On hold

Parse illegal html characters in posts into their html entities

• 24 February 2020
  • 15 replies

Idea Status: On Hold

Sorry that’s gobblede****, but show it to a web geek and they’ll be able to stop characters like < from disappearing in posts.

OMG I’m not allowed to say 𝗴𝗼𝗯𝗯𝗹𝗲𝗱𝗲𝗴𝗼𝗼𝗸

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
original words in post deleted due to errr..precisely that - strangely it won't allow me to delete the post.. I wonder why? (I attempted sconethorpe that well known profanity filter favourite in Lincolnshire where they eat scones)but with a K - and it censored - I hate it when they're one step ahead, I shall have my revenge...
Lockdown is taking it's toll-
​​​​​​​Have you solved that wordplay yet Mark?
Gwyndy;51535:
Ah, the 'naughty words' list, truly a wonderful idea, if only it was capable of not replacing letters within words that aren't rude. It was horrible when a game said you had to find items that were 'scattered'.
Ah, the 'naughty words' list, truly a wonderful idea, if only it was capable of not replacing letters within words that aren't rude. It was horrible when a game said you had to find items that were 'scattered'.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
eh? I'm innocent until proven guilty...
Bev;51521:
OMG you’re sooooooo naughty!!!!! 🤭🤭🤭🤭🤭🤭🤭🤭😂😂😂😂😂
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
OMG you’re sooooooo naughty!!!!! 🤭🤭🤭🤭🤭🤭🤭🤭😂😂😂😂😂
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Fettle....
​​​​​​​it's a type of folding kettle and falls into the same nomenclature category as the folding bucket...
I do hope someone appreciates the subtlety of this reply...
25 quid;51392:
Yeah, probably will fettle it @Marc... @woz #waitingforwoztodefinefettle
Yeah, probably will fettle it @Marc... @woz #waitingforwoztodefinefettle
Hi.
I'm still a bit confused about this one.
Going to put this 'On Hold' for now. Our move to the new community platform may fix it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
for the uninitiated (disclaimer, this is a rabbit hole)
​​​​​​​https://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/rabbit-hole
25 quid;49098:
UPDATE: Rabbit hole warning!

I’ve been playing some more and it’s way less clear than this. I’d say maybe ask one of you pet devs to confirm there isn’t an unsafe code injection issue here and then walk away and make sure your new platform works better.
@Marc, don’t even ask about unsafe code injection. But it’s worth a quick check from a geek I think.
UPDATE: Rabbit hole warning!

I’ve been playing some more and it’s way less clear than this. I’d say maybe ask one of you pet devs to confirm there isn’t an unsafe code injection issue here and then walk away and make sure your new platform works better.
@Marc, don’t even ask about unsafe code injection. But it’s worth a quick check from a geek I think.
Hey @Marc, if I were to say that the number of turkeys were less than the number of people, I might write this as:turkey < people

However this forum which we know, like the turkey, only has a short life ahead of it, would show it as:turkey people

That’s because the < sign has a special meaning in the html from which webpages are built. When the forum spots these it removes them to avoid difficulties and hacks. However, cleverer software would read each post and replace (rather than remove) any disallowed characters with their equivalent special representation. In this case < would behind the scenes become &lt; thus ensuring the symbol appeared as intended and I didn’t create the faux pas of referencing the ridiculous idea of turkey people.

and yes, I manually parsed this post to do this work otherwise gibberish would have ensued.

In addition, I’ve just checked and the Preview function doesn’t actually preview this stripping away of illegal characters. It must happen after the preview is shown, so making the preview inaccurate. 🤥
Hey @25 quid
Aside from gobbles and/or g00king, whatever that is....
I'm not 100% sure what your idea is!

What does mean?
Parse illegal html characters in posts into their html entities

A bit more info or explainer would be great! 👍
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Best left alone, it may cross the undefined boundary...
on the other hand I seem to remember that Goblin Teasmades have been mentioned previously...
25 quid;49063:
Indeed, who knew. I’m not even going to go near the gobble joke opportunity...
Indeed, who knew. I’m not even going to go near the gobble joke opportunity...
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
who knew...
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
I'd have gone with gibberish, you lost me at parse