Implemented

Newbies don’t use search. Shove it in their face!

• 19 December 2019
  • 24 replies

Idea Status: Implemented

Maybe I've slightly overpitched there, but I'm sure you get the idea. πŸ˜‡

They rock up, and post a one line question that could have been instantly answered if they'd used the search. How about swapping the two first choices of the front page round and making it a little clearer what they do?

24 replies

Hey @25 quid
Ah yes, the Holy Grail there, getting people to use search more. πŸ™

We are actually reviewing the community platform, with a view to switching in 2020. There's going to be much, much more info about all that from me in January, and how the community can get involved.

Improving the search 'call to actions' is high up on the list of things we want to do better!

Out of interest do you know of other websites/forums which have good/prominent search? It could be useful 😁
Yeah @Marc, It's a challenge. https://discussions.apple.com/welcome puts the search front and centre...
Good morning @25 quid
Not sure if you'd spotted this post from @Gray4276 which has very similar suggesions as yours 😁
We're looking into it.
Hey @25 quid @Gray4276
Our tech team are working on this.
So we should be able to try it soon, see if it has the desired effect!
β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹πŸ‘
Marc;46334:
Hey @25 quid @Gray4276
Our tech team are working on this.
So we should be able to try it soon, see if it has the desired effect!
β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹πŸ‘

​​​​​​​Hey Marc, that's good to hear... However, how will you be able to gauge if people are using the "search facility"..... because, if they do, and find the answers they're looking for, then they won't be asking the question in the Forum. It's a bit of a "chicken and egg" type scenario.....?? πŸ€”
Silence is golden. Chicken and egg heaven! πŸ€“πŸ˜œ
Gray4276;46338:

...if they do, and find the answers they're looking for, then they won't be asking the question in the Forum. It's a bit of a "chicken and egg" type scenario.....?? πŸ€”
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Sadly search is all but useless...
Newbies wouldn't be much better off if they did use it unless it's radically improved. As a veteran search frustratee I can attest to that.
(Not helpful I know....)
later edit
I wonder if the addition of a bespoke site only google search field would help....some sites do that.
Yes, I use a https://cse.google.co.uk/cse/ and it works very well and can be custom integrated into a site via an easy API.
woz;46425:
Sadly search is all but useless...
I wonder if the addition of a bespoke site only google search field would help....some sites do that.
Hey @25 quid
A quick update.
This is currently being tested. Screengrab of test community here:

Looks like we should be able to get this pushed to the live community next Wednesday πŸ‘
The bug you reported about weird formatting after posting will be fixed in the same release.
Hi Marc,

This is still too "wishy-washy" for me...

They will still go straight for the...

"START A CONVERSATION"

Sorry to say but, it's just not RADICAL ​​​​​​​enough for me tbh
Worth a shot though @Gray4276. I guess @Marc's analytics could reveal what proportion of new thread starters have used search first. Could be interesting to monitor before and after next Wednesday. Thanks for the update! 🀞🏻 Bye bye bug too
Hi 25 Notes,

I agree....Something is better than Nothing
But currently a Newbie can access the Start a conversation in 3 places....2 on the homepage and 1 in the homepage menu.
My premise is that if they don't have to look for it....then they won't.
​​​​​​​
If PP have the ability to analyse the "usage" of the "search v start a conversation" then I await the results with baited breath.

I would have liked to see a BOLD​​​​​​​ change rather than a teeny-weeny baby step, which is what I feel this is.
​​​​​​
Hey guys

It is a small adjustment. We'll see how it goes before making more.
BTW did I mention that we have plans for a new community platform?
We are close to getting a signature on that.... which means I'll be able to say a lot more in the community. It'll give us the perfect opportunity to review what we're OK/good on, and where we can improve on stuff.
Userlevel 5
Badge
Not just a new platform (which I would welcome) with a good search engine, but an effort for more structure; encouragement for users to post in the right place; and provide a meaningful post subject line (e.g. the worst offenders are those who make posts entitled 'Smart meter' in the Smart Meter forum πŸ˜–

Sometimes you want to browse rather than search, but when there are pages and pages to wade through it's a headache πŸ™
Good morning @25 quid
The release has gone live today as planned. The search bar now sits above 'start a conversation'.
We'll see how much effect this has on search queries and new posts (ccing @Gray4276 here too)
Thanks again for suggesting this one. πŸ˜ƒ
Hey @Marc,

I've just searched for...
​​​​​​​
Start a conversation....and also for
Start a conversation. !!

Nothing found...(my original post)
​​​​​​
Gray4276;47382:
Hey @Marc,

I've just searched for...
​​​​​​​
Start a conversation....and also for
Start a conversation. !!

Nothing found...(my original post)
​​​​​​

Update:

Just done the same search on my Android tablet and got plenty of results. My earlier "test" was on my Android phone. Maybe it was just a "one off" glitch.......who knows ??πŸ€”
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Yep, definitely broken, a search for smart meters produced NO results, but found single search content type highlighted, change to multiple content type, scroll down and enter keywords and then search now provides result. Newbies are not going to do that, they will take no results as the answer and post to the community as normal
​​​​​​​Using Android phone
Thanks @Duppy @Gray4276
Tech team are on it. Desktop is OK, mobile is most definitely not
Marc;47402:
Thanks @Duppy @Gray4276
Tech team are on it. Desktop is OK, mobile is most definitely not

Hey @Marc,

​​​​​​​I'm glad it's a bug......started to think it was ME.....heaven forbid 😎🀣😏
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
are they mutually exclusive?πŸ€“
Gray4276;47405:

Hey @Marc,

​​​​​​​I'm glad it's a bug......started to think it was ME.....heaven forbid 😎🀣😏
All fixed now, phew!
Thanks again for flagging it.
woz;47409:
are they mutually exclusive?πŸ€“

​​​​​​​Now now woz.....that's cheeky.....but then again, you knew that πŸ˜ŽπŸ˜‰πŸ€£πŸ‘
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
haha I did, just couldn't resist...(one day it will be my downfall---too late...)
Gray4276;47425:

​​​​​​​Now now woz.....that's cheeky.....but then again, you knew that πŸ˜ŽπŸ˜‰πŸ€£πŸ‘