Implemented

Punctuation errors

• 11 November 2020
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi there

Just some polishing for the website.

When I come to log in on the website but am already logged in on the app, the message below appears

“Look's like you're already logged in”

You don’t need an apostrophe in ‘looks’ (and it should really be “It looks”)

---------------------

When I then log out and log in again I get

“Lets verify your email”

You DO need an apostrophe in “let’s” as in “let us”.

best wishes

Ed

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Edmund81 

Well spotted.

...and from the main website

“Get your best price direct in 30 seconds”

Horrible...where do I start?

ugh….

Apostrophe errors aside, this is a consequence of the misguided attempt by lots of companies (Virgin and giffgaff spring to mind as examples) to deliberately sort of kind of (sic) display an intentionally fluffy friendly bonhomie informal approach, in the belief that it’s less likely to frighten customers.

It terrifies me.

Hi there

Just some polishing for the website.

When I come to log in on the website but am already logged in on the app, the message below appears

“Look's like you're already logged in”

You don’t need an apostrophe in ‘looks’ (and it should really be “It looks”)

---------------------

“Lets verify your email”

You DO need an apostrophe in “let’s” as in “let us”.

best wishes

Ed

Thanks for flagging these @Edmund81

Very happy to say the “Lets verify your email” is being corrected in an upcoming app/web release - it’s been driving us crazy too! :sweat_smile:

Hadn’t spotted the first one before, thanks! I’ve passed that on to our Tech team.

Userlevel 1

Thanks Nataly

Happy to proofread anything else you want to send me!

One of my ‘little bugbears’ my wife says

Cheers both

Hi,

Just to say, the below has been sorted in today’s app/web release:smiley:

“Lets verify your email”

We couldn’t quite sneak the other typo correction in to this update, but it’s in and ready to go for next month’s update :thumbsup:

Ah well, I may as well add this:

We’ve already had a discussion about ‘mensiversary / monthversary’ not ‘anniversary.’

‘(showing the months energy breakdown)’ - ‘months’ - plural, surely you mean ‘month’s’ - possessive, which oddly you use later in the answer?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

As well as the points @edmund81 rightly highlights, let us stop using “so” as many do when it is not needed, or spreading conversation and the written word with “like” or ‘didn’t  I“ and just as bad “kind of”  and “know what I mean”.

When somebody talking to me comes out with “Didn’t  I” I can’t resist saying “Did you?” You get a look of confusion. Or if it’s “Know what I mean?” Say “No, I don’t!”

As for the apostrophe I have a local Council who got it right naming one street on the estate I live on but on my road did not. When I mentioned it to them I received a response “Thank you for your contact. We have been out to inspect and there is nothing wrong on the signs on your road.”

Way, leek ah betta stop.

Returning briefly to my previous post.

It’s ‘may help’ not ‘might help’ - might is past tense, and you think ‘one of these may help’ as WattBot’s statement is referring to the present, not the past.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Returning briefly to my previous post.

It’s ‘may help’ not ‘might help’ - might is past tense, and you think ‘one of these may help’ as WattBot’s statement is referring to the present, not the past.

@Gwyndy

So I was here like and I sort of kind of agree innit…

Whilst you are entirely correct, may I point out that may vs might is also used in a probability defining sense where might is considered less probable than may. It may irritate to read this reply, but it might not. On the other hand it might irritate to read this reply but it may not -nope- I’ll go with the first.. Your mileage may vary but more to the point your fuel consumption may vary even though your mileage may not.

here boss, get yer smackers around this one too (ugh ugh double ugh..) from PP main website, it’s a disgrace as well as being factually inaccurate.

I might have overstepped the thin blue line…

I may have…

I definitely have...

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

The Oxford Dictionary defines might in the first instance as the past tense of may. It also though says it is used in a future context - “used to express possibility or make a suggestion.”

Of worse aspects about the use of our language are often seen in news headlines. A BBC one “Where do I wear a face mask?” The answer is “On your face”. 

A publican apparently has set up a one way system in his pub and put a sign up that reads “Customers caught exiting by this door will be asked to leave.”

Easy to criticise but we all fall foul of these errors from time to time.

‘(showing the months energy breakdown)’ - ‘months’ - plural, surely you mean ‘month’s’ - possessive, which oddly you use later in the answer?

Good spot! Luckily that one can be sorted straightaway - thanks for flagging it :thumbsup: