Implemented

Repeated signatures in long threads annoy me and distract from the conversation

• 11 December 2019
  • 35 replies

No names here @Marc, but sometimes when I'm reading a thread the replies are overwhelmed by the signatures. As I know we love to see the signatures, because of the useful or hilarious content, I suggest hiding signatures after they have been enjoyed once on a post on a page.

I thought I could do this in css with signature:first-of-type, but you don’t have an appropriate selector to spot each unique signature. So I went for jQuery, which you already have loaded.

Paste this into your browser console on a thread page to see what I mean:var seen = {};
$('.signature').each(function() {
var txt = $(this).text();
if (seen)
$(this).css('display', 'none').parent().parent().css('height', 'initial').prev().css('height', 'initial');
else
seen = true;
});

I’m sure your devs can do better with access to the source code, but feel free to see if they dare include it on the page.

Assuming others agree less is more...
Cheers

35 replies

Ooh I like this @25 quid
And yes I'm def guilty of a signature which needs trimming 🤣
​​​​​​​
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
😂😂😂😂😂

Is mine short enough or in need of a trim? 💇*♀️😂
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Keep it short is my advice (I never follow my own advice)
​​​​​​​I keep mine in a tight knot...(polished from time to time)
Bev;44721:
😂😂😂😂😂

Just trimmed mine this morning.
Half of it's gone now 😂
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
All sounds good, I've edited my original message because I can no longer see a delete message button?
I still reckon my, once is enough idea, would keep us from accidentally over-facing ourselves...
Anyway, great to get trim for Christmas!
well done @Marc very slim.
🏋🏻
Bev;44721:
😂😂😂😂😂

Always svelt @Bev
25 quid;44793:
I still reckon my, once is enough idea, would keep us from accidentally over-facing ourselves...

Yep it's a great idea @25 quid
Our tech guys are looking into this. I don't think it's going to be too complex for them to sort out 👍
If it really annoys you that much, you could always go to:

https://community.purepla.net/profile.php?do=editoptions

Thread display options

Untick the 'Show Signatures' box

​​​​​​​?

Some forums have the option to include, or exclude, a signature in each post when you make it, doesn't seem to exist here.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Nice find Gwynd, nice find 👍👏👏👏
Gwyndy;44980:
If it really annoys you that much, you could always go to:

Untick the 'Show Signatures' box

I might miss something important! 🤓
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Hey 25 notes 😂😂😂, cake and eat it and all that 🙄😂😂😂😂😂😂
I love cake! Eating. Having. Putting marzipan and a cherry on top. It's the best of both worlds!
Bev;44990:
Hey 25 notes 😂😂😂, cake and eat it and all that 🙄😂😂😂😂😂😂
An update!
This is now on the tech roadmap.
It's been pencilled in for end of March release. We'll know for sure closer to the date.

​​​​​​​Nice one guys! 🙌
...only a month to go. I’m so excited!
Due to go live 25th March.
​​​​​​​It's all very exciting!!
I am truly beside myself!
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi 25
​​​​​​​If either of you know any good split personality jokes, now would be a good time to tell....
25 quid;50399:
I am truly beside myself!

This has been sorted. Nice idea @25 quid 😁
Oh yes, it’s working @Marc! 🤩

I hope we don’t lose it with the new platform...

Oh no, lost in new platform, @Marc another adjustment to add to your list of misunfortunatenesses. 

I’ve changed the status of this one as things are a little different now we’re on a new platform.

Something to do with missing cheese according to @25 quid :sweat_smile:

Hey @25 quid 

Now we’re all settled in with the Community platform change, what do you think about signatures on threads? 

The layout in this platform makes them less prominent, and there’s no longer the ability to add a list of bullet points and URLs… so I think it’s better, but wanted to get your opinion! 

Hey @Nataly,

I know what you mean, it is generally less annoying as they are mostly shorter now. I’d say it’s still a nice to have especially as it’s so easy to implement.

I did a test and noticed that my original code was mangled in the transition to the new platform. So I had a hack and here is a version that works for me and includes a little animation as the duplicates are hidden:

var seen = {};
$('#comments .signature').each(function() {
if (seen[txt])
$(this).hide(500);
else
seen[txt] = true;
});

I considered coding an explosion, but I think that’d be a step too far! 😉😂

Hey @Nataly,

I know what you mean, it is generally less annoying as they are mostly shorter now. I’d say it’s still a nice to have especially as it’s so easy to implement.

I did a test and noticed that my original code was mangled in the transition to the new platform. So I had a hack and here is a version that works for me and includes a little animation as the duplicates are hidden:

var seen = {};
$('#comments .signature').each(function() {
if (seen[txt])
$(this).hide(500);
else
seen[txt] = true;
});

I considered coding an explosion, but I think that’d be a step too far! 😉😂

Hahahah thanks @25 quid I have  no idea what this means.

Anyone?