We're looking into it

Fix jumpy page rendering.

Bad Cumulative Layout Shift (CLS) means that when I visit a page it doesn’t sit still. This makes it hard to read as it jumps as it loads. Look at the community’s diabolical page speed score
As a minimum sort out the fact that some late rendering element at the top of the page makes is impossible to land at the right point when linking part way down the page. E.g. tapping 6 new on the While you were away link doesn’t show the correct post. 

17 replies

When posting this I was told to select a subject. Actually, it wanted me to select a Section. Sort out your validation messages.

happy Sunday. Sorry to sound narked… just helping 😘

Out of interest @25 quid does the jumpy happen when reading a post, or when creating one?

Also - it’ll prob come up - what device are you using, and browser?

It’s pretty much all the time on most pages including the home page (I sighed as I logged in a moment ago). I think images on posts make it worse. Perhaps they lazyload and don’t have a correctly sized placeholder to prevent layout jumps?

As you suspected, I’m an Apple boy, so Safari is my preferred tool of choice on MacOS or iOS. Good luck improving that 18/100 score!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

When posting this I was told to select a subject. Actually, it wanted me to select a Section. Sort out your validation messages.

happy Sunday. Sorry to sound narked… just helping 😘

@25 quid Agreed, already mentioned, I just can’t remember where...(possibly in the ideas but it matters not.)

When posting this I was told to select a subject.

Hello @25 quid 

I may be losing it here (:thinking: ) but I don’t see ‘subject’. I see ‘sections’.

Where have you been asked to select a ‘subject’?

Yes, the validation message was wrong. When I didn’t enter a value. 

Found it @25 quid :thumbsup:

It’s when you try and post a new, er, post and don’t choose a section for it to go in. For some reason the warning states you need to choose a ‘subject’ when it should, obvs, say ‘section’.

Great! Now the bonus glitch is sorted, back to our regular programming; jumpy page rendering. 🥳

I always like to to get the bonus glitches fixed first @25 quid :lying_face:

The jumpy page issue has been raised with Insided. I think this is their remit, might be ours. We’ll find out soon enough!

An extra Did this help you find an answer to your question prompt pops up when starting to scroll back up if the original prompt at the top of the page is not visible. The way it’s built means that the whole page jumps as you’re showing the extra sticky prompt at the bottom of the window.

It’s ugly, unnecessary and disconcerting. Better programming could avoid the page jump.

At least I can attach a video (disguised inside a zip) now. 🤓

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Are those happiness surveys being used btw?! 🤷‍♀️

Who knows? But I’m happy. I’ll be even happier if pages don’t jump as they load and scroll… 🥴

Are those happiness surveys being used btw?! 🤷‍♀️

Yes @Bev :slight_smile:

They give us an indication of how useful and FAQ or community post is to the reader/Member.

Of course it’s not definitive. I mean, someone could still be unhappy even if the post or FAQ gives them the exact info they’re looking for.

Thanks for this feedback @25 quid :thumbsup:

I’ve moved to the feedback area from the ideas board, as it’s feedback about what looks like a bug.

(Speaking of bugs, there’s another bug whereby a post moved out of the ideas board still retains its ‘new’ idea label. Tech guys are looking into that one!) 

Thanks for this feedback @25 quid :thumbsup:

I’ve moved to the feedback area from the ideas board, as it’s feedback about what looks like a bug.

(Speaking of bugs, there’s another bug whereby a post moved out of the ideas board still retains its ‘new’ idea label. Tech guys are looking into that one!) 

Hello again @25 quid :slight_smile:

I just spotted that we already have an idea submitted for the ‘jumpy page’ fix so I’ve now moved the posts about the feedback emojis causing jumpiness. So it’s all in one place.

Ah, Mondays….

Fair enough @Marc, but I suspect they are two different causes…

Fair enough @Marc, but I suspect they are two different causes…

Could be @25 quid :thumbsup::thinking: