Staged communication required especially for new joiners

• 25 November 2018
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
  • Rocket Scientist
  • 11252 replies
Idea Status: Implemented

There appears to be a need for much improved staged communication especially during the switching-in process.
There are so many posts asking for details about meter readings or where the switch is up to, or not being able to submit sometimes because of an account issue.
That this affects only a small proportion of joiners doesn't mitigate the (apparent?) lack of communication
As a starter I suggest (in the absence of robust app notifications)

1. Where there are issues setting up an account an email to say we are still verifying your meter (or similar), once verified we will email you and you will be able to submit readings in the app

2.email to confirm we have received your readings and these will be verified with your previous supplier.

3.email to confirm readings have been verified with the readings listed in the email

4. email to say all is good and you are now being supplied by PP, your DD is set at blah blah Blah
If all that is in place now it isn't running on all cylinders (If you'll pardon the internal combustion pun)

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1
Ensuring the meter serial numbers expected match reality should be confirmed before readings are taken.
Perhaps a tick box if they match and a field for the user to enter the actual number if they differ.

What to do if the serial numbers don't match should be made clear. Wattbot was no help to me in this regard.

I've posted this here because the info requested is a direct result of PP communications.
Oakbank;18231:
What to do if the serial numbers don't match should be made clear. Wattbot was no help to me in this regard.

Hear you @Oakbank :)
This idea is captured over here.
2.email to confirm we have received your readings and these will be verified with your previous supplier.

3.email to confirm readings have been verified with the readings listed in the email

We're not so keen on this many emails @woz
Feels like people will start to glaze over if they get too many.
But I get the gist of what you're saying.
Acknowledgement that the opening meter readings have been received > This is what we will be doing with them > We've done what we said we'd do... and so on.
Hi @woz
Quick update on this so you know it's not been forgotten.
We're currently reviewing our joining process and comms, so this is really useful.
Here's a pic of some work in progress and brainstorming 🆙

Hi @woz @Oakbank

Some upates on this:
We're still reviewing the number of emails we send to new joiners and how effective they are. Currently we're thinking that we'll merge the welcome to PP from our founders email with the welcome pack email into one, and it'll be clearer that first payment is taken on their switch date.
We're also working on a new, extra email about what happens to opening meter readings. This will be sent to the new Member after they've sent their opening reading. It'll include info about what happens to their readings, how it can take up to six weeks to get a final bill from their old supplier, how sometimes an estimate will be used instead, and why. (There's also going to be an extra page in the app - with the same info - which appears after the opening reading has been sent.)
If the new Member doesn't send us opening meter readings, they'll get a slightly different email, which will explain a bit more about estimates.

I think this will really help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +1
Marc

Cool stuff. Looks like you need a bigger board. :rolleyes:
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
New larger office wall coming in very handy for brainstorming 😂😂😂
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
What about a sample bill how to read your statements with the welcome pack
Hi all!
Our new comms for new joiners is in place.
We've combined the welcome pack email with the hello from the founders email. Also, the welcome packs will be send straight away now (instead of the next day).
And now the emails between joining and coming on supply have much more emphasis on getting that opening reading, what happens to the opening reading (and that it can take up to six weeks) and when the first payment is taken.

Eight days before coming on supply:

We're ready for your first meter reading

Last chance to send us your opening meter reading

We're taking your first payment

There's no 100% guarantee that everyone is going to read these emails! But we'll be monitoring contact as usual.
Thanks @woz @Oakbank @David j @Strutt G
I appreciate that this isn't everything that's been suggested. It's a start. 🆙
Userlevel 7
Badge +1
Looks like an improvement to me.
The only fly in the ointment I can think of is where someone does their sums and joins up using the 'summer' direct debit, only to find their first direct debit is at the 'winter' rate.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Great! defiantly steps in the right direction