improvement for search options

• 20 September 2018
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
  • Rocket Scientist
  • 10970 replies
Idea Status: Implemented

A dedicated button on the ideas board page to allow searching within the ideas board only and more (better) refinement options on the advanced search (by selected board and by combinations of keyword1 AND keyword2 AND keyword3 (finds only posts with all 3 keywords)

14 replies

This makes a lot of sense @woz
We have something nearly there with advanced search
But it doesn't give the option to search within a specific board only.
I've asked the tech team to look into it 🆙

Would others use this too, do you think?
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
I use the search button very occasionally (like just tonight, in fact, to search for Clooney🤣as couldn’t remember which thread I’d previously mentioned him) but tbh prob only third time used it in 10 months.
Hi @woz
Did you know that you can already search a specific board only?
There's a line of text at the top of each board called "search forum" which enables members to, er, search that forum/board only.
Here it is:

The thing is, I hadn't actually noticed it before. :p
Ten months as community manager and I learn something new every day!
Does this work for you @woz ?
Had you seen it @Bev ?

(I'm thinking we need to make it more prominent :rolleyes: As part of the main search bar)
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
I rarely need to use search, so had only searched in general, not the actual Advanced option, no Marc. Good idea to make it a lot more prominent tho, then would prob make lot more use of it. Thanks 👏👍
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Theres a search button.

I really need to move into the 21st century.........fail
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
LOL 🤪😂😂😂
Marc;12909:
Hi @woz
Did you know that you can already search a specific board only?
There's a line of text at the top of each board called "search forum" which enables members to, er, search that forum/board only.
Here it is:

The thing is, I hadn't actually noticed it before. :p
Ten months as community manager and I learn something new every day!
Does this work for you @woz ?
Had you seen it @Bev ?

(I'm thinking we need to make it more prominent :rolleyes: As part of the main search bar)

Hi @woz @Jon1 @Bev
Thing is, I've just realised that this 'search forum' option only works on desktop.
So it's not the solution.
I've flagged this up to the tech team to see what can be done.

And to be honest I think it needs to be added to the 'main' search bar at the top of the community anyway. Do you agree?
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
I’ve used the standard search a few times lately, after saying I hardly use it, and seems suffice as it is to me tbh 👍
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
hi @Marc
It is there on the mobile platform if you go into landscape mode (so still needs a tweak, but half way there...)
Marc;13971:
Hi @woz @Jon1 @Bev
Thing is, I've just realised that this 'search forum' option only works on desktop.
So it's not the solution.
I've flagged this up to the tech team to see what can be done.

And to be honest I think it needs to be added to the 'main' search bar at the top of the community anyway. Do you agree?
woz;14032:
It is there on the mobile platform if you go into landscape mode (so still needs a tweak, but half way there...)

Ha! So it is! Amazing.... Well I learn something new every day :D
That's promising because it means it's not a functionality thing, but a design decision. (A bad design decision IMHO....)
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Agreed
Marc;14073:
Ha! So it is! Amazing.... Well I learn something new every day :D
That's promising because it means it's not a functionality thing, but a design decision. (A bad design decision IMHO....)
Hi @woz
Update on this idea for you.
Our tech guys are looking into adding the search forum to mobile in portrait mode.
We're working a homepage refresh, as I'm sure you know! So the question the tech team are looking into is whether they sort this issue at the same time, or wait until the homepage design work is done first.
Userlevel 6
One on the searching theme, when starting to create a new post and enter text into the Subject field, some forums then will search for similar threads and offer them before continuing with the new post. May save on a lot of similar threads?
Hi @woz
Search a specific forum is now a thing!
Great idea - thanks for suggesting this one. :)
At the top of each board there's now a search forum option (next to community tools).