• 19 September 2018
  • 43 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8
  • Rocket Scientist
  • 4581 replies
Idea Status: Implemented

Idea for Community

Photo thread / monthly competitition, for members to simply post amateur photos they’ve taken for fun, then moderator Marc awards points, for eg.

43 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
I like this idea. Maybe once we had 12 winners then they could be made into a charity calendar to raise a bit of cash to buy some trees or help out some vulnerable customers.
Hey @Bev this is a great idea! :)
It should be renewable energy related? Otherwise we may end up with a few too many photos of people's cats? (Not that I mind cats, I love cats! But you know what I mean...?!)
I can see how it could be connected to community points too.
And I love the suggestion from @Jon1 about making a Pure Planet calendar from the winners. Probably digital only? What do you think @Bev ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
I’m super super chuffed 🙀👍👏🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉, proper thrilled!

Love the calendar idea too, Jon 📆👏, and indeed I agree Marc re limiting the topic, otherwise inundated for sure 👍.

thanks for liking community points correlation too 👍

wonderful 👍👏😊
OK. So I'm liking this idea of 12 photo 'challenges' - one per month - over a year. Starting Jan 2019?
As @Bev suggests, each month's winner would also earn extra community points (as well as praise and admiration from fellow members, of course!)
And then compile all the winners from the 12 months of 2019 into a 2020 calendar, @Jon1 ?

Question: Should the photos have a theme each month? Or keep it open to make it simple?
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Yay well done bev an idea coming to the fore.

If a calendar is to be made available maybe the competition should start in dec 18 so that in dec 19 is when calendar is put out there so to speak before new year begins.
Each month should have some sort of theme or at least some sort of theme in general.
Surly someone in bath can make 100 hard copies of a calendar cheap enough to be able to sell them for less than a fiver and still raise some charity cash.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Either / Or, re theme. No preference there, whichever you think best, but thanks both 👍👏. Really thrilled!
A quick update, sort of ;)
So we're loving this idea @Bev
I also think kicking off in December is a good shout @Jon1
But we have discovered a platform bug which means adding photos to threads (as a reply) from a mobile doesn't work well, if at all.
For community members to get involved in a monthly photo competition, it's obvs pretty important that they can easily add their pics!
I'm chatting to our community tech team on getting this bug fixed asap
🆙
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Couldn’t agree more, cos you know from my own experience of adding pics from iPad, they never work 😂😂😂👎, and then it’ll just put enthusiastic members off from even trying again. So no rush, make sure all fully works first 👍. Perfect 👏
Bev;13738:
it’ll just put enthusiastic members off from even trying again. So no rush, make sure all fully works first

My thoughts exactly @Bev
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
👍👏👏👏
New update on this @Bev
The issue about Members not being able to post photos in 'replies' to a thread is scheduled to be fixed in December.
The work will be done in November, tested early December, and released mid-December.
So this looks like a good community project to see in the New Year :)

Sorry @Jon1 that we won't be able to start earlier
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Perfect 👏👏👏
Userlevel 6
As a keen photographer myself I will be looking forward to this next year. Nice one @Bev ;)

Just need to watch out for the "google image" search cheaters :mad:

(Entrants should register their camera details which can be verified in the images metadata). Not full proof and perhaps over the top though. It just needs trust??!!)
dgilbert2;15517:
As a keen photographer myself I will be looking forward to this next year. Nice one @Bev ;)

Just need to watch out for the "google image" search cheaters :mad:

(Entrants should register their camera details which can be verified in the images metadata). Not full proof and perhaps over the top though. It just needs trust??!!)

Great to hear you're up for it too @dgilbert2
What kind of photography are you into?
Yes agree we'll need to keep an eye out for any dodgy entries.... But I'm going to give everyone the benefit of the doubt to start with - I think we're an honest bunch here! 😮
Userlevel 6
Marc;15700:

What kind of photography are you into?

