New

Subsidised gas boiler replacement with an electric?

• 11 September 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

Would anyone else sign up to a gas-to-elec boiler replacement scheme?

Offsetting gas is great, but we are still burning a fossil fuel. I’d rather be a no-gas home.

Any plumbers out there? What would that job cost roughly?

If it was £1,000 would anyone go 50/50 with the government / PP?

Would value a discussion here if anyone thinks the idea holds water! :)

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Yes if I win the lottery.

The electric kWh prices for heating (or for anything) are approx. 5 x the kWh prices for gas, and that doesn’t take pipe losses into account, so for the same level of insulation and comfort (and all other things being equal, you can expect at least a five fold increase in heating costs.

On the other hand with a huge investment in a ground source heat pump and solar it is feasible (or it will be for future occupants as payback time is about 20 years)

Also what’s the point of having an electric boiler that pumps water round, (other than the water infrastructure is existing but if you were starting from scratch you wouldn’t do that) you may as well just put electric radiators in and lose the water, I’d rather have a leak in a piece of wire than an unnecessary pipe. Cynical - sorry….

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I once swapped a clunky 20 year old oil boiler for a 9kw electric flow boiler. In terms of running cost the electric one is way more efficient as its instant heat so used less time than the oil boiler. 

If swapping out a gas boiler it would be more expensive to run unless it was a really old and i mean very old boiler. Modern condensing ones are way more efficient. 

As for install it will vary wildly. I had a hot water tank so didnt need an expansion tank but you also need an individual 30amp fuse and as i had no spare space i had to put in a new consumer unit. Overall it cost £1500 or so. But budget for 800 upto 2000 depending on what setup you have now . 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Remember also that new types of boilers are on the horizon the Government having decreed that new houses cannot have gas boilers. Worcester Bosch and I think Viessman in Germany are developing boilers that start off using natural gas but easily convert to hydrogen in the future. The existing infrastructure for natural gas can take hydrogen.

But, as already said, if you really want an expensive electric boiler to heat your house then you must be better off in the long run stripping out the water based system and installing electric radiators, there now being some very efficient ones. A chap I know replaced his gas boiler with an electric one. His electricity bills are awful.

In the late 1970s early 1980s I had my 1935 house heated by electric panel radiators. It was that or oil, no gas in the area, and oil was expensive. We had had the oil crisis and three day weeks. The running cost then was less than using oil or bottled gas. The radiators were extremely efficient. Sadly, when we came to extend the house and fit additional radiators the panel radiators, or their equivalent, had become prohibitively expensive due to manufacturing standards and designs being changed, such that we had to turn to oil.

However, allowing for inflation, the cost of electricity then was a lot more than we pay today!

I did read a couple of years back that a University in the South West has designed and built a new house that was 100% energy efficient (using insulation, heat pumps and a complete solar roof) and the extra cost to do it was about £1500 more than the normal average build cost. So it can be done.

Having said all this I am shortly to go electric to heat my conservatory for the existing radiator is inadequate, sort of at the end of the line. I believe nowadays Building Regulations say you cannot put a radiator connected to one’s central heating system in a conservatory. Nothing to do with safety but the odd belief that you might leave it on and the heat is wasted! Electric is the most efficient but not for one’s bank account.

Userlevel 1

Good chat guys thanks for the info. Lots of details I didn’t know. Woz I hope your finances improve :)

Cheers

It’s a really nice idea @Edmund81 

Who knows, perhaps we (PP) could partner with an organisation which does this.

Userlevel 1

Thanks Marc 

I should have mentioned in my first post, my idea came from :

We moved from a flat where our monthly bills were Gas 60, elec 40 so £100pm.

We moved to a similar flat in a similar age building with just elec and it cost around £100 pm - the same! 

VERY rough comparison I know but those are the facts as it hit my wallet.

So if I can get 100% true green elec I'd happily give up gas and I'm not a wealthy fellow.

Nice to join the community 😉