We're looking into it

Different ways to login to the app

• 18 November 2018
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 6

Is it time to re-think the email login loop that we go through for new accounts or when changing to new devices / browsers etc?

It feels from the community it causes users more trouble than its worth?

Would it be better to have a one-off email verification type email and then a traditional login name / password / (+ security question?) 😕

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, you can’t beat the BT app (MY BT) log in process, which is simply a four digit password, it’s sooooooooo effective and swift. Love love love it 👍👍👍👏👏👏👏👏👏👏
Userlevel 6
Bev;16924:
I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, you can’t beat the BT app (MY BT) log in process, which is simply a four digit password, it’s sooooooooo effective and swift. Love love love it

Then those devices with Face or finger print ID, its gets better and better? 😮
Badge +2
Yes - this causes so much frustration - I nearly abandoned my switch because of it and I'm now so glad I didn't.

Incidentally I still don't know how I broke the cycle...
Very interesting idea @Gil
Nice for posting it.
I know @Georgie has plans.... 🙂
Userlevel 6
Marc;17895:
Very interesting idea @Gil
Nice for posting it.
I know @Georgie has plans.... :)

Sounds interesting, look forward to knowing more when you have the detail 🙂
Hi @Gil
The login 'loop' issue - there was an app release this week which fixed the loop. (Squared the loop? Cut the loop?)

But we are looking closer at the login process.

A question from me:
Why would you want to log out and login to your app. Why don't you just stay logged in?
(Not counting the small number of Members like @Bev who manage two different Pure Planet accounts through one device).
Serious question.
Userlevel 6
Hi @Marc, my point really was why every time you login do we have to go through the email loop? For me, the only time this is needed is when cookies get cleared :)

Just seems an unnecessary and often problematic step once the email address in confirmed.
Hi @Bev @Lenny
A quick update.
Ever since we put a stop to the open app link from email, we've seen a massive drop in the number of people caught in the 'login loop'. It used to happen a lot, now hardly ever.
Eventually yes we'll bring in login with Face ID, pin code, fingerprint.....
Though I'm still confused/unsure as to why people would want to log out? We don't log people out by default - which is what banking and mobile phone apps do. 😕
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Marc, just to clarify. As you mentioned earlier, I log out in order to log into the second account for parents, but only once a month which is no problem at all.

But the regular logging out I do, or sometimes the system logs me out now and then, but think that may be to do with if I change my cookies 🍪🍪🍪setting, think there could be a correlation there but not certain, but deffo seems to happen if PP app is in bg, whilst I’m doing something else in google say.

But anyway, the log out, is when I’ve finished on COMMUNITY. So yes, I never ever log out via Home page unless sending parents readings, but daily log out of community as assumed that was the norm? Don’t I need to do that then? I click on my avatar, and log off there.

But yes, the four digit code I suggested, like BT, I was thinking for the main log in, which I’d use just monthly yes.
Bev;24198:

But anyway, the log out, is when I’ve finished on COMMUNITY. So yes, I never ever log out via Home page unless sending parents readings, but daily log out of community as assumed that was the norm? Don’t I need to do that then? I click on my avatar, and log off there.

There's no reason to logout of the community @Bev
At least I can't think of one! 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Thanks Marc 👍👏, wasn’t sure 🤷*♀️as know it lets you know how many members are online and who, so was thinking if I wasn’t playing, I should really log out 🤷*♀️, but I can leave it all logged in then 👍
Userlevel 5
Badge
A lot of people log out of every website they have to login to. They feel it is a security thing that they must do.

I rarely choose to logout of anything as most apps/browsers kill sessions pretty quick when not active.

Banks etc always kill sessions which are the most important ones really.

Please help , this is no help .I just get the option to use thumb / finger log in . I only can use a passcode number ?

If there is no solution I will have to just change supplier again 

Being able to use Face ID or finger print would be better.

Plus remove the need to keep showing the privacy notice. I find it appears even when I have not cleared history or changed IP address. I suspect it may be because the system does not like the fact I always go in to change the settings when faced with the notice rather than accept the illegal default ones.