Priority Services Register Question/Suggestion

• 17 April 2019
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10
  • Rocket Scientist
  • 9734 replies
Idea Status: Not for us

​Do those who are an the PSR get any advance notice of when their meter is going to be read? If not then may I suggest they could perhaps get an email (or notification?) a week or two before with advance notice of when the meter reader will call. I can see all sorts of problems setting this up as the meter reading company would need to co-ordinate with you, OR if GDPR and clients allow it, you could give the meter reading company a list of names/emails My thinking here is that people on the register will want to know when to expect the meter reader. (prompted by THIS post)

7 replies

Badge +2
Hello @woz,

Every time we get a power cut the person I speak to when reporting it tells me I'm on the PSR. I thought this was a category for folks with vital medical equipment etc. I did ask once about the criteria and they explained I was on it due to my age!

Anyway, as someone who is (apparently) on the PSR, I have never been notified prior to the several visits I have had from meter readers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi Lenny
That is interesting...I thought you had to actively opt to be on the PSR, so that makes my suggestion even more useful (for those that may not even know they are on the register...?)

I think that alone merits some questions. Do you know were you on the PSR with your previous provider? (although if it is automatic perhaps you transcended some magical age marker since? - I'm certainly not asking your age!). But, if it is the case there is a discussion to be had here, if automatic it would be ageist and be akin to insisting on helping a less than perfectly sighted person across the road without asking them first (bearing in mind they may not even want to cross).

Hmmm...
Lenny;27832:
Hello @woz,

Every time we get a power cut the person I speak to when reporting it tells me I'm on the PSR. I thought this was a category for folks with vital medical equipment etc. I did ask once about the criteria and they explained I was on it due to my age!

Anyway, as someone who is (apparently) on the PSR, I have never been notified prior to the several visits I have had from meter readers.
Badge +2
Hello @woz,

Being told I'm on the PSR has only happened since moving to Cornwall (2011). I think this may be a coincidence though, as I was with Western Power (the people I ring for power interruptions) there, and still am with them in Cornwall.

Let's just say I won't be seeing the state pension age again?
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi Lenny
haha I wouldn't be too sure about that, they'll probably up the pension age to 90 and make it retrospective...(not that I'm suggesting anything about your age!...)
Have a look at this
found it while answering another post about PSR
Ironic you're on it when you didn't join, the other post was asking about how to "qualify"...
Lenny;27846:
Hello @woz,

Being told I'm on the PSR has only happened since moving to Cornwall (2011). I think this may be a coincidence though, as I was with Western Power (the people I ring for power interruptions) there, and still am with them in Cornwall.

Let's just say I won't be seeing the state pension age again?
Badge +2
Hello woz,

Yes - I'm hoping things won't take a "Logan's Run" turn...
Hi @woz
We're not really up for this because the meter reading companies will only give one month in advance, and are notorious for changing their plans.
So we believe that will just annoy our Members.
I'm going to put this down as a 'not for us'.
But! We are going to looking at prioritising those on PSR for smart meters. (Only when we're happy that smart meters are working properly, of course. So, not just yet).
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Imagine you’re an elderly or vulnerable customer with a meter indoors.
​Plan B then.