Implemented

If we put '@' before a member's username, does that guarantee they get notified of a response?

• 16 January 2020
  • 6 replies

Idea Status: We're Looking Into It

I just wondered as we seem to get issues with people not reading answers to their new threads.

If we put '@' before their username, does that guarantee they get notified that we have responded?
Do they automatically get one just because we respond?
Is it all down to what preferences they have entered in their profile?

I thank you in advance.

Doghouse shuffle.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi Gwyndy
I think a test is required, the only setting I can see in settings general is this and I've never turned it off although I can't remember what the original default is.

But as you say I have had notification mails when someone has typed @myusername but I've always thought it was "baked in"
so here is my first test... @Gwyndy
(it's time to vacate the kennel I feel..)
Hi @woz.

I have received an email, but I will need to check what my settings are.

Thanks
​​​​​​​Mark
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
yep, me too thanks Mark, dunno if it can be switched off but I can't see why you'd need to. Other filters are available (in email).
Gwyndy;46529:
Hi @woz.

I have received an email, but I will need to check what my settings are.

Thanks
​​​​​​​Mark
Hi @Gwyndy
Is the idea that they should all get a notification as a default?
What kind of notification works best?
Hi Marc

My thread following mode is set to 'through app inbox' - however, I still get notifications via email whenever someone 'quotes' me, or 'mentions' me, which is why I've asked the question.

Is the 'default' position that members are all notified via email if they are quoted or mentioned?

If not, could it be?

I know that new members may still turn the thing off, but seeing how many members appear to ignore answers to their questions, I'm just wondering what we can do to make sure that answers are seen?

Mark
​​​​​​​

Hi @Gwyndy 

Good news! Users do now indeed get notifications when they’re mentioned.

We’re hopeful that this will be a useful way of community Members (espec newcomers) finding out when their question has been answered.