wife yesterday, she is currently appealing a PIP decision where they say she can arrange, set and keep to budgets. I pointed out to her that I sort all the utilities, car, insurances, even boiler cover, all she does is purchase from the internet and has her own bank account. Even if I tried to show her I don't think she could take it all in, she would have to rely on the children if anything happens to me

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Funnily enough, I only mentioned this to my wife yesterday, she is currently appealing a PIP decision where they say she can arrange, set and keep to budgets. I pointed out to her that I sort all the utilities, car, insurances, even boiler cover, all she does is purchase from the internet and has her own bank account. Even if I tried to show her I don't think she could take it all in, she would have to rely on the children if anything happens to me

I suppose it’s fortunate that kids know everything then….:robot: