Under consideration

PP Smart Meter App

• 6 March 2021
  • 2 replies

It must be time for PP to produce a well written/constructed app that provides the readings and data the smart meter produces. PP are still one of the few suppliers ahead of the others with respect to its set up (well I ignore its Watbot in that statement!) and it may be more useful for consumers than jogging off to look at the smart meter, if of course you can remember where it is! The ideal place is enlarge the existing app with a smart meter connection whereby it can draw down active use and costs like the meter displays. I accept the meter is probably only sending readings to base but is aware of rates charged and “base” can feed the readings back to the app converting the data into clear kWhs for consumption and costs.

With this in the app users could set up rooms, devices etc. and you can quickly build a log of what things are generally costing. For example, you have rooms in the app. Kitchen for example. You go into the kitchen and switch the kettle on, that stimulates the meter and you add “kettle” to the kitchen. There are apps that do this, Smappee is one, it needs sensors which do no more then sense usage which you allocate to devices and the software can allocate a surge in power to particular devices. Not 100% accurate but a step in the right direction. Who needs Smappee or its equivalent when all the data is already available to PP where customers have smart meters?

As smart meters record usage let’s have it in a better form for the consumer. If PP improved its app with this facility it would help keep it ahead of competitors and reduce possibly the number of PP customers who cannot understand why they are being charged and for what, they always have at their finger tips the info needed. I am aware that some energy suppliers have produced apps but they have a bit to go yet. 

Anyway it is my big day next Wednesday. They are coming to install my gas smart meter. Over a year since they installed the electric one and in that time the applicable engineers have been on a course to learn how to use a screwdriver.

2 replies

Hello @G4RHL 

Well, this is a big one!

:nerd:

They are coming to install my gas smart meter. Over a year since they installed the electric one and in that time the applicable engineers have been on a course to learn how to use a screwdriver.

I find a precision alignment tool (aka hammer) to be great at encouraging recalcitrant equipment!