Implemented

FAQ on how we calculate 12 month spending projection? (and how it's presented)

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
  • Rocket Scientist
  • 10695 replies

The algorithm used to calculate the 12 month spending projection seems very strange.
(caveat, assuming at least 12 months usage)

Can you tell us how these figures are presently calculated?
I have no idea what it's looking at , but it should be looking at at least 12 of the previous months if not 16 on a rolling basis and adding each months consumption, and dividing by the number of months and multiplying by 12.
It clearly isn't doing that, or at least not on my statements. I know that because the variation in projected gas is very large, less so electricity but then that is a more of constant figure.

Also may I suggest it's broken down in the top section to cost of fuel and monthly fee(less any discount) rather than having to do the sums.
The kWh are lower down, (which is good:raisinghands: ) but they too seem similarly afflicted.

My annual gas consumption varies by a relatively large amount month to month, but it shouldn't.
Putting aside weather variations it should be fairly similar wherever I start.

As ever I may be wrong and comments from others welcome...

10 replies

Hey @woz
This one seems to have been neglected.
I'm thinking an FAQ along the lines of 'how we calculate your annual energy spending'?
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
hi marc, all info is useful but in this case not unless it includes details of how and why you arrive at those figures on the rhs of the bill. ( and the algorithm is suspect imo)
customers have 2 options, blindly accepting them with the distinct possibility of a future screw up or at least know why they may not be the definitive guide to their future usage.

This is now being worked on! Ooof, we’ll get there, one day :laughing:

Great idea @woz 

Happy to say that this new FAQ is now live:relaxed:

The timing is pretty good, as we’re approaching the change to colder (higher) monthly payments.

We’re planning to send an email to all Members over the next few days to let them know, well in advance. And as usual we’ll post about it in the community :thumbsup:

We’re planning to send an email to all Members over the next few days to let them know, well in advance. And as usual we’ll post about it in the community :thumbsup:

My mistake. We’re emailing all new Members who joined over the summer about the winter increase in DDs. That is, those who’ve joined PP during the summer period and won’t have gone through ‘the change’ before. 

Hahaha, oh dear I’ve clearly have some ‘moments’ this week.

I was wrong… twice.

What’s really happening is that today we’re emailing all Members except those who joined us in August, as these new Members are already getting lots of communications from PP, and we don’t want to overwhelm them with yet another email.

Are 'they' confusing you with 'too much information' Marc?

Yes! Our friends in marketing. :laughing:

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Yes! Our friends in marketing. :laughing:

Look on the bright side, at least they’re still your friends...

Userlevel 4

The algorithm used to calculate the 12 month spending projection seems very strange.
(caveat, assuming at least 12 months usage)

Can you tell us how these figures are presently calculated?
I have no idea what it's looking at , but it should be looking at at least 12 of the previous months if not 16 on a rolling basis and adding each months consumption, and dividing by the number of months and multiplying by 12.
It clearly isn't doing that, or at least not on my statements. I know that because the variation in projected gas is very large, less so electricity but then that is a more of constant figure.

Also may I suggest it's broken down in the top section to cost of fuel and monthly fee(less any discount) rather than having to do the sums.
The kWh are lower down, (which is good:raisinghands: ) but they too seem similarly afflicted.

My annual gas consumption varies by a relatively large amount month to month, but it shouldn't.
Putting aside weather variations it should be fairly similar wherever I start.

As ever I may be wrong and comments from others welcome...

I believe the basis if these are by using accurate reads 12 months apart, but if the read from 12 months previous is an estimated read it goes back further till it finds an actuate read, 

I've always found projections to never be accurate and they are just guess work, 

I've always worked my own out with what I've actually used the year before & then calculated by current costs to get a rough idea & hope we don't have a worse winter lol

I'm excited to see what my costs will be over here as with my prev supplier my winter usage varied from £180pm gas to £270…