Working on it

Dedicated Landlord section

Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Idea Status: Working On It

There have been quite a few questions from landlords/letting agents about registering their now empty property, understandably some seem reluctant to "switch " which involves estimated use, setting up DD' s etc , when in most cases the property will only be empty a matter of weeks or even days.

By setting up a landlord section, the landlord can enter the property address and the meter readings which should tally with PP' s records of the outgoing tenant, and add the details of the landlord etc.

When new tenants move in, the landlord again takes a reading and sends to PP, and informs tenant that the property is supplied by PP and how to join via app/web.

This would avoid the 17 day switch process during which time the property may be relet, having to guess estimated yearly usage ( for a few weeks ) and also having to enter bank details.
When PP receive the final read they can calculate and send the bill to the landlords postal or email address, with details of how to pay.

​This would be more convenient, time and cost saving for both PP and the landlord.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
A good idea but for one thing, it takes control of the energy co, and puts it in the hands of the landlord, but if it was possible to facilitate a name change only on the account (with credential/credit checks too) that would work. I suspect it isn't that easy as otherwise it would be done by others.
Besides which the tenant may wish to switch out as is their right (depending on the contract)
Duppy;33849:
​​There have been quite a few questions from landlords/letting agents about registering their now empty property, understandably some seem reluctant to "switch " which involves estimated use, setting up DD' s etc , when in most cases the property will only be empty a matter of weeks or even days.

By setting up a landlord section, the landlord can enter the property address and the meter readings which should tally with PP' s records of the outgoing tenant, and add the details of the landlord etc.

When new tenants move in, the landlord again takes a reading and sends to PP, and informs tenant that the property is supplied by PP and how to join via app/web.

This would avoid the 17 day switch process during which time the property may be relet, having to guess estimated yearly usage ( for a few weeks ) and also having to enter bank details.
When PP receive the final read they can calculate and send the bill to the landlords postal or email address, with details of how to pay.

​This would be more convenient, time and cost saving for both PP and the landlord.
Hi @Duppy
This is a great idea!
To start with I'm thinking an FAQ aimed at landlords which outlines the steps they need to take.
Beyond that we could look into an account management solution for landlords. I'll see if this is possible from a legal point of view, too.
A bit late to the party I know, but is this for :-

A. Landlords who are PP customers and resell to their tenants or cover the account with a prepayment meter or
B, Where one tenant moves out and the landlord want to use PP until the next tenant moves in?

For A if a smart meter is fitted they could either take a reading from their IHD or have some request via a link on their landlord page that a reading be taken on a certain day and get an interim statement produced so that they know how much to deduct from prepayments monies, security deposits etc. When a new tenant moves in the landlord does the same again and an interim statement can be produced to cover that period. Things then carry on as normal.

For B, If the last tenant or the next tenant want to use a different supplier this could be a problem, but if a smart meter was fitted and the landlord was already a PP customer with a valid DD even if it was on a dormant account as the tenant was with another supplier then the switch could be completed quickly. Of course the new tenant may want to stay with PP but they wouldn't be forced to.

I know option B may require some form of inter supplier co-operation and that is probably as easy as herding cats.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
I posted about this yesterday, probably lost in all of the other noise; there is a huge difficulty here.
What's perhaps needed is the option of a primary and secondary section on the account, the landlord or letting agent is the primary and the tenant is the secondary. That way all that would be needed is to keep the same PP account relating to the property/meters but move the credentials (email/bank account) between the two.
If the tenant wanted to move the account would simply close as normal.
It would require a tickbox or two on the sign up, is this your property are you a tenant/a landlord or a letting agent etc.
I know it's not that simple
woz;35485:
I posted about this yesterday,

Couldn't find it in this thread may be it's in another thread or my idea is in the wrong thread.

What I was trying to do was put a modern slant on what used to happen years ago (think CEGB and region Electricity boards) and how by using a smart meter as a modern day meter reader. Also in the olden days of pencils the meter reading sheets would have notes that a certain name was a landlord hence explaining why the name keeps cropping up or why credit checks were not needed.

To advance this on may be we need ideas input from landlords/letting agencies to see what service they want PP to provide.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
I concur. (It was comment in a different thread about the letting agent, not a main post)
I absolutely agree it needs fixing, half (not literally) the population is renting now so it's not a minority issue. As things stand It's too difficult for landlords and letting agents, but not that it's mitigation, I suspect the same thing is true with other companies.
​The communication channels just further break the already broken cadence.
X Driver;35489:
Couldn't find it in this thread may be it's in another thread or my idea is in the wrong thread.

What I was trying to do was put a modern slant on what used to happen years ago (think CEGB and region Electricity boards) and how by using a smart meter as a modern day meter reader. Also in the olden days of pencils the meter reading sheets would have notes that a certain name was a landlord hence explaining why the name keeps cropping up or why credit checks were not needed.

To advance this on may be we need ideas input from landlords/letting agencies to see what service they want PP to provide.
This is a problem when one thread overlaps another.
woz;35485:

What's perhaps needed is the option of a primary and secondary section on the account, the landlord or letting agent is the primary and the tenant is the secondary.

Hi @woz
Yes, something like this. This is linked to the work we're going to carry out so Members can manage multiple accounts.
For the short term we're looking into building a form for app/web that estate agents and landlords can fill out. Instead of having to join PP to pay for, say, a week's worth of electricity while a property was empty between tenants, the form will take their details and we'll process a payment.
That and some FAQs for landlords/agents 🆙
Hi everyone,

As @Marc mentioned, here's a new FAQ guide for landlords and letting agents to help explain how they can manage the account for the gap between tenants 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
hi Nat
​I'm confused, which part of the process delineates between landlord and tenant if any part?
This is either unclear or nothing appears to have changed?
Nataly;36932:
Hi everyone,

As @Marc mentioned, here's a new FAQ guide for landlords and letting agents to help explain how they can manage the account for the gap between tenants :)