@Marc, travel photography mainly and the mandatory family shots 🙂. I then like to put them into a slideshow and add music to make it more interesting. May wife is a big fan and watches them for hours for some reason! 🆒
Good morning @Bev @Jon1
We'd chatted about starting the monthly photo comp from Jan 2019. I'm waiting for the various photo bugs to be fixed. I thought it would be best to get those sorted first, otherwise it could cause some frustrations!
The two main issues are:
Photos not appearing in replies when posted from a mobile or tablet.
Photos appearing sideways.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
That’s fine Marc, deffo want it all working perfectly before starting it. Have to say tho, I’m managing to post photographs fine now from iPad 📸📱👍
Hi @Bev @Jon1

So the good news is that the photos bug was fixed in the big community platform release last month. (Really hoping I don't jinx it!).
This means we can chat about a monthly photo challenge/competition again.:D
I've taken part in these before, and it's important that we have commitment from people before we start, otherwise it can quickly get lost and forgotten about.

This is what we've talked about so far.

- A monthly photo challenge.
- Each month I'll create a new thread in the community for that month's entries.
- Each month a new theme is picked.
- All photos must be original, owned by the Member (and not stolen from the internet!)
- The winning photo is the one that gets the most likes, and in the event of a tie or evidence of skewing of likes I'll pick one
- The winner gets to choose the next month's theme
- We'll look at producing a calendar (digital only or printed?) using top pics from the previous year.

Have I missed anything?
Looping in some more Members who've recently starting taking part in the ideas board section @Lenny @Oakbank @David j @NannyOgg @Angelabikerbabe @Skill @JennyR68 - though of course I don't know how many of you like to take photos! But it would be good to get your input before we launch it.:raisinghands:
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Oh fab, Marc! Very pleased! Nice simple rules, and cannot see that you have missed anything. Love the fact that the winner picks the next months theme, and love the fact that it’s recognised that commitment is key, cos my big worry is it’ll soon get forgotten otherwise.

i think peeps generally enjoy taking pics for fun, and will enjoy the light hearted competition. Everyone enjoys competing.

maybe month one could be a pilot, just to see how it goes, then go live maybe 1st April? 🎉🎉🎉🎉
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Woohoo,
Firstly well done on this, only concern i see is keeping people interested enough to send in pictures on a regular basis. If any community points are going to be diverted into this then maybe highlight that. Nothing like a freebie to gain some interest. Maybe send a voucher to the winner monthly instead of points?
Maybe a couple of bonus rounds in order to get 12 winners by december so your calendar ready in time for 2020.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
I think encouragement by reward points or voucher is really good idea👍, as already it’s encouraging newbies to post more. Be a shame if interest wained, as think it’s got potential.

Forgot to say, no limit Marc on number of pics members can submit each month. As many as they choose 👍
Userlevel 5
Nice idea, sounds good to me.
Userlevel 5
Badge
Any rules on post processing? There can be a big difference between a photo someone has snapped on their mobile/camera and another that has been photo-shopped galore.

Not saying either way is right or wrong....just asking in advance is all.

I love the idea of a photo competition, but never seem to get around to taking photo's to fit the theme. Oh, that raises another question.....does the photo have to be taken in the month the competition is for (i.e. only photos taken in February 19 can be entered into Feb 19 photo competition?) Or can photo's taken in the past that fit the theme be included for consideration?

Again, no right or wrong answer, but other forums do restrict on photos taken that month to encourage people to actually take photos that month.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Thanks for your questions Jen. I personally don’t think the photo has to be taken in the month it’s being entered into, no. After all, for eg if the theme was say summer holidays, it’d be a bit tricky trying to snap in January 😂but very valid question 👍, and Marc, I’m sure, will clarify for certain.

Not up on all this photo shop stuff, but think it’s adding all that filter rubbish and malarkey, and IMO that’d be cheating a tad. I like pure simple snaps, by amateurs, for fun, snapped impulsively on phones and tablets, and have nice bit of fun. Again, Marc will confirm, Jen. Thanks 👍👏👏👏
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
BTW I think there should be a new badge, for Photo Competitors 📸👍😂