We're looking into it

Hide comments.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Idea Status: Under Consideration

I will use the may photo competition as an example. But there are other categories that it would apply to also.

For this example would it be possible to make comments a sub cat so that they are not seen or written unless the user wishes to view or comment. The may competition as far as i can tell had 6 entries and 56 comments.
What if only entries are visable and if i want to comment on an entry then i need to click on it and then read and comment on that entry. This comment would not be visable unless i click to see it.
I feel this would save people having to scroll all 56 comments over 3 pages to see all the entries,instead initially all the would be visable are the 6 entries.

Have i explained that properly ???

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Good point, you'd need an add comment link below the posts, and a view comments link whence comments would become VISIBLE. I've seen it done on other portals but I fear this isn't designed that way.

Jon1;31391:
I will use the may photo competition as an example. But there are other categories that it would apply to also.

For this example would it be possible to make comments a sub cat so that they are not seen or written unless the user wishes to view or comment. The may competition as far as i can tell had 6 entries and 56 comments.
What if only entries are visable and if i want to comment on an entry then i need to click on it and then read and comment on that entry. This comment would not be visable unless i click to see it.
I feel this would save people having to scroll all 56 comments over 3 pages to see all the entries,instead initially all the would be visable are the 6 entries.

Have i explained that properly ???
would it be possible to make comments a sub cat so that they are not seen or written unless the user wishes to view or comment.

This comment would not be visable unless i click to see it. I feel this would save people having to scroll all 56 comments over 3 pages

Hi @Jon1
I think I follow. Are you describing 'nested' comments? That is, where people comment on a comment, rather than on the original post. It creates a thread of comments of their own which are then 'nested' within another thread.

Example: I start a new thread about apples v bananas. You and @woz enter a big debate about apples and bananas. In the course of the debate, you mention pears. Then @Bev comes along and posts a reply to your post about the pears, asking whether you meant prickly or comice. You reply to @Bev that you meant prickly. Then @Scubaseahorse replies that she makes jelly from prickly pears.
So, forgive the weird example, but what would happen in that instance is that the pears conversation becomes nested within the apples & bananas thread. And that the stuff about pears should be hidden if you're not interested, or expanded and viewable if you are.

Right I'm off to eat some fruit....... 😛
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
Yes @Marc, I think that's what @Jon1 meant - similar to the the way Facebook appears, you add a new comment or you reply to one of the comments which only appears in full if you tap it.
By the way - I never make prickly pear jelly, only lemon curd and strawberry jam 😁😁
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ LOL sooooo much at the example 🍏🍐🍌. Funny, like it πŸ‘πŸ‘.

But no no no no no to the theory. Too too too messy. Easy enough to scroll to last page, and use Pinkys to see new comments daily. No no no to this, sorry Jonny πŸ‘Ž. Way way way too fiddly farty.

btw I’m more πŸ“πŸ“πŸ“πŸ“πŸ“than prickly πŸπŸπŸπŸπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